Brandon Hyde 2024

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Hyde said he uses slater tonight because he has hit lefties vs well this year…he has a 505 OPS vs them in 2024

Also if the game is close to a lost cause at that point far better to "develop" Jackson than throw Mayo who has yet to record a hit into the fire.  

A few things

-How much of this is SigBot more than Hyde

-Birch Smith might be a guy; gotta try to figure that out too, let him finish that inning

-Gotta let Holiday hit there

-Perhaps Cowser is hurt, I saw the shakes, Slater probably fits in better in that spot than Mayo

-Folks complaining about Urias being allowed to hit, who do you pinch hit with?

8 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

One question for Hyde in PC on platoon split.  "went with Austin who worked a big walk,"  "took a shot with Mayo and the bases loaded and it didn't work out."     No one question why PH for the potentially better hitters in JH and CC.     Focus was Grayson being evaluated and Suarez coming up big.   Seems like Hyde went in thinking the game was a loss, team didn't hit much.  

I don't know why people think there will be big confrontations about strategy at these press conferences. Bring up all the stats you want about Urias against LHP or against high velo, Hyde is just going to say "Ramon's had a lot of big hits for us" and move on. Even in the supposedly intense NY market fans complain about Boone brushing every question off with cliches night after night.

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Mayo isn’t even proven. Doesn’t have a hit, yet. It’s such a weird sequencing. PHing Mayo for Urias would at least make sense because Urias can’t hit lefties. But Cowser?

I’ll answer that question for him.  Ok I pinch hit for Holliday and that worked for a walk now you want me to pinch hit Mayo for Urias and who do you want to play the infield McCann, Mullins, maybe Eloy.    You can’t take both Holliday and Urias out back to back or you don’t have enough infielders.  We have 4 guys that can play 2nd SS and 3rd you can’t take two out and play defense.  

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

I don't know why people think there will be big confrontations about strategy at these press conferences. Bring up all the stats you want about Urias against LHP or against high velo, Hyde is just going to say "Ramon's had a lot of big hits for us" and move on. Even in the supposedly intense NY market fans complain about Boone brushing every question off with cliches night after night.

Soto was pressed much harder through a translator no less.  Baltimore press has some fear of manager reprisal.   Don't think Hyde has earned a free pass yet. 

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

I’ll answer that question for him.  Ok I pinch hit for Holliday and that worked for a walk now you want me to pinch hit Mayo for Urias and who do you want to play the infield McCann, Mullins, maybe Eloy.    You can’t take both Holliday and Urias out back to back or you don’t have enough infielders.  We have 4 guys that can play 2nd SS and 3rd you can’t take two out and play defense.  

Yes, pinch hitting for Holliday created the domino effect where Urias had to hit for himself.

Ok, I want to justify my “objectively stupid” accusation:

I checked Suarez’ game logs. When Suarez is terrible, he’s terrible right away. All his recent outings were bad, but so what? Tonight, everyone was expecting varying degrees of awful, but he wasn’t terrible at all. He was great; pitching efficiently, with only 73 pitches through five innings, 6 Ks and only 2H and 2BB.
July 11 5 innings 6 hits, 4 runs, 90 pitches 2BB 4Ks.

July 5 6 innings 86 pitches, and 1 BB 6 Ks

On the other hand, July 23, in 2 innings he gave up 6 runs on 60 pitches in two innings. He was terrible, but he was terrible right away.

This isn’t cherry-picking. I could go on with other examples to illustrate that when Suarez is bad, it’s immediately obvious. Today was a good day, and when he is having a good day, he’s good for ~20 pitches more than he threw tonight.

It is irrelevant that Suarez was forced into starting tonight, or that he hasn’t started on a while, because neither of those things bothered him. He was great. There was no reason to pull him after 5 innings and 73  pitches.

Leave him in for the 6th, bring in  Smith for the 7Th, avoid Soto entirely, and maybe we can win the game.

But no. Must play precious matchups. 

16 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Cionel is a late inning lefty not a 6th inning left hander.  So you bring in Perez then in 8th you have Soto to face those same guys then what.  If it was 8th inning then yes CIOnel first choice not 6th inning because it is lower leverage situations.  

That might make sense, but Webb was a late inning reliever but Hyde has been using him early game lately. There doesn’t appear to be a rhyme reason.

7 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Yes, pinch hitting for Holliday created the domino effect where Urias had to hit for himself.

That was the one move I really didn’t like because it made Urias have to hit and he not good vs lefties.  I would have let Holliday hit then pinch hit Slater for Urias.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Pinch hitting for Holliday did not exactly "work".  You're looking for the hit there which Holliday has been delivering lately.  I doubt Hyde was thinking "well maybe Slater can at least get a walk there".  And even if he did, how was he thinking it through when 2 batters later when his next hitters are Urias and then Mayo -- a guy who has yet to get a big league hit taking out hot handed Cowser?  Not sure he thought it through.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Get what you are saying but playoffs are far from a lock given the injury situation we have and lack of good play the last 1.5 months. Yeah I know we are still like -5000 to make it but if this GRod injury is anything serious we may be in real trouble. 

Look at our rotation last year at this time.  GRod is a big deal, but Povich and McDermott can miss bats and a good SSS run is all that is needed.

Share your concerns too!