Brandon Hyde 2024

Good call for Hyde to pick his spot and get tossed there. Middle game of a three game series. It was a one run game at the time. He had to fire up his team a bit and set the ump straight for the 2nd half of the series. 

It wasn’t an act of desperation, but really good strategy. Now we play a rubber game and the umps are on notice. 

I bet Cowser feels like Hyde has his back too. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good call for Hyde to pick his spot and get tossed there. Middle game of a three game series. It was a one run game at the time. He had to fire up his team a bit and set the ump straight for the 2nd half of the series. 

It wasn’t an act of desperation, but really good strategy. Now we play a rubber game and the umps are on notice. 

I bet Cowser feels like Hyde has his back too. 

Agree, except for the part about the umps being on notice. I don't think that's how they operate, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few really terrible calls against us tonight out of spite.

1 minute ago, Gunnar said:

Agree, except for the part about the umps being on notice. I don't think that's how they operate, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few really terrible calls against us tonight out of spite.

Someone has to give pushback to the umps when they miss calls.  We don't want our young guys arguing and getting ejected, or else they'll get labeled a hot head like Machado was.  So Hyde is going to have to be more vocal and argue.  If that means getting tossed, then that is what that means.  Being the cute and cuddly O's only wins so much.  

The umps need to start respecting our team.  Hyde is the one that needs to push that envelope.  Not the players.  Only Burnes and maybe Eloy can do that as players.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Someone has to give pushback to the umps when they miss calls.  We don't want our young guys arguing and getting ejected, or else they'll get labeled a hot head like Machado was.  So Hyde is going to have to be more vocal and argue.  If that means getting tossed, then that is what that means.  Being the cute and cuddly O's only wins so much.  

The umps need to start respecting our team.  Hyde is the one that needs to push that envelope.  Not the players.  Only Burnes and maybe Eloy can do that as players.  

The league office is the only entity that can do that. It is quite possible that antagonizing the umpires will have the opposite effect. Do you have any data on correlations between manager ejections and favoritism? Preferably controlling for star players and media market effects? 

12 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

You don’t burn through your relievers there.  He had used Suarez, Smith and by then Soto.  Webb was not available so that is 4 guys who were already not available.  

I agree you shouldn't burn through your relievers.

That's why I wouldn't have taken out Burch Smith, who went just 0.2 innings on 10 pitches and appeared to have good command, just to play matchups there.

I would play matchups when I can but I would try to get at least a full inning out of each reliever in a game where your starter is gone after 5, one of your relievers had to comeout of the pen and start, and the score is close enough that extra innings is a strong possibility.   I'm not saying Smith MUST go an inning, but when he has thrown just 10 pitches and looked like he's doing fine, I think making a change there  just for matchup reasons is managerial overkill.

Hyde has consistently done this all year and it is one of my biggest concerns about his management -- he makes too many pitching changes, takes effective guys out when they have low pitch counts and could go a bit further.   This means he uses more relievers per game.   And it's worth noting that a guy that many people thought he was using too much and who was leading the team in relief appearances, has just had to go on the IL

Edited by SteveA

17 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Arrrgghhh I’ve seen enough. More overmanaging BS costs us a run and the lead. 

Can't argue with you....unfortunately the exact game we are not built for is being tied in late innings....our bullpen was simply not fortified.

• Upvote 1

Hyde is not the best in-game strategist. But I can’t fault him for the shape and construction of this bullpen. That’s on Elias. Most often Hyde has to pick from the best of a series of bad options and pray, hold his breath, and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah really, really poor to pull Suarez there.  If he'd been on the ropes or even a dangerous lefty was coming up I'd sort of get it.  But Suarez was rolling.

Pulling him for Rortvedt as if Rortvedt is Juan Soto - while Suarez was pitching his career best game and cruising - was incredibly stupid. 

Hyde gets away with terrible managing because he has so much talent that bails him out. Anyone that points to the team's record and can't see how bad he is and refuses to accept this team would have an even better record with an average manager has low baseball IQ. 

Edited by Brooks The Great

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah really, really poor to pull Suarez there.  If he'd been on the ropes or even a dangerous lefty was coming up I'd sort of get it.  But Suarez was rolling.

Yeah but it took Suarez five while pitches to get the first two outs. He must’ve been done….

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Hyde is not the best in-game strategist. But I can’t fault him for the shape and construction of this bullpen. That’s on Elias. Most often Hyde has to pick from the best of a series of bad options and pray, hold his breath, and hope for the best.

That’s the thing. He didn’t have to use the crappy bullpen at all in that situation.