Moving the wall back in left field has been a terrible decision for the Orioles.

Spakman

14 hours ago, Since1984 said:

I think the wall will get moved in some places as part of an overall change to the stadium. If I can find the quote from ME, regarding this potential, will quote the his.

One year free agent signings and rookie pitchers in general were the reason it needed to go back.

It didn't "need" to go back, Elias just preferred it. 

17 hours ago, Spakman said:

I’m not gonna go into the numbers I’m gonna go into who they can’t put into left field right now. You basically need a centerfielder for a left and center. We have power hitters in the minors, not athletic outfielders. Cowser can play left. But where are all those other power hitters gonna play? Our best players are outfielders in a minors I think he’s regretting moving that wall back we don’t even have any good left handed pitchers to take advantage of it. I really feel moving that wall back was a dumb decision. What right handed power hitter in free agency would ever come here. But yeah, all we draft is left-handers.

How many more wins do you think we'd have had in 2023 if the wall wasn't moved back? Would we have broken the 1969 record of 109? 

I was in Pittsburgh this weekend and there left field wall is around the same dimensions. The only real difference is ours is higher. Westburg hit 2 balls yesterday that would have gone out 50% of stadiums.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:03 PM, Spakman said:

I’m not gonna go into the numbers I’m gonna go into who they can’t put into left field right now. You basically need a centerfielder for a left and center. We have power hitters in the minors, not athletic outfielders. Cowser can play left. But where are all those other power hitters gonna play? Our best players are outfielders in a minors I think he’s regretting moving that wall back we don’t even have any good left handed pitchers to take advantage of it. I really feel moving that wall back was a dumb decision. What right handed power hitter in free agency would ever come here. But yeah, all we draft is left-handers.

Disagree. 

6 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

How many more wins do you think we'd have had in 2023 if the wall wasn't moved back? Would we have broken the 1969 record of 109? 

Who cares?

The goal isn't to win more regular season games.

Ask the 2001 Seattle Mariners.

The depth of the wall and the composition of the pitching staff really doesn't make much sense to me. You pushed the wall all the way back (naturally raising it too) to what amounts to be normal strait away Centerfield depth. But you don't use decent starting Left Handed Pitchers to make that an advantage. And on the contrary you allow all these soft tossing Lefties to come into our home stadium and mitigate most of our best hitters because they are also lefties and the best right handers are hitting long outs instead of home runs.

The numbers have also shown over the duality of the season that it's cost the Orioles more home runs than the visiting teams.

But it boggles the mind that you did this to the wall and then use all right handed pitchers, which causes opposing managers to put in a lineup of alot of lefties to hit for the short porch in the opposite direction of that wall you had moved. Right field is a very short porch.

#end rant

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The depth of the wall and the composition of the pitching staff really doesn't make much sense to me. You pushed the wall all the way back (naturally raising it too) to what amounts to be normal strait away Centerfield depth. But you don't use decent starting Left Handed Pitchers to make that an advantage. And on the contrary you allow all these soft tossing Lefties to come into our home stadium and mitigate most of our best hitters because they are also lefties and the best right handers are hitting long outs instead of home runs.

The numbers have also shown over the duality of the season that it's cost the Orioles more home runs than the visiting teams.

But it boggles the mind that you did this to the wall and then use all right handed pitchers, which causes opposing managers to put in a lineup of alot of lefties to hit for the short porch in the opposite direction of that wall you had moved. Right field is a very short porch.

#end rant

There were also cheap HR's hit to LF off of RHP

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

#end rant

Perhaps in the playoffs you can set up a rotation but it’s not like teams can switch arms around to pitch a lefty at Camden. Maybe you can do it at the start of the year. 

I do agree having lefties in the rotation could be a positive. That said you shouldn’t force it. The addition of Irvin the wall may have played a role.  

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It was a brilliant decision and the team has won a lot and pitched much better since.

The roster getting more talented had nothing to do with it? Would the record have been worse last year without it?