Markakis being inducted into Os HOF

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

And that's okay.

Maybe I’m wrong.  I posted that before he called Tiger Woods an underachiever!   LOL

Watch out Mike Trout. You’re next.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just a bunch of stats that we give no credence to during a season but when you see stats like that, you really see how nice his career was.

2012 sticks out in my mind because he got hurt and missed the playoffs. But he was exceptionally healthy and played almost every day for 15 years. He's one of only 23 players who had 11 more seasons of 650 PAs.

And tied for 6th all time with 11 seasons of at least 154 games played. That list is Rose, Cal, Raffy, Eddie, Billy Williams, and then some guys tied with Nick, including Pujols, Ichiro, Brooks, Miguel Tejada, Gehrig, and Garvey.

I hate those "six Hall of Famers and some guy" lists, but if you set your mind to it you could put Nick on a lot of those.

Posted (edited)

I have never heard anyone call Tiger Woods an underachiever. Injury-prone, sure. Made some poor decisions, yep. But hasn't the guy basically been working at his game since he was 5? It's the injuries that screwed him. He could have given up a long time ago, but he keeps trying to come back. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We all knew Hayden Penn wasn't a major leaguer on draft day, reading that name. Seriously, what kind of baseball name is Hayden Penn?

When did Nick sit the bench while Jay Gibbons played? They were only teammates in 2006-07, and Nick played 308 of 324 possible games those two years.

Perhaps it was that game.  It was definitely that season.

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We all knew Hayden Penn wasn't a major leaguer on draft day, reading that name. Seriously, what kind of baseball name is Hayden Penn?

When did Nick sit the bench while Jay Gibbons played? They were only teammates in 2006-07, and Nick played 308 of 324 possible games those two years.

Also, probably should've said "premier attention-getter" rather than "star player"

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have never heard anyone call Tiger Woods an underachiever. Injury-prone, sure. Made some poor decisions, yep. But hasn't the guy basically been working at his game since he was 5? It's the injuries that screwed him. He could have given up a long time ago, but he keeps trying to come back. 

If he and his Dad actually cared about winning at golf he would have been out there at 2am hitting buckets of balls at the age of 3, instead of the 4am and age 4 that actually happened.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, injuries are the reason he “underachieved” but it doesn’t change the idea that he did in fact, underachieve.

He did not achieve nearly what he should have.

Griffey Jr could be in that category too.

I still think if Nick hadn't been hit by C.C. Sabathia and broke his bone , he would have had a greater post season career. But as far as I'm concerned , this play, which I saw in person, was among the greatest defensive plays I ever saw for a RF. It saved the game against the Rays in Tampa to open the season in 2011.

Nic

k  Markakis

• Upvote 4

Well deserved. I would have liked to have seen him finish his whole career Baltimore, but mostly have seen him be able to play in the 2012 playoffs.

I also appreciate that because of him I know what a kinkajou is.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure, injuries are the reason he “underachieved” but it doesn’t change the idea that he did in fact, underachieve.

He did not achieve nearly what he should have.

Griffey Jr could be in that category too.

I understand your argument, but I think your word choice of "underachieved" isn't helping.

When it comes to a guy like Tiger, it's hard to call that guy an underachiever, especially when his work ethic is known and undeniable.  The guy can barely walk and he's still out there trying...that's not an underachiever.

Underachieving, IMO (and I think what a lot of people think of when they hear the word) is when someone doesn't live up to to their potential, or work hard to maximize their potential...outside of being injured.  

Plenty of things can de-rail a career, I don't think that means that individual is an underachiever.  I don't think Griffey is an underachiever, I don't think Trout is, either.  I just think they haven't had the careers they might have had if they were able to stay healthy.

When debating these things, it's helpful to have a definition of which to work with.  So while I agree with you that guys like Tiger, Trout, Griffey and others haven't had the careers they were supposed to have, that doesn't mean they were underachievers.  They just got de-railed...now some of that was their own doing, some of that is just the tolls of playing their sports.  

I'm not sure if there are any hunters here, but it can be a pretty demanding full-body workout. I suspect Markakis wasn't sitting in a tree stand. I walk miles in rough terrain, good times.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If he and his Dad actually cared about winning at golf he would have been out there at 2am hitting buckets of balls at the age of 3, instead of the 4am and age 4 that actually happened.

LOL.  Technically, he underachieved because of injury but I think most people equate underachiever with a lack of effort.