Colton Cowser 2024

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks for providing the numbers and I think it shows why people are frustrated with him. I don't know whether this is just small sample size situation or genuinely a problem for him dealing with pressure.

Some guys just handle pressure situations better than others. I agree with you though, right now, he's the last guy I want up in these situations too.  

I don’t expect it’s a forever problem. He’s a young, inexperienced player and is probably pressing and overthinking in those situations.   He will figure it out, but it better not take too long.  

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t expect it’s a forever problem. He’s a young, inexperienced player and is probably pressing and overthinking in those situations.   He will figure it out, but it better not take too long. 

I hope it doesn't because no one really knows what Hays will bring at this point.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What if Cowser is a good Centerfielder?

Makes life easier going forward.

I was in the category of no way hes a CFer and I’m not sure I’m budging from that yet but his defense looks a lot better, that’s for sure.

Oh and he’s starting to hit the last few games, so maybe his career isn’t over.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

That'd be pretty sweet, but he's likely adequate at best and only going to get worse as he ages.

I am not worried about as he ages.    Elias will get/grow more CFers.   

The question for me is what if Cowser's CF defense combined with his offense is good.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not worried about as he ages.    Elias will get/grow more CFers.   

The question for me is what if Cowser's CF defense combined with his offense is good.

Well then that helps us a lot!

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What if Cowser is a good Centerfielder?

I’ve maintained that he is good enough in Center to play there. Is he a Gold Glove guy out there? No but not every team has one of them.

If they have a producing Ced or EBJ, CC is best suited in the COF but that isn’t the current situation. 

He may not win awards out there but he can play good defense in Center. Frankly, I trust him out there more than I trusted McKenna. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

That'd be pretty sweet, but he's likely adequate at best and only going to get worse as he ages.

I think people tend to undervalue the importance of defense in centerfield.  The Orioles clearly value it. 

Posted (edited)

There seems to be a feeling that Cowser will be merely adequate in center.    I just don't know about that.   

Have we seen cases where Cowser playing center did not get to a balls this season that Mullins would have? Have we seen Cowser not make plays in center this season that he should have made?

He seems pretty solid in center most of the time to me.   I am just not sure about the difficult  plays.

It's kind of like Westburg and Urias at 3B.   Urias is very good, even GG caliber at 3B but he does not hit well.   Westburg makes good plays at 3B.  Maybe not quite as good as Urias but Westburg's offense is so much better that he is playing over Urias.

Could the same thing happen to Cowser and Mullins?  I have questions but not answers at this point.

Edited by wildcard

He can stay in CF for me.  His defense is solid.  We have so many COF types and Mullins looks washed.  I'd trade a bit of defense for the offensive production and roster flexibility.  

• Upvote 1

He hasn’t been tested in CF yet, at least for what I have seen.

He's basically making plays that any ML player would make. 

As per everything else, let’s not go overboard on a SSS. We have seen mixed reports from scouts on if he can stay in CF. 

He has tools to make you think he can do it but those tools don’t mean he play the level of defense you want out of a CFer.

But it may mean that he can be your CFer for now, especially because Mullins is a zero with the bat and no matter what the defensive difference is, you can’t play a guy that’s an automatic out everyday.

I personally think Mullins will snap out of it but he has to actually do it.  At least the Os recognize it and are trying to get others in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1