Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He greatly values depth. 

It’s almost like he’s worried to rely on the farm system he did such a great job building.

Yes but if Hays got hurt tomorrow is Elias bringing up Kjerstad or Mayo? 

No he's bringing up Peyton Burdick or claiming someone off waivers.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He greatly values depth. 

It’s almost like he’s worried to rely on the farm system he did such a great job building.

At the same time he's also said the number one goal is to win a WS. How can you say that when youre choosing to not field the most competitive team. 

I agree Hays and Urias have value and in 2022 they were starters on that O's team. But in 2024 I can't understand having a murderers row in AAA, while the big league offense is anemic.

Even if its a SSS, we all knew the tendencies of these guys are incredibly streaky.

• Upvote 1

Just now, casadeozo said:

At the same time he's also said the number one goal is to win a WS. How can you say that when youre choosing to not field the most competitive team. 

I agree Hays and Urias have value and in 2022 they were starters on that O's team. But in 2024 I can't understand having a murderers row in AAA, while the big league offense is anemic.

Even if its a SSS, we all knew the tendencies of these guys are incredibly streaky.

Well, in defense of Elias, we don’t know if teams valued these guys in the offseason and wanted to trade for them.

It’s hard for me to believe there weren’t trades out there but maybe they sucked.

You don’t DFA them. You don’t trade him for a 24 y/o A ball player or anything like that.

You have to play them and hope the value comes. 

1 minute ago, Orioles0615 said:

Yes but if Hays got hurt tomorrow is Elias bringing up Kjerstad or Mayo? 

No he's bringing up Peyton Burdick or claiming someone off waivers.

Right this is the issue. 

Why sign Tony Kemp when you have Norby stuck in AAA? How else is he going to get an opportunity?

He seems to make decisions with the express intent to NOT promote from within whenever possible.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, in defense of Elias, we don’t know if teams valued these guys in the offseason and wanted to trade for them.

It’s hard for me to believe there weren’t trades out there but maybe they sucked.

You don’t DFA them. You don’t trade him for a 24 y/o A ball player or anything like that.

Ok so let's say Hays starts to hit in the next few weeks and has even a semblance of his first half from last year. That means he's an everyday starter for the rest of the year right?

Sadly I think Santander's free agency is the only hope we have of a spot opening up as the competitive version of Elias is not one to trade away a veteran. At least not that we've seen.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No rebuilding club is going to trade for Hays and build around him.  For better or worse, the last couple of years is probably peak Hays.  If Hays recovers to a .700ish OPS OF does he have value?  Yes, but not much.  He's batting 6th or 7th on a good team, like he does on the O's and is no longer cheap.  Maybe he brings back a decend but not great BP prospect. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No rebuilding club is going to trade for Hays and build around him.  For better or worse, the last couple of years is probably peak Hays.  If Hays recovers to a .700ish OPS OF does he have value?  Yes, but not much.  He's batting 6th or 7th on a good team, like he does on the O's and is no longer cheap.  Maybe he brings back a decend but not great BP prospect. 

decent BP prospect sounds pretty good right now. That trade made sense this off season as well.

11 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Promoting players hurts the minor league ratings. If Mayo, Heston, and Holliday all lose prospect status their minor league system probably falls out of the top 10. Its a dumb conspiracy but it feels true at times.

Who cares what the farm system rating is next year or two years from now.  The farm system was built for the Orioles to be top contending team right now at this moment.  Not two years from now.

The top prospects are ready.  What else left do they have to do or prove.  The time is now. ME needs to move on from some of these guys (Hays, Urias, etc.).