Are we actually 27-14 with the highest runs/game in the AL?

Frobby

I think some of you are kind of making my point.  It’s like the April offense was an illusion but the May offense is reality.  The truth is, neither is reality.  The combined numbers are much closer to the truth.  The players who are slumping won’t stay in slumps forever (at least, most of them won’t).  Guys will get hot, other guys will get cold.  There be down times for the pitching, too.  But so long as the team keeps finding ways to win, I’m happy.  

Meh it's called being a baseball fan.

We're never satisfied unless we're in the moment of victory. We know better than Hyde. We know better than Elias. Every loss feels oppressive and we're getting to the point that we expect wins. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s definitely a negative tone. Twitter is even worse and yes, people lack perspective.

I will say this though…the team’s back for the pen and lack of walks/OBP are real concerns and you will not win in October without improvements in those areas.

I think that's the thing is the expectations are World Series. So you start to look at October and it becomes clear that the team as constructed, and how they look right now, does not really seem like a true WS contender. 

Yes I'm being a little overly salty at the moment. But the negative tone is due to expectations and looking towards the team's chances in October IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think some of you are kind of making my point.  It’s like the April offense was an illusion but the May offense is reality.  The truth is, neither is reality.  The combined numbers are much closer to the truth.  The players who are slumping won’t stay in slumps forever (at least, most of them won’t).  Guys will get hot, other guys will get cold.  There be down times for the pitching, too.  But so long as the team keeps finding ways to win, I’m happy.  

It’s a developing situation.  Yes!

• Haha 1

Don't tell me how to be a fan!!!! /s

When has this board ever been positive? I think it's the nature of the platform, it attracts people who want to vent their complaints and frustrations. Often they are valid and I still learn from it. 

Reminds me of listening to WFAN when I lived in NYC. The Yanks could be in first place but if they lose a game or two it would be nonstop rants at the manager or a slumping player. We're not that bad but it is the nature of the beast.

With our current recored, 90% playoff odds, core of amazing talent and pipeline with more, and new ownership, this is a great time to be an O's fan. I do think most everyone here understands that but it is easy to take for granted.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I agree that things turned extremely negative around here when Tony banned me for a week.

I think I saw some positive comments regarding that.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Os are 22nd in MLB in team OBP. They were 17th in April.

Yes they scored runs in April but you don’t expect that to keep up to the level they were doing it with a poor team OBP like that.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Don't tell me how to be a fan!!!! /s

When has this board ever been positive? I think it's the nature of the platform, it attracts people who want to vent their complaints and frustrations. Often they are valid and I still learn from it. 

Reminds me of listening to WFAN when I lived in NYC. The Yanks could be in first place but if they lose a game or two it would be nonstop rants at the manager or a slumping player. We're not that bad but it is the nature of the beast.

With our current recored, 90% playoff odds, core of amazing talent and pipeline with more, and new ownership, this is a great time to be an O's fan. I do think most everyone here understands that but it is easy to take for granted.

It’s pretty amazing how quickly fans can get spoiled.  Soon people will be comparing us to Yankees and Red Sox fans.  

I think it's a bit of both here. On the one hand, they're on pace for over 100 wins with really a lot of stuff not going great. On the other hand, a lot of things haven't gone right. People can view it both ways and still be happy with the results but have some apprehension about the future of the season.

Biggest concerns...can Cowser make the necessary adjustments after an excellent start? Mullins and Santander have track records much better than what they've shown so far. When will they get it going? Will Hays be able to step in and give Cowser or Mullins a day off and provide some production? 

The starting pitching even with a copious amount of injuries has to be seen as exceeding expectations. The BP, that's a bit of a question Mark at the moment. 

On top of the good and bad, NY is showing early on that they're going to be stiff competition in the East. And I think most of us expect them to do whatever is needed to add to their team at the deadline. All in all though, there's more positives than negatives but I'm guilty of being a pessimist for sure.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty amazing how quickly fans can get spoiled.  Soon people will be comparing us to Yankees and Red Sox fans.  

This kind of opinion bugs me. It implies that people are negative for the sake of being negative. No. Some fans are critical based on clear stat trends and worrying about how to keep up this win pace if the April offense was a mirage. The fact is, we don't know yet. But there's plenty to be critical about. 

No one here is just blasting the team indiscriminately as if we are dime-a-dozen internet rage commenters. No one here sounds like a spoiled Yankees fan. Some of us have valid concerns. Doesn't mean we won't trend positive again. That's baseball. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just wait.  If the Orioles don’t make a deep run in the playoffs (unlike others I don’t consider making the playoffs a lock) half the board will want a new manager and floating the idea that Elias is a builder but not a closer and it might be time for a change.

Edited by RZNJ

The complaints about the offense are a bit puzzling to me.

Every team, every year, goes through periods where the offense isn't humming.  This should surprise no one.  I'm not really getting the doom and gloom.  We haven't lost a series since Kimbrel blew 2 against the A's.  3 weeks ago.