Felix Bautista 2024 (Monitoring his injury rehab)

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ummm…is this gonna happen?

Looks to me like he's throwing 1/2 speed off of a 1/2 mound. Not sure how quickly a reliever can go from that to game-ready playing shape and velo. Anyone with any guesses how many weeks he is from a rehab assignment? Still feels doubtful to me.

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Looks to me like he's throwing 1/2 speed off of a 1/2 mound. Not sure how quickly a reliever can go from that to game-ready playing shape and velo. Anyone with any guesses how many weeks he is from a rehab assignment? Still feels doubtful to me.

If he can go on a rehab assigning in 4ish weeks, that gives him enough time to get some Ml time in at the end of the season and see if he can be on a playoff roster.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Getting Bautista back for the playoffs would be awesome.  That said, I'm not sure we've learned our lesson from getting guys back quickly from TJ surgery and treatments, it seems.  

Who did they get back early?  What lesson should have been learned?

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he can go on a rehab assigning in 4ish weeks, that gives him enough time to get some Ml time in at the end of the season and see if he can be on a playoff roster.

I don't discount what you're saying, but these guys are pitchers and throw off of mounds all the time.  Is it crazy to think that maybe we keep it under wraps with a simulated game at most, if the minor league season has ended?  

My thinking is, what does it matter if he tries to ramp it up a bit in early October, versus what he would already be doing anyway?

An indoor mound versus a MLB pitching mound?  

14 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'd say there's like a 10% chance he's pitching this year.

The problem right now is he's not on a mound and he's only throwing at partial speed. Let's say if he throws every couple days, he's probably weeks away from throwing at full speed. And even throwing at full speed he needs to work up his pitch count. And throw all of his pitches. My guess is anything rehab related isn't until mid September.

I'd say there's little to no chance he throws during the regular season (in MLB). Maybe there's a chance in the playoffs if the O's somehow make them. 

The other night they showed Otahni doing the same that's being described and said maybe he'd be in the bullpen for the playoffs.  99% sure he's months behind Felix, right?   Assume they weren't just trying to be funny when they said it so it makes you wonder if this might actually be viable.  

Edited by OrioleintheATL

13 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

The other night they showed Otahni doing the same that's being described and said maybe he'd be in the bullpen for the playoffs.  99% sure he's months behind Felix, right?   Assume they weren't just trying to be funny when they said it so it makes you wonder if this might actually be viable.  

Shohei Otahni is not human. We should not compare humans to aliens.

11 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

How would being in the bullpen work for Ohtani if he's in the dugout waiting for his turn to hit? Don't mean to derail, but curious...

8 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

How would being in the bullpen work for Ohtani if he's in the dugout waiting for his turn to hit? Don't mean to derail, but curious...

You'd have to ask the people who played baseball for a living and/or are experts on it "how", not me.  I didn't say it.  But I'm sure it could be figured out with a sundial and abacus.  Oh......and a desire and drive to do it.   That is what winners do.

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

If this were the first day of Spring Training would you think that he would be ready for Opening Day?  Not just you, to anyone.  Two months is a long time if he's already doing this much.  

The team answer is always going to be that he's out, until he's not.