Holliday called up!

jcaponio

36 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

charlie-day.gif

In my naively optimistic little brain, I LIKE to imagine this is Mike Elias explaining his MILB player promotion system to Rubenstein, who calmly just says, “Relax dude, we’ll just pay him.”

This makes way more sense then anything else people are claiming! :D 

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Even if Westburg was injured, they still have Norby who would have been able to step right in and fill the same role at 2nd base batting right handed as Westburg and provide some more pop to the lineup.

So I think there's something else to it.

Norby sucks defensively at second 

46 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Development & reps.  He’s had 51 PAs….in comparison Gunnar has had 39.   He likely wouldn’t have started every game and would have only had like 25-30 by now.  He got time to work at 2B.  He avoided some of the more challenging lefties in MLB.  

Eh, the main reason he has those extra PAs is because Norfolk put up 102 runs in 10 games which couldn't really have been anticipated. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looks like the terrible names from the early 2000s are closing in on us. Can’t wait till the sports landscape is littered with guys named Kylan, Cannyn, Cadyn and one of those dudes is on a team that I gotta root for. 

Coby is a pretty weird one isn;t it?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I really don’t get this. Why not just start the year with him?

Maybe there is an injury?  Maybe that’s why Westburg didn’t play today?

I thought there was a chance he would wait and see how the other rookies are doing. However, calling up Holliday mid series is perhaps the weirdest part. You could be right to suspect something with Westburg. 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looks like the terrible names from the early 2000s are closing in on us. Can’t wait till the sports landscape is littered with guys named Kylan, Cannyn, Cadyn and one of those dudes is on a team that I gotta root for. 

I mean, I've seen mock drafts suggesting my football team may draft a guy named Kool-Aid McKinstry, so it could be weirder.  Or are you saying in a couple of years he'd be named Kool-Ayd?

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yes, those 12 extra PAs certainly developed him into the major league ready players he wasn't out of spring training. If you are going to be unreasonable, I'm going to keep calling you out. You are way too smart for any of these takes. 

Elias can make mistakes. I love him, think he's fantastic overall, but when crap don't make sense, I'm going to say it doesn't make sense and not just try and agree with everything he does. 

I’m not saying it’s what I’d do, I’m trying to explain his thought process.  Seem to make perfect sense to me.  Not how’d I’d do it, but also it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  I wanted him up day 1 and thought he would be and was pretty vocal about it. 

Tomorrow is an intersection of bypassing all the various ballpark Opening Day hooplas, and still treating a key individual equitably with respect to giving MLB service for what there is a nice amount of evidence is one of the Club's top-tier ballplayers.

This precise timing just amplifies general Rubenstein excitement.

All the stuff former financial analyst Ben Clemens was penny-wise, pound-foolish confused about the other day....clarified here.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

My read: Kemp bought Elias an extra two weeks to give Holliday AAA reps and get a look at the ROY race. With Texas boys off to a slow start Elias decided to pull the trigger. Yes, "need to hit lefties" was GM speak just as much as "strong chance at opening day roster." At the end of the day he made the right move, and what he says doesn't matter.

That's a good point in my opinion - those guys starting slow changes the odds on that draft pick. now maybe holliday misses the toughest 30 PA of the season, avoids those weighing down his season #s.