5-4 Start not horrible but should be better

Pat Kelly

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Right. A poor throw from an awkward position throwing sidearm and knowing he had to put everything on that throw to get the runner.   Almost made one of the greatest game ending plays in Oriole history.   Stuff happens.  Cano loads the bases with no outs and ALMOST escapes.

The base runner was also blocking his view. He rushed the throw to win the game. I bet he gets it next time

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The problem is you can’t just give on guys that are proven major league players.  Is your plan release Mullins, Hays, Urias, Mateo ad bring up Kjerstad, Norby, Hays, Holliday.  So what happens if they do struggle or get hurt then we have no one that can replace them because that will happen.  Our biggest strength for a full season should be depth and ability to replace guys long term not a week into the season.  The one question I do have is why we have Kemp on the team we don’t need another light hitting left hander.  It should be Norby or even McKenna who could play center in games like today with Mullins on bench vs lefty.  

You aren’t going to release Mullins and Hays, but they should play less. So should Santander. And Adley doesn’t need to DH every game he isn’t catching.

You can get rid of Urias for whatever they can get in return, especially if they value Mateo’s speed and he can play a solid 2B.

And of course Kemp can be gone.

That is two roster spots that should be open. There are several ways you could fill them with major league ready guys; Stowers, Kjerstad and Norby, or making the move on Holliday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

But what would you suggest they do with Mullins (560 OPS) and Hays (249 OPS)? They're not injured... are you going to option them to free up space for Stowers or Kjerstad? Or release them?

Or could Mullins & Hays possibly not be at 100% health and the team is  just not publicizing it? They both have a track record of relatively frequent injuries.

3 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Or could Mullins & Hays possibly not be at 100% health and the team is  just not publicizing it? They both have a track record of relatively frequent injuries.

With the depth the Orioles have Hays and Mullins shouldn't be playing if they are hurt. Mullins matters more with his defense in CF, but Hays can sit when he gets his nagging injuries with Cowser and Kjerstad available.

I know Hays was an all star last year, but the Orioles can't give him 500+ at bats if he isn't going to produce at the plate. The team has depth and it needs to be utilized.

3 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I find it a poor excuse that young guys shouldn’t come up because they will struggle. Like they could hit better than .150 or .077

Say that to 2023 Colton Cowser and Kyle Stowers.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins both significantly under .700 OPS in the 2nd half last season. Even worse so far this year.

But I guess, “we know our prospects aren’t going to hit in the majors, so their presence won’t make a difference”, is the detailed perspective that helps you rationalize terrible offensive performances against mediocre pitchers.

100% this is my opinion as well.

Moose asked me in the other thread to find people that are against bringing up the young birdlings in place of Mateo, Hays, Urias, and Kemp.  Well the proof is right in this thread. 

My point is these defenders of guys like Hays and Mateo act as if these guys have hit major league pitching at an above or even average level for the past year and they need to 'come around'.

Well?  No.  They have not.  They are just JAGS.  Even Mullins is at this point.  So why are they blocking the youngsters who actually are hitting now and who hit all spring training? 

We all know why. $$$$$ reasons.  This team just wasted 2-3 potential wins that at the end of the year?  Very well may cost them gettng into the playoffs. 

Hope that extra year of service time 5 years from now was worth a potential WS championship now.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

So one has to fail in order to give the other a chance to succeed? 
Why not give both an opportunity to succeed from the beginning?

You are preaching to guys that believe the  O's brass is 100% right 100% of the tme.

Dissenting opinions are not allowed.    I see this all the time when it comes to sports.

It's called drinking the purple kool aid.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

100% this is my opinion as well.

Moose asked me in the other thread to find people that are against bringing up the young birdlings in place of Mateo, Hays, Urias, and Kemp.  Well the proof is right in this thread. 

My point is these defenders of guys like Hays and Mateo act as if these guys have hit major league pitching at an above or even average level for the past year and they need to 'come around'.

Well?  No.  They have not.  They are just JAGS.  Even Mullins is at this point.  So why are they blocking the youngsters who actually are hitting now and who hit all spring training? 

We all know why. $$$$$ reasons.  This team just wasted 2-3 potential wins that at the end of the year?  Very well may cost them gettng into the playoffs. 

Hope that extra year of service time 5 years from now was worth a potential WS championship now.

Can either you or DirtyBird say what you'd do with Mullins and Hays?  I am assuming you're releasing Urias and Mateo?

I'm not arguing for the status quo, by the way.  I'm just wondering what the people who want to blow it up completely after a week and a half see as the moves to be made.

16 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You are preaching to guys that believe the  O's brass is 100% right 100% of the tme.

Dissenting opinions are not allowed.    I see this all the time when it comes to sports.

It's called drinking the purple kool aid.

I’m only just now jumping in here, but have to say hyperbole is always fun, but never correct.

no one here is 100% in bed with Mike, and God knows I scream as loud as anyone about Rougned Odor/Frazier/Kemp etc. why waste time with Brett Phillips? I sure don’t get it, or agree. The kids SHOULD be up. 
But they aren’t. 
And because of that, and Hyde’s managing, we’ve got lots of second guessing to enjoy.

But the cream rises. We may win 93 instead of 98, but absent purposeful sabotage, we’ll be ok.

now, if we win 89, and NY wins 90+, I will be very very unhappy, but that’s inSeptember, and lotta ground ‘tween now and then.

1 minute ago, Gofannon said:

Can either you or DirtyBird say what you'd do with Mullins and Hays?  I am assuming you're releasing Urias and Mateo?

I'm not arguing for the status quo, by the way.  I'm just wondering what the people who want to blow it up completely after a week and a half see as the moves to be made.

See... now that's the key for me. Urias and Mateo and Kemp... I wouldn't think twice about releasing them or trading them for any lottery ticket. But the decision with Hays and Mullins is much more complicated.

Early still obviously,  but currently too many holes in the lineup,  too many defensive miscues and not enough depth and quality in the bullpen.  Management did not do everything they could and should have done to have us ready to hit the ground running.   That said it's a marathon,  not a sprint and there is plenty of time to start playing better. 

34 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

I’m trading Urias for whatever we can get and DFA’ing Kemp. I like Mateo on the roster.

I’d probably promote two of Stowers, Norby, Holliday. Cut Mullins, Hays each back to about 100 starts. Cut Santander back to about 120 and cut Adley DH starts in half.