Holliday called up!

jcaponio

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can't possibly believe less than 15 PAs against lefties changed anything, can you?

No, I don't. I think regular playing time is the reason he was down there and they wanted to see how he started. That was in reply to why he wasn't in Boston today. They have a dozen other options to keep him down if they wanted to wait 3 more days to game his service time and they aren't using them, so personally, I've ruled that out as an option.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe Rubenstein meddled, and it was incomprehensible to Elias he'd be allowed to move on that easily!

This would be worst case scenario.  But it is possible.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Why?

Acute and chronic stress load management.

Kinda like in Apollo 13 when the pocket protector docs wouldn't let Gary Sinise go when he was about to get a cold.     It won't be as rambunctious tomorrow so a stat producing robot can do their craft in relative quiet.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I see where you’re coming from but I’m not sure how much I buy it.  I dunno that 51 additional plate appearances should make anyone feel that a players mastered anything, it’s a small sample size in slightly larger small sample size in this case. 

But you do have to like the results. He’s mashed so far, the way you want to see the #1 player mash against minor league pitching. 

I’m stoked that he’s up and I hope he starts tomorrow night. 

Well no matter what, I think we all can agree to the bolded.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I truly think they didn't want the Game 1 to be with the Fenway opening day crowd.     

Really? I don't know. How can you think this kid is as good as we know they think he is, if he can't handle being in another team's opening day game?

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

SS Gunnar, C Adley, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, DH O'Hearn, CF Mullins, LF Cowser, 3B Westburg, 2B Holliday

thats a world winning lineup.

Starting to look like those dream lineups that have been posted the last couple years.  

Just missing the Mayo for extra flavor.  

First time 3 #1 prospects have been in same lineup? 

Edited by emmett16

If this is not because of an MLB trade or injury, I don't see how the timing in relation to the one-year service time threshold can be a coincidence. Sigbot collected data until nearly the last moment it could, to call a shot that the expected value of calling up Holliday now (including a potential PPI pick) outweighs the expected value of calling him up later (including a potential extra year of control).

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 1

I mean, when you OPS 1.1 even in only 50 PAs it does affect your projections a little bit.  Assuming the Orioles really believe in the quality of contact and strikeout rates etc. then it would meaningfully affect his projections.  Mookie Betts has already added 1.7 WAR from his preseason ZIPS projections, while Hays has lost around 1 WAR.

I initially guessed when he was sent down that if he continued to rake that they'd bring him up before the 15 day cutoff, because it would meaningfully change his projections enough that they'd be likely to lose the extra year anyway, and they would want to give him the opportunity to earn an extra pick.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

Texas game just ended - Carter got his first HR of the year and at 736 OPS, and Langford at 640 OPS was routinely removed for a defensive replacement in the late innings.

Red Sox contract says they are confident Ceddanne Rafaela will be good for years.

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Kemp made a helluva sliding catch today. 

Absolutely.  Nice curtain call.

I hope he catches on with another team.  Seems like a fantastic guy with a ton of positive energy.