Brandon Hyde 2024

27 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I was pretty surprised when I woke up, looked at the box score and saw that Akin threw only 0.2 innings last night. The O's can't have been counting on a long start from Kremer in his first appearance back so you'd think a couple innings from Akin would have been in the game plan. Looks like Akin threw a solo HR and Hyde freaked out and immediately changed course and burned Webb? Wouldn't it have been nice if Webb had been available for the 7th today and Akin was unavailable? 

I have said repeatedly this year that I don't understand the Akin usage, and I still don't. His value is as a bulk reliever and Hyde wants to use him like 2012 Brian Matusz.

Hyde plans out in advance 3-4 batter sequences to play matchups. Most of the time it works.

55 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

What the heck.  Horrible pitching change.  I said this to my friends watching with me.

Baker loaded the bases but the hits and walks were nothing.  He was dealing.  His ball was moving. He had bad breaks and had just struck out his last batter. 

Bringing in Akin is a kiss of death.  He is horrible.   Let me repeat.....HORRIBLE. 

Moves like this make me think our manager is not the answer to get us to the promised land.

He took out a guy who had spin and revs for an oompa loompa who can't pitch. 

Hyde just lost the Os this game.

I agree Akin is terrible but that doesn't mean you leave in Baker. Baker is terrible too and had already been extended more than Hyde wanted.

The funny thing about Hyde going to Akin to matchup against a lefty:

• Akin hasn’t been good against lefties since 2022
  • He’s been worse against them this year and last year he was really bad against them
  • Baker doesn’t have lefty/righty splits, but lefties actually hit slightly worse against him
  • Akin is downright terrible with runners on base

Id just like to see the data that went with his decision today. Because from what I can tell, it was either his gut or desperation or some combination of the 2. Just leave Baker in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This isn't 1980.  He's not throwing 130 pitches.  The problems is the O's are very short on high leverage relievers.

He was at 93 pitches. He should have at least started the inning. The O’s have who they have in their bullpen right now and Hyde has to manage as such. 

It’s possible Burnes told him he was done, wouldn’t be the first time. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

• He’s been worse against them this year and last year he was really bad against them
  • Baker doesn’t have lefty/righty splits, but lefties actually hit slightly worse against him

Id just like to see the data that went with his decision today. Because from what I can tell, it was either his gut or desperation or some combination of the 2. Just leave Baker in.

Akin could be bad against LHB but still be a better option if Baker is worse. Hyde obviously does not trust Baker, nor has Baker given Hyde any reason to trust him. The path to victory there is for each to do their job. The bottom line is both are bad. If Akin fails at his job (getting LHB) then he needs to be replaced. 

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Lefties are hitting .200 of him. 

They had 5 available relief arms today. It’s July 4th.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Lefties are hitting .200 of him. 

They had 5 available relief arms today. It’s July 4th.  

Now do with runners on. It’s the combination of the two: Akin awful with runners on, righties hitting worse even if lefties are hitting 200.

The place for Akin is in a new inning or if the O’s are getting blown out or are blowing out somebody else. He’s not a leverage guy.

If they had 5 relief arms, Akin is literally the last with runners on. He’s that bad. Tate hasn’t been good this year with runners on, too, but career he’s been great.

Webb is great against lefties. Solid with runners on.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Now do with runners on. It’s the combination of the two: Akin awful with runners on, righties hitting worse even if lefties are hitting 200.

The place for Akin is in a new inning or if the O’s are getting blown out or are blowing out somebody else. He’s not a leverage guy.

If they had 5 relief arms, Akin is literally the last with runners on. He’s that bad. Tate hasn’t been good this year with runners on, too, but career he’s been great.

Webb is great against lefties. Solid with runners on.

Coming into today his IS% was 24%. The league average is 32%. Tate 43%, Cano 37%.  Webb was 19%. Akin 21/5, Webb 21/4.  

It’s game 87. You aren’t getting multiple guys up for that. He had Baker and then Akin backing him up. Akin threw yesterday. He probably only wanted to use him to finish an inning. 

8 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I feel like it didn't matter that much; neither Akin nor Baker should be on the major league squad and they combined to give up 5 runs in the 7th.  Get a couple better bullpen arms by the trade deadline and then I'll re-evaluate Hyde's decisions.

This game illustrated why the Orioles need to trade for a couple high leverage relievers. With the way bullpens are used now you have to use the backend of your bullpen in crucial situations. You can’t always go to your better relievers unless you want their arms to fall off. 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This game illustrated why the Orioles need to trade for a couple high leverage relievers. With the way bullpens are used now you have to use the backend of your bullpen in crucial situations. You can’t always go to your better relievers unless you want their arms to fall off. 

I'm not even sure who the O's high leverage relievers are.  Last year it was obvious.  Our low usage closer, Kimbrel?  Webb?  Cano, who's stuff doesn't seem the same as last year.