5-4 Start not horrible but should be better

Pat Kelly

1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

I’m much more concerned about the bullpen - the hitting will come or be replaced by AAA guys.

The bullpen is the last thing to worry about. At this time last year, Logan Gillaspie was being used as a high-leverage guy.

Since the 9-run inning last Saturday, opposing starting pitchers have pitched to a 1.97 ERA. A 3-4 record in those seven games is about as good as you can hope for.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar almost made a fantastic DP (I believe the throw would have nipped the runner).   A win would have put us at 6-3 and a 108 game pace for a team whose offense has been dormant.   Over reactors gonna overreact.   

Ya... I agree. Gunnar made a fantastic play and a poor throw. It happens

Just now, Jagwar said:

Ya... I agree. Gunnar made a fantastic play and a poor throw. It happens

Right. A poor throw from an awkward position throwing sidearm and knowing he had to put everything on that throw to get the runner.   Almost made one of the greatest game ending plays in Oriole history.   Stuff happens.  Cano loads the bases with no outs and ALMOST escapes.

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

How come with a new owner,  that there is no change? The owner could push Elias to bring up our prospects and find or trade for bullpen help? I don't know how doing nothing helps up??

The owner isn't going to tell Elias how to manage the roster, nor is he going to tell Hyde how to manage games.

Kemp should be an easy decision, perhaps Urias could be too. That gets the O's an infielder or two. But what would you suggest they do with Mullins (560 OPS) and Hays (249 OPS)? They're not injured... are you going to option them to free up space for Stowers or Kjerstad? Or release them?

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

Nothing like a healthy dose of hyperbole from you. You are a real contributor to the board and I'm glad you are here for your incredibly detailed perspective.

Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins both significantly under .700 OPS in the 2nd half last season. Even worse so far this year.

But I guess, “we know our prospects aren’t going to hit in the majors, so their presence won’t make a difference”, is the detailed perspective that helps you rationalize terrible offensive performances against mediocre pitchers.

Edited by DirtyBird
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

How come with a new owner,  that there is no change? The owner could push Elias to bring up our prospects and find or trade for bullpen help? I don't know how doing nothing helps up??

The new owner said that Elias is the best GM in the AL, if not all of baseball, and that he's not going to tell him how to do his job.

Pretty much any prospects that come up will require either a trade or release of a current player. Most of the current players have enough of a track record that judging them after the first 9 games isn't going to happen.

38 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

It’s about having your best 26.  The AAA top 5 are all prospects with upside who are off to not just good offensive starts but eye-popping starts - Hyde acknowledged he’s never seen it before.  

So yes 100% no guarantee that AAA hitters mash ML pitching but it’s not like there are a bevy of elite hitters blocking them.  Not expecting Hays, Mateo, Urias, Kemp to become elite hitters.

More importantly, not seeing the Os offense as currently constructed as elite so unclear on what the plan is.   If it’s shutdown BP, great defense and starting pitching, win a bunch of low scoring games not expecting things to work like last year. 

This team isn’t built not to score runs. 

26 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins both significantly under .700 OPS in the 2nd half last season. Even worse so far this year.

But I guess, “we know our prospects aren’t going to hit in the majors, so their presence won’t make a difference”, is the detailed perspective that helps you rationalize terrible offensive performances against mediocre pitchers.

Defense matters and so does track record. Is Cowser a full time CF? Do we have other guys that can play LF at Camden? 

You aren’t just going to move on from those guys like it’s nothing.  

37 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

More like they believe Hays and Mullins are better than what they did in the 2nd half and how they look right now.   They have long track records that say they are.  Time will tell.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

More like they believe Hays and Mullins are better than what they did in the 2nd half and how they look right now.   They have long track records that say they are.  Time will tell.  

Oh, we got Buck here talking “track record”.

Please. How long are their track records?

And they only had a chance to establish any track record because the organization was in the dumpster as they came up.