Basallo for Miller y/n?

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Basallo could end up being the best hitter at catcher since Mauer or Piazza there's no way I'm trading him for a reliever with a history of arm trouble.

He could also stall out and never make it out of AAA.

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Basallo could end up being the best hitter at catcher since Mauer or Piazza there's no way I'm trading him for a reliever with a history of arm trouble.

There is no guarantee of that whatsoever. It is possible that we could be betting a World Series on that. 

I’m not saying that we have to trade him. But I am strongly in the camp that we HAVE to upgrade from Kimbrel (when the time comes) if we want to win a championship. Miller is so much better than Kimbrel.

And then next season we could have Miller and Bautista in the same bullpen!

A Miller acquisition may make it possible for back-to-back World Series runs/championships. Would that be worth giving up Basallo (even if he becomes Mauer/Piazza/Posey)?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no guarantee of that whatsoever. It is possible that we could be betting a World Series on that. 

I’m not saying that we have to trade him. But I am strongly in the camp that we HAVE to upgrade from Kimbrel (when the time comes) if we want to win a championship. Miller is so much better than Kimbrel.

And then next season we could have Miller and Bautista in the same bullpen!

A Miller acquisition may make it possible for back-to-back World Series runs/championships. Would that be worth giving up Basallo (even if he becomes Mauer/Piazza/Posey)?

Elias has enough trade capital to swing a deal for a reliever that doesn't involve Basallo or Mayo. I'm not 100% opposed to trading either of them, but Miller can be had for different players.

I'm completely onboard for upgrading the bullpen, but the Orioles are loaded with players that can be traded without giving one of their top prospects. I'll trust what Elias does, but I don't seem him making this proposed deal.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That trade may not be there to be made. Who knows?

Let me ask you, would you rather trade Mayo or Basallo if you had to choose one?

That's a tough one and I can't say for sure because I don't know which one the O's coaches is more likely to be a career DH.  I expect I would rather trade Mayo.  But I would change my mind on that if the coaches think he has a realistic shot at playing 3rd base or good defense anywhere.  Watching Cowser in the outfield, even if he were hitting well now, makes me wonder if he could lose his starting job just because of his defense.

I think the O's have a shot at trading for Miller without giving up either player.  The system is too deep.  Maybe one of Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers and one of Povich/McDermott/Johnson and then on down to Tavera and maybe even another player or two for Miller.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias has enough trade capital to swing a deal for a reliever that doesn't involve Basallo or Mayo. I'm not 100% opposed to trading either of them, but Miller can be had for different players.

I'm completely onboard for upgrading the bullpen, but the Orioles are loaded with players that can be traded without giving one of their top prospects. I'll trust what Elias does, but I don't seem him making this proposed deal.

I don’t think that Miller will be then ONLY move that we can make. But he will be the BEST acquisition that we can make.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think that Miller will be then ONLY move that we can make. But he will be the BEST acquisition that we can make.

It would be interesting to see how other teams assess his injury risk relative to the average hard throwing MLB pitcher these days.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

That's a tough one and I can't say for sure because I don't know which one the O's coaches is more likely to be a career DH.  I expect I would rather trade Mayo.  But I would change my mind on that if the coaches think he has a realistic shot at playing 3rd base or good defense anywhere.  Watching Cowser in the outfield, even if he were hitting well now, makes me wonder if he could lose his starting job just because of his defense.

I think the O's have a shot at trading for Miller without giving up either player.  The system is too deep.  Maybe one of Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers and one of Povich/McDermott/Johnson and then on down to Tavera and maybe even another player or two for Miller.

The A’s will have no use for Stowers as a serious trade chip. Maybe he’s a throw in along with the major pieces? But he in no way is equivalent of Kjerstad or Cowser. 

Furthermore if you have questions/concerns about Cowser, you don’t think they will? You don’t think that they are aware of his issues and that their evaluators/scouts can watch film of him butchering plays?

Kjerstad is 25 now (already in his prime). Why would the A’s trade Miller for him? Miller has 5 more years of control. Their whole rationale for wanting to move Miller is to sacrifice the now for the later (buying years in the future and sacrificing the present). They are likely to want guys who are you and/or guys further away from MLB but still have tremendous upside.

Povich/McDermott/Johnson? I guess they can be used as add ons. But I can’t see those kind of guys being main pieces for an EXTREMELY VALUABLE commodity like Miller. Miller has the ability to be the best late inning weapon in the sport and he has FIVE more years of control after this season.

That kind of player is not going to be acquired for spare parts. We are going to have to beat other offers for him.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The A’s will have no use for Stowers as a serious trade chip. Maybe he’s a throw in along with the major pieces? But he in no way is equivalent of Kjerstad or Cowser. 

Furthermore if you have questions/concerns about Cowser, you don’t think they will? You don’t think that they are aware of his issues and that their evaluators/scouts can watch film of him butchering plays?

Kjerstad is 25 now (already in his prime). Why would the A’s trade Miller for him? Miller has 5 more years of control. Their whole rationale for wanting to move Miller is to sacrifice the now for the later (buying years in the future and sacrificing the present). They are likely to want guys who are you and/or guys further away from MLB but still have tremendous upside.

Povich/McDermott/Johnson? I guess they can be used as add ons. But I can’t see those kind of guys being main pieces for an EXTREMELY VALUABLE commodity like Miller. Miller has the ability to be the best late inning weapon in the sport and he has FIVE more years of control after this season.

That kind of player is not going to be acquired for spare parts. We are going to have to beat other offers for him.

what about just waiting for Bautista to come back and use those type of players to get a good starter with some control? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Whose better than Cowser on defense? 

How does Norby look out there?

7 minutes ago, frankwhite said:

what about just waiting for Bautista to come back and use those type of players to get a good starter with some control? 

He’s not coming back this season. A starter is not what we need right now. Maybe if there are injuries by the deadline we may need that too? But right now with the roster as currently constructed, we don’t have a closer who Inwouod trust to pitch (and be consistently successful) in October.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Not sure they would question Cowser's defense as much as Mayo's.  Maybe Basallo's too.  They may be more concerned about Cowser's bat.  Don't know why Kjerstad being 25 is such a big issue.  Mason Miller is also 25 and more likely to flame out than a hitter.  

I agree about Stowers but I think a deal for Norby, Stowers, McDermott and Tavera and maybe another player would be hard for the A's to be resist.  But I'm not paid to make these decisions so I don't know. 

Also, I'm not sure the likelihood the O's would think Miller would last 5 years throwing that hard.  They may be more comfortable trading less for a reliever who is a FA after this season or next, and I would not blame them.  You yourself said there will be a lot of relievers available, though I don't know how many better than Kimbrel.  

I think any team interested in Miller would want to see a couple more months of him before making an offer.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Whose better than Cowser on defense? 

How does Norby look out there?

Indeed, which outfielders hit better than Cowser too?  Suddenly none of them have looked so great with the bat lately.  There is still a lot to learn about Colton Cowser and how much he can improve. 

It's not struck in stone that all of our position players have to come the minors -- at least I don't think it is.