Kjerstad Joining Team

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welp, everyone wanted him up here. Injury got him here. 

I can’t criticize him for having an aggressive approach versus Canning because he pitches to contact. The runner scores on the bobble anyway. The throw home probably gets made by Santander as well, and probably doesn’t get the runner. 

Overall, he’s a better OF than O’Hearn and that’s what we needed for last night’s game. We’ll get home for the Yankees series and reevaluate the roster. Maybe we’ll choose to bring up McKenna if they start a lefty, although I think Elias is happy he has him in AAA in case Mullins gets hurt. 

The Yankees have two lefties slated to go in the series against us. Our old friend Cortes and Carlos Rodon (who has pitched much better this year than he did last year).

Just now, Going Underground said:

The A's look like they will be starting one lefty this weekend.  

Yes Sears on Saturday. I was talking about the Yankees series which starts after that on Monday (4 games).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Overall, he’s a better OF than O’Hearn and that’s what we needed for last night’s game. We’ll get home for the Yankees series and reevaluate the roster. Maybe we’ll choose to bring up McKenna if they start a lefty, although I think Elias is happy he has him in AAA in case Mullins gets hurt. 

Those were two crappy plays and each one resulted in a runner advancing to 2B.   The burden of proof is on Kjerstad to show he’s better than O’Hearn out there.   He sure didn’t prove it last night.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Those were two crappy plays and each one resulted in a runner advancing to 2B.   The burden of proof is on Kjerstad to show he’s better than O’Hearn out there.   He sure didn’t prove it last night.  

He looked much smoother than O'Hearn does.  It was his first game up.  I am sure he was a bit nervous.  Adell made a nice play yesterday.  He was absolutely abominable when he first came up.  Cowser was terrible last year.  Kid needs reps.  I was impressed that he looked a little thinner than last year.  That should help for range.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He looked much smoother than O'Hearn does.  It was his first game up.  I am sure he was a bit nervous.  Adell made a nice play yesterday.  He was absolutely abominable when he first came up.  Cowser was terrible last year.  Kid needs reps.  I was impressed that he looked a little thinner than last year.  That should help for range.

I know I'm getting up there in age but I could have sworn he was in the majors last year.

Edit- Just checked and yea, 13 games last season.  Even played some outfield last year.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lost in the cut play was that HJ got no help from Holliday who hesitated as if he had to cover the bag (he's not a 2b yet).   HJ made a poor throw but Holliday has to be in the correct position for the cut-not running and expecting the RF to pick him up.  Palmer thought they had a play at second but with Holliday hesitating and not lined up he would have to catch the ball then set and then throw against his momentum which isn't easy.  Not excusing the poor throw but the execution of the throw is a lot easier if the first cut in lined up correctly and not still moving.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know I'm getting up there in age but I could have sworn he was in the majors last year.

Edit- Just checked and yea, 13 games last season.  Even played some outfield last year.

First game up this season.  He played a whole 2 games in the field in the MLB last year and might have been a little nervous that it is a sign that the team doesn't trust him in the field.  

3 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Lost in the cut play was that HJ got no help from Holliday who hesitated as if he had to cover the bag (he's not a 2b yet).   HJ made a poor throw but Holliday has to be in the correct position for the cut-not running and expecting the RF to pick him up.  Palmer thought they had a play at second but with Holliday hesitating and not lined up he would have to catch the ball then set and then throw against his momentum which isn't easy.  Not excusing the poor throw but the execution of the throw is a lot easier if the first cut in lined up correctly and not still moving.  

Good catch.   The announcers said he missed the first cutoff man and I accepted that but I just watched it again and Holliday isn’t in position.

On the other hand, a more experienced or heads up OF realizes he should just one hop a throw to Henderson covering 2B to keep the hitter from advancing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

Good catch.   The announcers said he missed the first cutoff man and I accepted that but I just watched it again and Holliday isn’t in position.

On the other hand, a more experienced or heads up OF realizes he should just one hop a throw to Henderson covering 2B to keep the hitter from advancing.

This is correct, the ball should have been thrown to 2B, he wasn't getting an out at the plate.