Kjerstad Joining Team

5 hours ago, catseyepub said:

Overwhelmingly, players career years is at age 26.

He's already 25, yes he can be a late bloomer but remember most great prospects come up at ages 20-23.

Holidays got 5 years on him.

Between 24 and 30, the median performance deviates like, 3% from the statistical peak.  There are numerous players whose true peak is not at age 26.  This completely misapplies the concept of peak, and ignores the weird development environment caused by COVID.  It doesn't really matter if Kjerstad came up late, as long as he can prove he can perform now.    It would affect his ability to secure a second contract after he hits free agency, but that is not what is being discussed.

9 hours ago, deward said:

I seem to recall Kjerstad sporting gear emblazoned with Silent J during spring training; I think he's had the nickname since college.

Do they still do that thing they did a few years back where they wear weird uni's one weekend in August and everyone has goofy/meme-y nicknames on their uniforms instead of their names?

Not a good start.   Bobbles a ball letting Rengifo take 2nd.   Next play overthrows the first cutoff guy allowing runner to take 2nd.  First AB, swings at first pitch fastball strike.  Good.  Then swings at high fastball and low breaking pitch neither close to being a strike.  Bad.  Not a problem.   We got playoff version GRod tonight.

He has seen 7 pitches so far..swung at all of them. Missed 5, foul and a soft liner for an out.

Seems a little anxious.  Swinging at a lot of balls and bobbled the ball in the OF. (Did think he showed a good arm out there though, which Tony has said is an issue)

Probably rushed him up here.

Welp, everyone wanted him up here. Injury got him here. 

I can’t criticize him for having an aggressive approach versus Canning because he pitches to contact. The runner scores on the bobble anyway. The throw home probably gets made by Santander as well, and probably doesn’t get the runner. 

Overall, he’s a better OF than O’Hearn and that’s what we needed for last night’s game. We’ll get home for the Yankees series and reevaluate the roster. Maybe we’ll choose to bring up McKenna if they start a lefty, although I think Elias is happy he has him in AAA in case Mullins gets hurt. 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Kjerstad is not remotely similar to Holliday in age or MiLB experience. It's OK to just admit when you are wrong sometimes.

If he had to admit when he was wrong and he wouldn’t have time for all of the posts that are wrong.  Vicious cycle.

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

Yep, I was completely wrong.  Glad to see it!

And you were right he probably should not have been out there! My hunch was not that he would be better but just that they would use the opportunity to rest Santander a bit while auditioning the kid.

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welp, everyone wanted him up here. Injury got him here. 

I can’t criticize him for having an aggressive approach versus Canning because he pitches to contact. The runner scores on the bobble anyway. The throw home probably gets made by Santander as well, and probably doesn’t get the runner. 

Overall, he’s a better OF than O’Hearn and that’s what we needed for last night’s game. We’ll get home for the Yankees series and reevaluate the roster. Maybe we’ll choose to bring up McKenna if they start a lefty, although I think Elias is happy he has him in AAA in case Mullins gets hurt. 

Hello!   The guy who hit the ball, Rengifo, wound up on 2B because of the bobble and scored on the next single where the runner also advance to 2B because Kjerstad missed the first cutoff man.   Two singles turned into doubles on consecutive plays.  God forbid, O’Hearn did that.  The pitchforks would be out.  Let’s try and keep it real.