Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

I was looking for them and didn't see them, my apologies.

When I meant see the errors, I meant see them in the box score and reading the commentary for the minor league games. Neither BA or BP is high on him at 1B.

As far as Snyder goes, an .848 OPS while an improvement is not spectacular for a 22 year old in A ball. He still strikes out too often and just doesn't get on base enough to compensate for his lack of power.

I see him as an .750-.800 hitter in the majors, maybe .825 tops...

Snyder was 21 last year, not 22. Same age as Nick (.859 OPS at Frederick) Markakis. His K rate is not really an issue at all, IMO.

Wieters K rate at Frederick: 1 per 4.87 AB

Snyder K rate at Frederick: 1 per 5.24 AB

Wieters K rate in the AFL: 1 per 4.63 AB

Snyder K rate in the AFL: 1 per 7.00 AB

I'd say Snyder's doing fine in that department. He needs to walk a bit more but again he is progressing well in that department.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking for them and didn't see them, my apologies.

When I meant see the errors, I meant see them in the box score and reading the commentary for the minor league games. Neither BA or BP is high on him at 1B.

As far as Snyder goes, an .848 OPS while an improvement is not spectacular for a 21 year old in A ball. He still strikes out too often and just doesn't get on base enough to compensate for his lack of power.

I see him as an .750-.800 hitter in the majors, maybe .825 tops...

It doesn't have to be "spectacular" when he's in his first full healthy season in two years, plus is trying to switch from catcher to some infield position (third or first).

I agree that he strikes out too often, but he seems to be getting better at that. Plus he's getting a LOT of doubles.

At the same age at the same level, Nick Markakis had a .859 OPS, 25 doubles and 12 home runs in 350 ABs.

So he had a bit more home run power, but most expect him to end up a 30-homer guy at this level. He also had better plate discipline, of course.

If Snyder can keep reducing the strikeouts and turns some of those doubles into homers, why can't he be a 20-plus HR, .850 OPS guy?

Nice effort here Frobby, holding up the Brandon Snyder offensive potential banner. We go over many 1B here for the Os to trade for, but my assumption is that there is much less difference than many of those 1b and Snyder than many realize.

Snyder was NOT on a list of the top 1B in the minors by BA last issue or so, but his 1000+ OPS over the last two months of last season should be a signal of what he is capable of. He outperformed some of the higher rated 1B in the AFL.

If Snyder picks up where he left off in July and Aug of last season and the AFL, it is not unreasonable to assume he would put up an OPS north of 900 along with the best K/AB and BB/K rates of his career. If he did put up such stats, IMO, he would be rated among the top 10 1B prospects in baseball entering 2010.

Nice effort here Frobby, holding up the Brandon Snyder offensive potential banner. We go over many 1B here for the Os to trade for, but my assumption is that there is much less difference than many of those 1b and Snyder than many realize.

Snyder was NOT on a list of the top 1B in the minors by BA last issue or so, but his 1000+ OPS over the last two months of last season should be a signal of what he is capable of. He outperformed some of the higher rated 1B in the AFL.

If Snyder picks up where he left off in July and Aug of last season and the AFL, it is not unreasonable to assume he would put up an OPS north of 900 along with the best K/AB and BB/K rates of his career. If he did put up such stats, IMO, he would be rated among the top 10 1B prospects in baseball entering 2010.

...though he likely wouldn't be there long since he'd be our Opening Day starter at some position...

Since I'm stuck at work drafting Servicing Agreements and Transfer and Assignment Agreements, and because I like Brandon Snyder and the love he's [finally] getting by this community on the whole, I thought I'd give some shine to those who have been calling his 2010 debut for some time:

August hypothetical hints at Snyder in 2010

Bold September prediction!

Gotta say you're consistent

You, sirs, are gentlemen and scholars! Keep up the good work -- no matter what the naysayers throw at you.

Since I'm stuck at work drafting Servicing Agreements and Transfer and Assignment Agreements, and because I like Brandon Snyder and the love he's [finally] getting by this community on the whole, I thought I'd give some shine to those who have been calling his 2010 debut for some time:

You, sirs, are gentlemen and scholars! Keep up the good work -- no matter what the naysayers throw at you.

The 3 of you were really going out on a limb there - predicting Snyder might be ready at some point in 2010. :eektf:

I'm skeptical that a guy whose four-year professional peak is 13 home runs in A ball could be the solution at first in 2010 or any time thereafter. One can always hope, but they shouldn't hang their hat on that particular hook.

The Orioles should be looking elsewhere for a young hitting prospect with some power potential-that is-unless they can draft someone this year who will move quickly.If Snyder does develop, all the better. Maybe put him on third. But don't count on anything.

I'm not very high on Snyder; I feel like he's Jim Loney's downside - contact-oriented guy with med-to-low power and weak on-base skills. A guy who could put up some .280/.330/.450 lines, which is pretty meh for a 1B with bleh defense.

However, I also am not ruling out the possibility of a power/walk rate spike and significant improvement.

I'm right there with ya buddy

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1638812&postcount=1

Huff will probably see a drop in his OPS by a good .50 pts. And I don't think it is in the plans to resign him for 3 years, which is probably what he will want. I do see Brandon Snyder making a big statement in Bowie though. Best case scenario, he's starting as a 23-year old 1B in 2010.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1579680&postcount=588

I see you, Ty. I was only half serious with the self praise, but I do think a lot of posters weren't open enough to the idea of Snyder progressing quickly. Really, there were signs as early as the 2008 HWB league indicating he was healthy and back on track. Anyway, good call with Snyder -- you've got your head on straight w/r/t prospects (so long as your views fall in line with mine ;):P)

Know who else put up an .850 OPS at hi A ball as a 21 year old?

This fave of the Trea's.

He also had a better OBP, more HRs in fewer ABs and fewer K's than Snyder. Evans is a much better 1B prospect as his defense is also above average at 1B.

Yeah, we were. It's all good, though -- sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss.

I don't know. I could still see 2010. Starting in AA this year, if he has another good offensive year, could earn him a late season AAA stint. More than likely the entire year at Bowie, starts next year at AAA, and comes up in an injury replacement situation.

Archived