Markakis being inducted into Os HOF

Fantastic!!! The wife had Nick's jersey first - now Gunnar's. She will always hate the Yankee's Sabathia who broke his wrist and kept Nick out of playoffs. What could have been...............

• Upvote 2

Markakis - well deserved. I don’t have a ton of O’s gear, but I do have a Markakis road gray jersey that is getting worn out at this point.

Interesting to see Crowley in there, I got to see him play a few times growing up.

Terry Crowley 2.4 rWAR as a role player, on two O’s WS teams could have been three but he was with Montreal in his last season in 1983. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, I don't.  I'll let SG explain further if he feels.

I’m guessing it’s some folklore like Markakis spent his off-seasons hunting and fishing instead of working out.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You put Markakis in the title but not Terry Crowley?  Do you not understand how revered Terry Crowley is around here?

Terry Crowley's lucky he's in baseball. He got cut by the **** **** Cincinnati Reds, He got cut by the **** **** Atlanta Braves...

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can always speculate that if he'd done more hard-core workouts and training in the offseason and less hunting and fishing that he'd have done better. My own take is that injuries sapped him of the power that might have taken him from above-average guy to possible HOFer.

But I have a hard time calling one of the 500-ish best non-pitchers of all time an underachiever who could have done more.

15 years in the majors. 33 rWAR. $116M. Zero drama. He's a good guy, I really liked watching him.

Even if he's not Gold Glove caliber like Curt Blefary.

Tiger Woods is both the GOAT and an underachiever. He should have 25+ majors and 100+ wins. 

You can be really good and still fall short of what you should be.

Nick should have competed for batting titles.  His OBP should have been more 380+ OBP guy vs 350+.  He loved the game but didn’t seem to eat, breath and sleep it.  Nothing wrong with that. Just think had he had that attitude, he would have been even better.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Orange said:

Congrats Ninck!

All time leader in fielding percentage among MLB right fielders. 

I think it's more impressive that he's 8th in games played in RF. The seven ahead of him on the list are either in the Hall, or is Dwight Evans, who should be.

Also 6th in career putouts in RF. 36th in assists, which tends to be biased towards players from 100+ years ago who could play shallower.

• Upvote 2

I'll never forget Markakis coming to Bowie when Hayden Penn was the star player of that time.

The two of them doing pregame sprints, then walking back toward the stands. 

It was this huge contrast between a guy who was so obviously a Major Leaguer, and a guy who couldn't get his head out of his a$$.  They difference in the way they carried themselves, side-by-side, is something I'll never forget. 

Will also never forget meeting his Aunt from NJ in the ladies room one of his first ML callup games; we were both wearing Markakis jerseys, and that was rare because no one knew about minor leaguers back then.  She ended up giving me a handful of his rookie cards from various teams, and we cheered for him from the same section all game long.  I sooooo couldn't stand that Jay Gibbons was still in LF while Nick sat on the bench. 

He was everything I hoped he'd be, and more.  Really well deserved. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it's more impressive that he's 8th in games played in RF. The seven ahead of him on the list are either in the Hall, or is Dwight Evans, who should be.

Also 6th in career putouts in RF. 36th in assists, which tends to be biased towards players from 100+ years ago who could play shallower.

Just a bunch of stats that we give no credence to during a season but when you see stats like that, you really see how nice his career was.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tiger Woods is both the GOAT and an underachiever. He should have 25+ majors and 100+ wins. 

You can be really good and still fall short of what you should be.

Nick should have competed for batting titles.  His OBP should have been more 380+ OBP guy vs 350+.  

Yea, but in should-have world Luis Hernandez is still the O's shortstop with 18 Gold Gloves.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, justD said:

I'll never forget Markakis coming to Bowie when Hayden Penn was the star player of that time.

The two of them doing pregame sprints, then walking back toward the stands. 

It was this huge contrast between a guy who was so obviously a Major Leaguer, and a guy who couldn't get his head out of his a$$.  They difference in the way they carried themselves, side-by-side, is something I'll never forget. 

Will also never forget meeting his Aunt from NJ in the ladies room one of his first ML callup games; we were both wearing Markakis jerseys, and that was rare because no one knew about minor leaguers back then.  She ended up giving me a handful of his rookie cards from various teams, and we cheered for him from the same section all game long.  I sooooo couldn't stand that Jay Gibbons was still in LF while Nick sat on the bench. 

He was everything I hoped he'd be, and more.  Really well deserved. 

We all knew Hayden Penn wasn't a major leaguer on draft day, reading that name. Seriously, what kind of baseball name is Hayden Penn?

When did Nick sit the bench while Jay Gibbons played? They were only teammates in 2006-07, and Nick played 308 of 324 possible games those two years.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Haha 1