Kjerstad Joining Team

42 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Well, I mean, Mayo seems basically ready now and I think we're talking about a pretty special hitter, there. Let's overact and say Mounty is having a breakout season based on this SSS...we're still talking about probably an .850 OPS season tops. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think Mayo can likely replicate that in his first full season (if we can find some ABs for him somehow this season, obviously, that'd be great) and the upside is much, much higher. 

Would I package Mountcastle, Norby, and Stowers for a top arm? Yes. Would I package even a few of them for just a top relief arm? Perhaps, too, depending on the arm and the package. Next season we'll be getting into that part of the project where even the smallest upgrades we'll need to be aggressive in pursuing them. 

There were 18 players in all of MLB who had an OPS of .850 or higher last year. I don't think people realize that is a pretty high bar.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

New Kids on the Block line-up — could be more fun than the singing group.

They could go 0 for the season and they'd still be more fun than the singing group.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

There were 18 players in all of MLB who had an OPS of .850 or higher last year. I don't think people realize that is a pretty high bar.

Lower the bar to 400 PAs and there were 27.  Health and platoons?  Still less than 1 per team. 

In the early going, there are 42 over .850.  Still wouldn't count on it, but crazier things have happened from lesser talent over the course of a season.

As a team, O's team OPS is .780.  Sure a few mild surprises, but also a nothing burger from Holliday.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Also, it might take trading Norby AND Stowers to get back a difference making starting pitcher. Would you be comfortable with that? Or do you think it would be better for him to be the 10th - 12th hitter on the team next year.

Norby and Stowers aren’t bringing a difference-making starting pitcher (maybe you meant Mounty in the package also).  I don’t think anyone would hesitate (least of all Elias) if that opportunity presented itself.

I’d part with Norby and Stowers for a difference making relief pitcher like Hunter Harvey, Lucas Erczeg, Griffin Jax, Anthony Bender, Calvin Faucher, or Ryan Helsey.  They can also have Mike Bauman and for some of those targets, I’d also throw in Seth Johnson.

I have more confidence in Kjerstad's defense in the outfield than what is seems like most people here do. I've seen him play the outfield in person several times tracking down fly balls and he always made plays that I thought were not routine fly balls to get to. He might not be fast but he knows what angles to take to get to them.

I'd probably say that Right Field is his best position. Though in some cases and baseball fields he can play left field if you need him.

I certainly feel more confident about Kjerstad's defense in the OF than I do O'Hearn.

But I feel more confident about O'Hearn playing 1st Base than I do Kjerstad.

Both make for a pretty good DH. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Norby and Stowers aren’t bringing a difference-making starting pitcher (maybe you meant Mounty in the package also).  I don’t think anyone would hesitate (least of all Elias) if that opportunity presented itself.

I’d part with Norby and Stowers for a difference making relief pitcher like Hunter Harvey, Lucas Erczeg, Griffin Jax, Anthony Bender, Calvin Faucher, or Ryan Helsey.  They can also have Mike Bauman and for some of those targets, I’d also throw in Seth Johnson.

No, I meant those two as part of a package plus more (depending on the pitcher). But let's say it's Jesus Luzardo. You may need to include those two plus about 2 more. (Maybe they don't want Stowers who knows?). I don't Mike Baumann is valued at anything more than a throw in. He's not very good.

But yes I would part with those w for a good reliever. It's super early in the season so there's plenty of time to see how things shake out. But as of right now, we will probably need a starter and a middle reliever. 

I will not be shocked if Kjerstad forces himself into the lineup. LH or not, he and Cowser are better than Hays and probably Santander. There will be a timeshare for sure, and it could take a minute, but Kjerstad could be an even better hitter than Cowser.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I will not be shocked if Kjerstad forces himself into the lineup. LH or not, he and Cowser are better than Hays and probably Santander. There will be a timeshare for sure, and it could take a minute, but Kjerstad could be an even better hitter than Cowser.

I saw Heston play in Houston (say that three times fast) and that guy hit a homerun that looked like he barely swung at all and yet it powered over the right field wall. Heston is incredibly strong, big, and has great plate discipline. Santander is great because he’s a switch hitter, but if Heston can hit lefties, they really are very similar players. Here’s hoping his defense has improved because he’s the heir apparent in right.

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I saw Heston play in Houston (say that three times fast) and that guy hit a homerun that looked like he barely swung at all and yet it powered over the right field wall. Heston is incredibly strong, big, and has great plate discipline. Santander is great because he’s a switch hitter, but if Heston can hit lefties, they really are very similar players. Here’s hoping his defense has improved because he’s the heir apparent in right.

Heston has that classic old school 40-homer-lefty-slugger thing going on. He just looks the part up there. I haven't loved his defense in AAA but I'm willing to withhold too much judgement until we see him out there for awhile. 

More rest for Tony Taters is probably a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Are you talking about the one he hit into the Crawford boxes in left? I don't think he hit one out to right in Houston. Unless you're talking about a college game maybe.

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

I saw Heston play in Houston (say that three times fast) and that guy hit a homerun that looked like he barely swung at all and yet it powered over the right field wall. Heston is incredibly strong, big, and has great plate discipline. 

He did the same thing when I watched him in Bowie. The Baysox were down 1 run in the 8th and Heston came up to bat. He worked a 3-1 count and I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said, "This is a great hitters count. Maybe he can target his pitch and hit one out." Then seconds later he hits a bomb that goes over the right field wall to tie the game. The guy next to me was astonished. 

That was the game that convinced me he'd make it to Baltimore soon enough. 2 months later he got the call.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Better than Santander is a higher bar than some people seem to think. HK or Cowser will have had a really nice rookie year if they can accomplish that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deward said:

Better than Santander is a higher bar than some people seem to think. HK or Cowser will have had a really nice rookie year if they can accomplish that.

Especially defensively. Tony really knows what he's doing out there, despite the lack of speed. 

Hilarious amount of talent on this roster.