Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

People are entitled to their opinion but I don’t get why anyone thinks Hyde’s job is on the line. There would have to be something brewing behind the scenes. 

The players seem to really like Hyde. The team is winning. 

The overrating over what a manager does and his importance is absurd. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The players seem to really like Hyde. The team is winning. 

The overrating over what a manager does and his importance is absurd. 

Yeah. As long as he has the respect of the clubhouse he isn’t going anywhere.

There have been movesI have questioned but it’s not like some Grady Little situation where you wonder whether he can be brought back. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah. As long as he has the respect of the clubhouse he isn’t going anywhere.

There have been movesI have questioned but it’s not like some Grady Little situation where you wonder whether he can be brought back. 

There are zero managers out there who wouldn’t get questioned at times. People just want something new but those same people will have the same complaints with the new guy.

• Thanks 1

From todays Athletic:

A curious decision by O’s to pitch to Bobby Witt Jr.

The Orioles’ offense has been a mess for a while now, and their bats going AWOL in Game 1 should not be overlooked. No team can win with zero runs. So that is the reason they lost.

But it’s also hard to ignore Baltimore’s surprising decision to pitch to Bobby Witt Jr. in the sixth inning. With a runner at third and two outs in a scoreless game, it made a lot of sense for Burnes to intentionally walk Witt Jr., who led MLB with a .332 average. Burnes threw him a first-pitch cutter in the zone, and he turned on it for an RBI single.

“Going at him. We did a good job the first two (times) against him,” Burnes said. “That cutter down and away, he took some pretty bad swings on it. He made contact on it. It was a pretty good pitch. He didn’t hit it very hard, it just found a hole.”

On deck was Vinnie Pasquantino, who hasn’t played a game in more than a month due to a fractured hand. His health remains a question mark. In a one-run game, there are always decisions you could revisit. But allowing Witt Jr. to keep the bat in his hands was ultimately the difference in this low-scoring battle.

Burnes was excellent over his eight-plus innings of work. That’s why manager Brandon Hyde said he let Burnes decide who he wanted to face. The 29-year-old right-hander walked off the mound in the ninth to a well-deserved standing ovation. In another world, this takeaway would be about him being nearly untouchable. But just because he was good, doesn’t mean he should have faced Witt Jr. in that spot. And because he did, he’s one O’s loss away from being a free agent and one loss away from yet another Baltimore postseason flameout. – Sam Blum

They didn't lose because they pitched to Witt. They lost because they scored 0 runs.

If we're going to put anything on Burnes, it's walking the 9 hitter to lead off an inning when said 9 hitter likes to steal bases and you suck at holding runners on.

The Royals played good situational baseball that inning. Walk, steal 2B, groundball gets runner to 3B, single scores the run.

We strike out in those situations.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

They didn't lose because they pitched to Witt. They lost because they scored 0 runs.

If we're going to put anything on Burnes, it's walking the 9 hitter to lead off an inning when said 9 hitter likes to steal bases and you suck at holding runners on.

The Royals played good situational baseball that inning. Walk, steal 2B, groundball gets runner to 3B, single scores the run.

We strike out in those situations.

...or simply choose not to even attempt to play situational baseball.  As I posted in another thread, 0-0 game both teams aces are dealing.  Ced leads off the inning with a double.  Your #9 hitter (McCann) is coming to the plate with your two best hitters (Gunnar and Westburg) to follow. Instead of bunting Ced to 3rd and almost assuring yourself a 1-0 lead which firmly puts the pressure on KC, Hyde chooses to let McCann swing away.  He feebly strikes out, Gunnar grounds out (there was your run), and Westburg flies out.  0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors. 1 left on....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Seems weird to me to blame anything about game 1 on Hyde at all. I don't think I thought about him a single time during the game. I just thought why the hell can't we score a single run. 

IMO he made two decisions that were clearly wrong, pitching to Witt and not PR Holliday, to go along with a couple others I didn’t agree with but are certainly debatable.

There is no doubt that the game was lost because the bats couldn’t push a run across, but everyone has a job to do, and like the batters, Hyde didn’t do his.

1 minute ago, MacAdoo said:

...or simply choose not to even attempt to play situational baseball.  As I posted in another thread, 0-0 game both teams aces are dealing.  Ced leads off the inning with a double.  Your #9 hitter (McCann) is coming to the plate with your two best hitters (Gunnar and Westburg) to follow. Instead of bunting Ced to 3rd and almost assuring yourself a 1-0 lead which firmly puts the pressure on KC, Hyde chooses to let McCann swing away.  He feebly strikes out, Gunnar grounds out (there was your run), and Westburg flies out.  0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors. 1 left on....

And McCann is our worst RHB facing a dominant lefty with reverse splits. You have to think a K is a high likelihood. 

And then to send him up there with Ramon on 3rd, you have to expect the same outcome.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And McCann is our worst RHB facing a dominant lefty with reverse splits. You have to think a K is a high likelihood. 

And then to send him up there with Ramon on 3rd, you have to expect the same outcome.

Yeah it was idiotic starting him in the first place against Ragans and was even worse not having him bunt in the 3rd or PH’ing for him in the 5th. He had 3 sac bunts last year, tied for 3rd on the team. You’re telling me it was important enough to have him sac bunt in those regular season situations, but not yesterday? That’s wild.

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah it was idiotic starting him in the first place against Ragans and was even worse not having him bunt in the 3rd or PH’ing for him in the 5th. He had 3 sac bunts last year, tied for 3rd on the team. You’re telling me it was important enough to have him sac bunt in those regular season situations, but not yesterday? That’s wild.

Who knows how Burnes pitches in the counterfactual with Adley catching. I'm OK with starting McCann but you have to pinch hit for him if we're down and bunt with RISP, imo. 

A bunt or a ground ball to the right side or a slow grounder any where or fly ball. (see how KC did it) could have worked in the 3rd. PHing for McCann in the 5th would have caused us to give up DH I believe since Adley was DH. If that is true, not a good startegy for the 5th inning. Tis why using one of your two catchers as a DH can be a problem at times. McCann just didn't come close to being a productive hitter either time. And he wasn't alone throughout the game - just more obvious. 

23 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They started him because Burnes doesn’t want to throw to Adley. Adley is literally one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball. That’s a fact. Burnes and I’m sure other Oriole pitchers want nothing to do with Adley behind the plate. 

12 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

They started him because Burnes doesn’t want to throw to Adley. Adley is literally one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball. That’s a fact. Burnes and I’m sure other Oriole pitchers want nothing to do with Adley behind the plate. 

Adley is a better blocker, has more CS above average, is a better framer, and has a quicker pop time. Not that he’s great, but McCann is awful. Out of 43 players with more than 200 PA’s as a catcher, Fangraphs only has Wong and Campusano as providing less defensive value than McCann.