Basallo for Miller y/n?

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with all of this.  However, if we sign Adley to an extension then that makes Basallo a tad less valuable.  Not that he isn't an uber prospect.  Also, like you said we're going to be good for a decade.  Ok, well we'd have miller for next 6 postseasons.  He would pair with Cano for 5 of those, and Bautista for 4.  With our offense that is a good recipe to win a WS.  

I think we're all blown away by Mason Miller and 103.  It makes us miss Bautista.  We're just going to have to see who all is available at the deadline.  

We still need a backup C and if that backup C mashes like a first baseman and plays first base or DHs on his "off" days, that would be incredible.

I would absolutely like to acquire Miller, but the best player I'm trading for him is probably Kjerstad. If they want someone else in the deal, depending on who that is I'm not necessarily opposed to it.

6 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

It’s upsetting to me really. Either they are knee jerk reaction types or they have no concept of what they have. I’m not sure which is worse, but it’s upsetting all the same.

No knee jerk reaction here. Nor do I not appreciate the value/talent of Basallo.

I am not saying that the trade is a no brainer. I would prefer to give up less for Miller if possible. But I am not going to pretend like it's not a serious discussion worth having.

Having Miller this season makes us odds on World Series favorites. Having Miller next season WITH Bautista makes us odds on World Series favorites. Meanwhile, our offense will be elite with or without Basallo both now and in the future.

I am sorry if this is upsetting that this is a serious thing to consider. The present now matters just as much as the future because championships are the goal now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

We still need a backup C and if that backup C mashes like a first baseman and plays first base or DHs on his "off" days, that would be incredible.

I would absolutely like to acquire Miller, but the best player I'm trading for him is probably Kjerstad. If they want someone else in the deal, depending on who that is I'm not necessarily opposed to it.

With all the position player talent within the org, there is going to be no place for him at 1B. You have Moutncastle, Kjerstad, Mayo all in front of Basallo once he arrives. And because we have and will have so many guys now, DH will likely not be possible with those 4 all occupying the same roster. Unless you want to bench Westburg because you think Mayo is a better 3B? Or move Westburg to 2B and do what with Holliday?

I like Miller alot but as others have pointed out he's already an injury risk and they didn't even mention his health struggles in those posts. Kevin Brown did a whole monologue on air about what Miller had to overcome to be able to continue to play baseball.

Even if that weren't the case, as others have pointed out, he's the type of pitcher that can only pitch 1 out of 3 games because of his intensity and workload. 

Compare that to having a guy like Yordan Alvarez (which is exactly who Bassalo has been compared to) who can give you 400 plate appearances a season and 30+ home runs each year.

I'd take Alvarez/Basallo and I don't care who the reliever is or how abundant our farm system is. I'm not discounting valuable assets for less than their worth. If another team wants them, they're going to have to match up the value no matter how much abundance our organization has. Positional depth isn't a good reason to give away assets at a discount.

Now let's imagine that something would happen to Adley in a few sesson where he went on the IL. Then how valuable does Basallo become to the Orioles? 

Basallo is a player that can extend the window of Orioles consecutive winning seasons. He’s one of those keys to a dynasty.

Posted (edited)

It's a no from me dawg. 

I would entertain Norby + a pitcher though, if Miller is still in one piece by July. But the A's have no real reason to trade him with that much control left. 

Edited by interloper

I think Basallo if he continues to develop is safely in Tier 1, and no one that important is really crunched once Mullins/Hays attain FA, and The Ryans get too expensive in Arb.

Adley, Mayo, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, EBJ, Kjerstad and Basallo are the intended starting Bats.     That's the Peak Adley unit of 2026-2027.

Norby-Beavers are maybe the top tier marooned, but as with Ortiz that's a player level Elias has dealt from.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I like Miller alot but as others have pointed out he's already an injury risk and they didn't even mention his health struggles in those posts. Kevin Brown did a whole monologue on air about what Miller had to overcome to be able to continue to play baseball.

Even if that weren't the case, as others have pointed out, he's the type of pitcher that can only pitch 1 out of 3 games because of his intensity and workload. 

Compare that to having a guy like Yordan Alvarez (which is exactly who Bassalo has been compared to) who can give you 400 plate appearances a season and 30+ home runs each year.

I'd take Alvarez/Basallo and I don't care who the reliever is or how abundant our farm system is. I'm not discounting valuable assets for less than their worth. If another team wants them, they're going to have to match up the value no matter how much abundance our organization has. Positional depth isn't a good reason to give away assets at a discount.

Now let's imagine that something would happen to Adley in a few sesson where he went on the IL. Then how valuable does Basallo become to the Orioles? 

Basallo is a player that can extend the window of Orioles consecutive winning seasons. He’s one of those keys to a dynasty.

We are not playing for winning seasons now, we are playing for rings. If we achieve a dynasty it will likely be dependent upon retaining stars like Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday; not replacing them.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

We are not playing for winning seasons now, we are playing for rings. If we achieve a dynasty it will likely be dependent upon retaining stars like Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday; not replacing them.

Matt Weiters still rings traumatic in my mind. He had so much promise and was so good in the beginning. But like many catchers are at risk of, he got injured and fell off a proverbial cliff. He went from probably franchise catcher to has been basically overnight.

You can never have too many assets or insurance.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It boggles my mind how some people are willing to over pay and give away the entire farm for pennies on the dollar.

There are two ways to look at the idea of “overpay” the first is to consider, in a vacuum, the value of one player against the other, and I am in the school that favors the guy who plays every day. In that sense, Basallo would indeed be an overpay.

The other way is to consider need. We need, Desperately, what Miller offers. This is not the Erod trade of 6 years for twenty innings.

Basallo may have more value to us for what he can bring us now than for what he might provide in 2026, so the question is certainly worth discussion.

Mike made two incredibly useless trades last season, bringing aboard guys with a track record of mediocrity. Fuji in particular was pretty terrible for us, but he’d given no indication that he would not be terrible for us. 

trading for elite value is better than working on the fringes.

The only risk to us with Miller would be injury, but any outstanding reliever, even any mediocre reliever, in today’s environment, has the same risk of injury.

So trading less for a lesser arm wouldn’t necessarily come with lesser injury risk.

Edited by Philip