Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

Its an interesting thought.

Elias has spent 15m on Burnes betting that Burnes will allow the O's to get deep into the playoffs.  Plus 13m on Kimbrel.  At the deadline he added 7m to that for the two month salaries of Eflin, Rogers, Dominguez, Soto, Slater and Jimenez.   Plus he is probably committing 26m of next year's budget to retain Eflin and Dominguez.   And there was the prospect capital of Ortiz, Hall, Norby, Stowers, Baumeister, Etzel, Horvath and  Johnson all used to try to go deep in the playoffs this season.  

That is a pretty steep commitment  betting on the outcome of the playoffs.   

So if Mateo were to be unavailable for the playoffs is it really that far  of a reach to say Elias would burn two options on Bradfield early to improve the O's chances to win in the playoffs?

Edited by wildcard

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has spent 15m on Burnes betting that Burnes will allow the O's to get deep into the playoffs.  Plus 13m on Kimbrel.  At the deadline he added 7m to that for the two month salaries of Eflin, Rogers, Dominguez, Soto, Slater and Jimenez.   Plus he is probably committing 26m of next year's budget to retain Eflin and Dominguez.   And there was the prospect capital of Ortiz, Hall, Norby, Stowers, Baumeister, Etzel, Horvath and  Johnson all used to try to go deep in the playoffs this season.  

So if Mateo were to be unavailable for the playoffs is it really that far  of a reach to say Elias would burn two options on Bradfield early to improve the O's chances to win in the playoffs?

I know Bradfield is very fast, but is there someone that could give you 90% of Bradfield speed and defense? Bradfield is likely to be close to 0 with the bat in the majors right now, just look at Mayo and Jackson's initial callups after a lot of success at AAA. 

On 8/25/2024 at 3:53 PM, emmett16 said:

4 for 5 today with a double & 2R.  EBJ is finishing strong. 

None of his 4 hits landed in the OF. One was an infield single and another was a bunt. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

None of his 4 hits landed in the OF. One was an infield single and another was a bunt. 

*landed.

He smoked a ball up the middle in the 7th and smoked a ball into the LF corner in the 9th. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

*landed.

He smoked a ball up the middle in the 7th and smoked a ball I to the LF corner in the 9th. 

I wouldn't have called either of those smoked. Maybe the one in the 9th

10 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I wouldn't have called either of those smoked. Maybe the one in the 9th

Looked pretty hard to me.  But that’s watching MiLB TV w/o any statcast data so maybe I’m looking through orange tinted glasses.   The single up middle hit the mound, but still got out to CF pretty darn fast.  

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I wouldn't frame those $ investments as a major bet on the outcome of THIS particular playoff. They are attempts to increase our playoff odds sure, but the overall approach hasn't been all-in on this year. And it won't be in the Bradfield case either. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I know Bradfield is very fast, but is there someone that could give you 90% of Bradfield speed and defense? Bradfield is likely to be close to 0 with the bat in the majors right now, just look at Mayo and Jackson's initial callups after a lot of success at AAA. 

It would be virtually impossible for him to be worse (3-41 .073) 1 RBI in 41 at bats combined.  That's even awful for a pitcher when they hit-pitcher's generally hit around .130.

Not advocating a call up just pointing out the obvious.

Edited by SemperFi

Man has this game changed in the 40 + years. Can you imagine people wanting Omar Moreno , Willie Wilson, Garry Pettis, Collins of the Reds etc, to hit the ball in the air for more power. Back then they wanted fast guys to use their speed to get on base and turn those singles into stolen bases. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Man has this game changed in the 40 + years. Can you imagine people wanting Omar Moreno , Willie Wilson, Garry Pettis, Collins of the Reds etc, to hit the ball in the air for more power. Back then they wanted fast guys to use their speed to get on base and turn those singles into stolen bases. 

If Bradfield ended up with a batting average/OBP of Willie Wilson (.285/.326) I'd be alright with that (note that I said alright, not thrilled). Pettis hit .236/.332 so there was good separation between the batting average and the OBP.  

Pettis career war was 22.1, Wilson was 46.2.  If Bradfield ends up somewhere in the middle between those two, I'd be good with that, too.

10 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

It is a game of adjustments. I wonder when the SIGBOT or other analytical decision makers will begin to value the speed/contact hitter prototype again. Now that the bases are bigger and pitchers are reined in by the new rules, do we see more guys like Mickey Rivers and Mookie Wilson? 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Bradfield ended up with a batting average/OBP of Willie Wilson (.285/.326) I'd be alright with that (note that I said alright, not thrilled). Pettis hit .236/.332 so there was good separation between the batting average and the OBP.  

Pettis career war was 22.1, Wilson was 46.2.  If Bradfield ends up somewhere in the middle between those two, I'd be good with that, too.

That’s good of you.  I’d be utterly thrilled if Bradfield turned out to be a 15+ WAR player.