5-4 Start not horrible but should be better

Pat Kelly

If the Orioles lose the division by a few games or continue to not hit then this has been a gross miscalculation by Elias.  No reason to hoard a bunch of bats in NFLK and leave the major league team short.  Os are not going to win a bunch of 2-1 games with this BP and a spectacular at times but unsteady defense.  

Os pitching and defense is better than the Yankees but the Yanks are hitting their way to victory.  Os showed that elite hitting in Spring Training.   It’s there but in the minors.  Elias this is your strategy so hope you know what you are doing. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Elias this is your strategy so hope you know what you are doing. 

With how little Elias has shown me to convince me that he knows what he's doing, I'm definitely going to take this 9 game sample of of 5-4 baseball to start the season as evidence that he doesn't!!

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You can’t assume because the Tides are crushing AAA pitching that the same thing occurs in Baltimore. That’s not how reality works. 

They aren’t hitting right now and I’m not defending not having Holliday up but it’s 9 games.  

Yeah it's pretty funny that people think the cure to the offensive woes is bringing up the kids from Norfolk. I mean, Ryan McKenna has a 1.000 OPS down there and he can't hit ML pitching, but the guys with absolutely no experience against ML pitching should all be brought up at once and they'll just mash.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah it's pretty funny that people think the cure to the offensive woes is bringing up the kids from Norfolk. I mean, Ryan McKenna has a 1.000 OPS down there and he can't hit ML pitching, but the guys with absolutely no experience against ML pitching should all be brought up at once and they'll just mash.

As opposed to starting guys every game who haven’t hit major league pitching since last June.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You can’t assume because the Tides are crushing AAA pitching that the same thing occurs in Baltimore. That’s not how reality works. 

They aren’t hitting right now and I’m not defending not having Holliday up but it’s 9 games.  

I’m much more concerned about the bullpen - the hitting will come or be replaced by AAA guys.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyBird said:

As opposed to starting guys every game who haven’t hit major league pitching since last June.

Nothing like a healthy dose of hyperbole from you. You are a real contributor to the board and I'm glad you are here for your incredibly detailed perspective.

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

The Orioles started last year 4-5. When we were looking ahead, this seemed like a very soft part of the schedule but the Royals and Pirates are probably better than advertised. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Pointless on some levels because it’s not like you have any control over it but would much rather have some of these games later on. 

Worst time of the year to be playing “mediocre teams.” They have not dealt with the attrition of the season and our their most optimistic.  

1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

I’m much more concerned about the bullpen - the hitting will come or be replaced by AAA guys.

Over the long haul may be biggest issue. Going into today pen had ERA of 1.95. 

I do agree the depth will be used if needed at some point.  

Two extremely fruastrating loses in a row. No hitting, shakey defense, and Cano and Closer are two incongruent words. Feel for Kremer who pitched a heck of a game, but he gave them one run. Hats off to Pittsburg because they have a good young team too. Let's see how we do in Beantown?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It’s about having your best 26.  The AAA top 5 are all prospects with upside who are off to not just good offensive starts but eye-popping starts - Hyde acknowledged he’s never seen it before.  

So yes 100% no guarantee that AAA hitters mash ML pitching but it’s not like there are a bevy of elite hitters blocking them.  Not expecting Hays, Mateo, Urias, Kemp to become elite hitters.

More importantly, not seeing the Os offense as currently constructed as elite so unclear on what the plan is.   If it’s shutdown BP, great defense and starting pitching, win a bunch of low scoring games not expecting things to work like last year. 

Edited by Pat Kelly