Kjerstad Joining Team

4 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

So who goes when Hays comes back if Heston hits? I also will wonder if Heston gets enough ABs ?

Let's hope that's an issue when he's available. I could see Hays doing an extended minor league rehab if the team is doing well and everyone is hitting.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The Orioles are headed in a direction where we will have good to great hitters 1- 9. Even if we take a step back whenever Kjerstad takes over for Santander or if Mayo takes over for O'Hearn or Mountcastle next year (which is reasonable to project), we will still be an elite offense because of everyone else.

I don't want to say this lacking humility, but with the massive amount of talent that the Orioles have collected, it's too big/too much to really go wrong.

I was speaking about replicating production this season when the goal is to win a World Series for the 1 season that we have Corbin Burnes.

I hope you’re right that the accumulation of talent is too big to go wrong, but I am a much more cautious. I like where Cowser and Westburg are at, but I’ll need to see it for more than 3 weeks (though I have always had less doubts about Cowser). I’ll also need to see it from others as they get promoted. As much as I believe that Mayo is going to be elite, he still has to prove it. The track record right now is great, so I hope it continues.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I was speaking about replicating production this season when the goal is to win a World Series for the 1 season that we have Corbin Burnes.

I hope you’re right that the accumulation of talent is too big to go wrong, but I am a much more cautious. I like where Cowser and Westburg are at, but I’ll need to see it for more than 3 weeks (though I have always had less doubts about Cowser). I’ll also need to see it from others as they get promoted. As much as I believe that Mayo is going to be elite, he still has to prove it. The track record right now is great, so I hope it continues.

Understood. I was talking about this season and beyond. 

Yes, I most certainly believe that some will not live up to expectations and some may even fail. But when you have this many, it is very difficult that it all goes wrong.

In honesty, we have more high level prospects than even HOU had during their dynastic run.

11 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

So who goes when Hays comes back if Heston hits? I also will wonder if Heston gets enough ABs ?

Kjerstad.  It’s more about Mountcastle.  If Mountcastle is healthy he’s at 1B everyday.  Against RHP there are no spots available for Kjerstad.   They aren’t platooning him against LHP.  Ain’t gonna happen.   Unless Mountcastle is down for an extended period or someone else gets hurt this is going to be a short stay for Kjerstad.     

Now criers gonna cry the same way they do when you mention the possibility of Holliday getting sent down.  Lol

Now, I hope Holliday goes 4-4 and Kjerstad hits two homers tonight.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kjerstad.  It’s more about Mountcastle.  If Mountcastle is healthy he’s at 1B everyday.  Against RHP there are no spots available for Kjerstad.   They aren’t platooning him against LHP.  Ain’t gonna happen.   Unless Mountcastle is down for an extended period or someone else gets hurt this is going to be a short stay for Kjerstad.     

Now criers gonna cry the same way they do when you mention the possibility of Holliday getting sent down.  Lol

Now, I hope Holliday goes 4-4 and Kjerstad hits two homers tonight.

I think you're basically right, probability-wise. 

That said, almost no one thought Kjerstad coming up today was the move they were going to make. So... you never really know with Mike and roster moves. But I agree, it's tough to figure out how he stays if Mounty is healthy when Hays comes back. 

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not crushing Santander either, but he's a career .765 OPS guy. It was .797 last year. His only year over .800 was the Covid year. He plays average defense. Not a butcher, but not exactly rangy out there.

Long story short, I think you can get similar power with more OBP from Kjerstad and Cowser with similar defense for Kjerstad and better for Cowser.

So yes, I'd say they'll be better than Santander.

I think you're underestimating the value of an OPS around .800 in the current offensive environment. From a quick glance at BB Ref, it looks like Santander was 6th in OPS in all of baseball among players whose primary position was RF (a couple of spots lower if you include guys who spent time in RF, but it wasn't their primary position). I think Cowser and HK both have the potential to exceed that, but it's certainly not a given that one or both actually does so, especially this year.

• Upvote 1

O's play 10 games in a row between April 26th and May 5th.   I would think no position player (not even Gunnar) plays all those games.   Everybody gets a day off sometime in that stretch is my guess.   That could make room for Kjerstad to be in the lineup almost like a regular.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you're basically right, probability-wise. 

That said, almost no one thought Kjerstad coming up today was the move they were going to make. So... you never really know with Mike and roster moves. But I agree, it's tough to figure out how he stays if Mounty is healthy when Hays comes back. 

If Kjerstadt hits well I see no reason to send him back down, he could DH if necessary, good teams find a place for a good hitter.

1 hour ago, catseyepub said:

Overwhelmingly, players career years is at age 26.

He's already 25, yes he can be a late bloomer but remember most great prospects come up at ages 20-23.

Holidays got 5 years on him.

And if age was the ONLY data point we used for projection, you MIGHT then have a point.  But its not, and you don't.