Gunnar/ Adley . Would Gunnar have been a good choice at 1-1?

Philip

Gunnar vs Adley

Adley 26 FA at 28 10..8 WAR in 1084 ABs

Gunnar 22 FA at 29 8.8 WAR in 773 ABs

Gunnar has 5 more home runs in 311 fewer at bats, is younger, faster, more powerful, and plays, at a high level, a premium position that wears down more slowly.

I don’t want to take anything from AR, he’s been incredible for the team, and offense isn’t the dominant part of his value, and he’ll be all star quality- hopefully for us- for another many years.

Gunnar is just so good that I was idly wondering whether he’d have been a good choice at 1-1.

I know that as things worked out, we got them both. Still an interesting question.

Hope so anyway.

No, because no one had him ranked that high.  If you were picking at the top of the draft like us or somewhere near the top, you could have picked your guy (we took Adley) and still had a shot at Gunnar later.  That's how it played out for us.  It could have played out that way for someone else if they had the #1 pick and took Adley and then still had a shot at Gunnar later, too.

• Upvote 2

Easy answer is yes with the benefit of hindsight. 

Even better is the reality that we got both of them.

I think everyone on earth would say that Tom Brady and Albert Pujols would have been great values at 1-1, but they slipped for whatever reasons. Talent evaluation is hard as hell at the pro level.

Fun question. To me it's an easy yes, but I'm psyched to have both of these guys.

He would have been a good 1:1 but he is an absolute game changer at 42. If I had to pick between the two... That's really tough. Fortunately we don't have to. Elias accomplished the impossible by getting them both in the same draft. Along with Stowers, Ortiz, and Hernaiz. That has to be one of the best draft classes of all time. 

Adley was a nearly finished product when picked, if not for tradition and service time stuff he could have been in the majors shortly after he left college. Gunnar needed 1000+ minor league plate appearances as a high school pick.

Ask this same question about the 1990-2017 Orioles with their development system. They certainly could have found a way to screw up Gunnar, would have been harder with Adley.

Obviously in hindsight Gunnar would have been an excellent 1:1 pick. Having Adley at 1:1 and Gunnar at 42 is even better. Plus they ended up with the 40th pick in the draft... we'll have to wait to see how that plays out. 

In hindsight, it will become clearer and clearer that the 1:1 should have been either Bobby Witt Jr. or CJ Abrahms each of which has MVP potential this year at the most valuable position on the field (SS)

Imagine Bobby Witt Jr at SS and Gunnar at 3B

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

In hindsight, it will become clearer and clearer that the 1:1 should have been either Bobby Witt Jr. or CJ Abrahms each of which has MVP potential this year at the most valuable position on the field (SS)

With Pedro Severino catching?

I did want Abrams as the #1 pick but am happy with AR. I don’t imagine this group would have been patient enough with Abrams, as he is just now coming into his own. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I was wondering when we’d hear from you about Abrams.  We’ll see if his hot start is for real.  Great news for the Nats if he is as good as he’s looked this month.  They could use a few breaks.  

Weird thread.  No, is obviously the answer.  You could question if Witt was the pick over Adley.  We could have a Gunnar-Witt left side for 15 years but Adley is the leader of this team.  Kid has tremendous value on and off the field.