Brandon Hyde 2024

8 minutes ago, gallden said:

Do you think that kimbrel should have cut that off?

I do. He seemed pretty lackadaisical (likely pissed off) at that moment. Just another in a litany or O's plays lately that aren't necessarily listed as errors, but are also far from "heads up" baseball that winning teams demonstrate. I guess we got spoiled to expect that standard now.

3 minutes ago, now said:

I do. He seemed pretty lackadaisical (likely pissed off) at that moment. Just another in a litany or O's plays lately that aren't necessarily listed as errors, but are also far from "heads up" baseball that winning teams demonstrate. I guess we got spoiled to expect that standard now.

I didn’t see the play but I’d guess there’s no defense in baseball where the pitcher is even supposed to be in position to cut off a throw.

13 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

It seems to me that management prefers shorter outing so that pitchers are available on back to back days. So basically everyone that pitched yesterday could in theory pitch today. I don’t know if that’s a great reason or not, but to me that’s the reason. We will have Cano today if we need him, for example. 

Cano didn't pitch on Friday, so he should have been available today even if he had pitched the 8th.  He only threw 8 pitches in the 7th.  

Kimbrel having such a hard time in this thread that apparently he should have cut off the terrible throw from Mullins…from 10 feet behind home plate, where he was supposed to be.

Your concerns about cutting off the throw should be registered with Mr. O’Hearn.

32 minutes ago, gallden said:

Do you think that kimbrel should have cut that off?

Sports Guy corrected me if you keep reading the thread. That was actually OHearn, but yes, he absolutely should have cut off that ball. It was a two bouncer soft throw with no chance of getting the runner. Then again if he cuts it off they steal the base anyway but he should have cut it off

Kimbrel needs to be DFAed today. That is all.

I'd love for Hyde to be DFAed too, but i know that's not realistic. But there needs to be some serious introspection by this FO and ownership group in the off-season. The problems with this team go much deeper than Kimbrel.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Kimbrel needs to be DFAed today. That is all.

I'd love for Hyde to be DFAed too, but i know that's not realistic. But there needs to be some serious introspection by this FO and ownership group in the off-season. The problems with this team go much deeper than Kimbrel.

Yes. When players come up, they hit, the opposition gets a Book on them, the hitter has to readjust, and so on.

The question is whether management is willing to do the same, and adjust their own problems with strategy/methodology. It is impossible to ignore the problems, but it is entirely possible to blame others rather than accepting individual responsibility, which is common with very high achievers.

And there’s been no in-season adjustment. The same issues happen almost every game, which implies nothing will change.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, now said:

That’s never his job. He should be behind home plate backing that play up. 

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

It seems to me that management prefers shorter outing so that pitchers are available on back to back days. So basically everyone that pitched yesterday could in theory pitch today. I don’t know if that’s a great reason or not, but to me that’s the reason. We will have Cano today if we need him, for example. 

Doesn’t explain the quick hook on Akin. He went 2 IP when Rogers stunk up the joint against the Mets. Seems like yesterday was a prime scenario where you’d want that.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Doesn’t explain the quick hook on Akin. He went 2 IP when Rogers stunk up the joint against the Mets. Seems like yesterday was a prime scenario where you’d want that.

I don’t disagree but much of the complaining on this thread has been about Cano (and Soto to a lesser degree)

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t disagree but much of the complaining on this thread has been about Cano (and Soto to a lesser degree)

But the weird thing about Cano is his usage lately. He pitched yesterday (8/31), 8/27, 8/24, 8/20, 8/18. A lot of off days for him. Number of pitches per outing: 8, 16, 19, 20, 18.

He last pitched back to back games/days on 8/17 and 8/18.

He hasn’t pitched 1 2/3 IP in months. But he has pitched 1 1/3 as recent as the 24th when he threw only 19 pitches.

Just very odd usage all around. The Soto and Smith usage makes sense since Soto isn’t great against righties and Smith is abysmal against lefties. But Akin and Cano usage was really poor/odd.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

But the weird thing about Cano is his usage lately. He pitched yesterday (8/31), 8/27, 8/24, 8/20, 8/18. A lot of off days for him. Number of pitches per outing: 8, 16, 19, 20, 18.

He hasn’t pitched 1 2/3 IP in months. But he has pitched 1 1/3 as recent as the 24th when he threw only 19 pitches.

Just very odd usage all around. The Soto and Smith usage makes sense since Soto isn’t great against righties and Smith is abysmal against lefties. But Akin and Cano usage was really poor/odd.

I would guess it’s as simple as they are trying not to run him into the ground before the playoffs 

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think they were envisioning using Dominguez in the 9th (and possibly later), which would be two days in a row for him. And it had already been two days in a row for Perez.

So I think the goal was to keep Cano available for today. 

Not saying I necessarily agree with that, as there’s no telling whether you’ll even need a leverage reliever today — but I do think one of the hard things about in-season bullpen management is that you sometimes have to resist the urge to really throw everything you have at any particular game, with no regard for what it’ll leave you with tomorrow.

• Upvote 1