Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

On 8/5/2024 at 4:09 PM, emmett16 said:

Catching Burnes this year:

Adley 80 ip 20 SB

McCann 63.2 ip 11 SB

Actually now it’s Adley 86 IP 22 SB.   He’s caught 3 runners when Burnes is pitching, McCann has caught 1.  I don’t make much of this comparison; either way, Burnes flat out sucks at holding runners.  

McCann by the way is -5 on framing.  

Adley is no. 1 in catcher blocking at +11, translating to 3 blocking runs.  McCann is at -3 blocks, translating to -1 run.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Actually now it’s Adley 86 IP 22 SB.   He’s caught 3 runners when Burnes is pitching, McCann has caught 1.  I don’t make much of this comparison; either way, Burnes flat out sucks at holding runners.  

McCann by the way is -5 on framing.  

Adley is no. 1 in catcher blocking at +11, translating to 3 blocking runs.  McCann is at -3 blocks, translating to -1 run.  

He’s been other worldly at blocking, I made a comment the other day.  Believe they said on the broadcast that he’s  had 1 passed ball in 2 years now (or something absurd like that).  But for me, receiving is the more important skill.

Burns is awful at holding runners.  They need to work on something before playoffs, just can’t let guys run free like that.  Heck, go for the 3rd pick-off if they are gonna run wild with massive jumps and get to second base anyways.  

I thought Adley should have had the guy on the pitch out.  Not a great PO throw location by Burnes, but the throw to 2B was poor.  A good throw would have had him.  

Hyde has really backed off Rutschman of late.   In the first three months, he started 78 of 84 games (92.8%).   Since then, he’s started 27 of 35 (77%).   With 43 games to go, he’s already started more games on the bench this year (14) than last (13). 

Could be because he’s been slumping, or it could be by design, figuring that they should rest him more to keep him fresh.  

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hyde has really backed off Rutschman of late.   In the first three months, he started 78 of 84 games (92.8%).   Since then, he’s started 27 of 35 (77%).   With 43 games to go, he’s already started more games on the bench this year (14) than last (13). 

Could be because he’s been slumping, or it could be by design, figuring that they should rest him more to keep him fresh.  

He could be banged up/nursing something. I think there’s a decent chance that’s what is happening.  

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Pregame Hyde says he might be available off the bench tonight, FWIW.

He was up stretching and looked like he might come in last night at one point.  He had cleats on in the dugout as well.  

On 8/11/2024 at 2:10 PM, Frobby said:

This probably has more to do with Eloy than anything, I’d say. Rutschman doesn’t need to DH if Jimenez can. 

After watching Adley the last few weeks I just think something looks off with him.  I am guessing he is playing through something that is really nagging or was playing through something that has affected his swing.  His posture and balance is not similar to where it was last year.  It just looks like he is swinging with more upper body rotation which looks labored.  

Also, even though he doesn't have a gun his throws look like they are really lacking zip.  Lots of one hops to second that aren't even really close to throwing anybody out.  I know much of the blame can go on the pitchers but at this point it almost appears that anyone with speed gets a double if they get on first somehow.  That is not a recipe to win close games.  

The last thing I will mention which I hate to say since I love the guy, he does look a little heavy to me.  Maybe it is just him aging and that is the way he is filling out but most catchers lose weight during the season and he looks bigger.  Put it to you this way, when you put McCann and Adley side by side, who looks like they are in better physical condition?

I don't mean to sound critical but he has not looked like himself for a couple months now.  Maybe it is his back, or when he got hit on the hand.  Catching does take its toll so maybe that is just the wear and tear on his body.  Just feels like this season so far has been a drop off from last season and I guess I was expecting an uptick.

Just now, interloper said:

He's kind of killing this team, to be honest. It's a huge problem if this is who he is going forward. 

I am not very worried about that, if you’re talking about beyond this year.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I am not very worried about that, if you’re talking about beyond this year.  

I am, and I'm with you that it's probably not something to worry about just yet. I'm hoping he's just really banged up or something. And that off-season adjustments are coming. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's kind of killing this team, to be honest. It's a huge problem if this is who he is going forward. 

He had a horrible July (.132/.482). I don't have to look it up--I am sure that is easily his worst month as a pro. It really seemed like he hit a wall around the All Star Game and hasn't been right ever since. 

August has been OK but not great, .265/.725. Maybe some signs that he is getting right but we need more from him. This is really the first time he has struggled for such a stretch. Will be interesting to see how he responds. 

25 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

After watching Adley the last few weeks I just think something looks off with him.  I am guessing he is playing through something that is really nagging or was playing through something that has affected his swing.  His posture and balance is not similar to where it was last year.  It just looks like he is swinging with more upper body rotation which looks labored.  

There is/was definitely something wrong. He was scratched from a start and has played less than usual. Hopefully it is something he can work through. 

20 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

Also, even though he doesn't have a gun his throws look like they are really lacking zip.  Lots of one hops to second that aren't even really close to throwing anybody out.  I know much of the blame can go on the pitchers but at this point it almost appears that anyone with speed gets a double if they get on first somehow.  That is not a recipe to win close games.  

The last thing I will mention which I hate to say since I love the guy, he does look a little heavy to me.  Maybe it is just him aging and that is the way he is filling out but most catchers lose weight during the season and he looks bigger.  Put it to you this way, when you put McCann and Adley side by side, who looks like they are in better physical condition?

I don't mean to sound critical but he has not looked like himself for a couple months now.  Maybe it is his back, or when he got hit on the hand.  Catching does take its toll so maybe that is just the wear and tear on his body.  Just feels like this season so far has been a drop off from last season and I guess I was expecting an uptick.

I'm thinking it's Adley's back.  As someone who has dealt with back problems for years they are usually chronic.  Back pain could definitely affect lots of what Adley does as a catcher especially throwing.  Not so much throwing but the quick movement to a throwing position.  I wonder if the uppercut swing and falling to one knee is to protect his back?  Well the good news is Adley has the best treatment possible for his back and can get it worked on daily unlike us guys with regular jobs who might get it looked twice a month.