Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Looking at the previous winners for comeback player, it seems you have to have been an established guy before sucking. Suarez has just come out of nowhere. I don't think there's an award for that. Hopefully the O's find a way to pay him that is advantageous both to him and the team, he deserves it big time. 

yeah good points for sure as 115 mlb innings pitched before this year hardly accounts as established. I'm with you, I know it's a business but he deserves something.

Super encouraged by the development of Big Al’s changeup and curveball, both on display last night.  Pitch quality and versatility way up compared to early in season mostly fastball/cuter. And in those early outings was dependent on fastball swing+miss and would consequently run pitch count up and be finished at 5 innings.  Having a viable 4 pitch mix clearly baffled the RedSox and led to 21 swing + miss (6 FB, 7 CH, 6 CB, 2 FC) and 8 Ks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Looking at the previous winners for comeback player, it seems you have to have been an established guy before sucking. Suarez has just come out of nowhere. I don't think there's an award for that. Hopefully the O's find a way to pay him that is advantageous both to him and the team, he deserves it big time. 

He may pull some of that pre-Arb bonus pool money the league funds.

Cot's doesn't have him to Arb1 until 2026, so it is hard to beat more advantageous for the team than production at the minimum.

It will take a lot for Trevor Rogers to regain a job assuming Eflin, Grayson, Kremer and Povich are the top 4 priority plays without any new imports, but I believe we know what Elias' blueprint called for.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He just keeps getting it done. Honestly, for a game 3, who else would you rather have?  I’d rather have Big Al out there than any of the other realistic deadline targets in Fedde or Kikuchi. Probably only a healthy/performing well Grayson would knock him to game 4 or the pen. 

He doesn’t give up homers. Doesn’t beat himself. Feels like we could win a “sprint” with him in a playoff game. 

Burnes, Eflin, Suarez. Might not be sexy, but them dudes are all horses and competitors. 

If he keeps this up--and this last start's accomplished pitch repertoire shows he may actually up his game--and the Orioles go to the Series, Mr. Suarez is going to be one of the big MLB stories of 2024.