Baumann traded for Blake Hunt

Birds08

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This also sets up the inevitable Baumann shutdown inning with electric stuff vs. his former team for a crucial inning in October.

Both Seattle and Baltimore will have interesting choices if they have to plan for a 3-game ALWC series and what you do with the #3 starter.

Last year the Blue Jays irritated some of their top pitchers by doing a preplanned Jose Berrios-Yusei Kikuchi tandem in Game 2.

Baumann's one shining moment maybe occurs in the winner take all game 3 when all the Cy Young candidates have been used up splitting the first two days.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Couldn’t have expected more than this in a trade. Catching depth is so thin in baseball. He’s already in AAA. He’s probably in the top 30 catching prospects in all the minors. Probably top 10 in AAA.

OPS vs LHP SSS

2024 - 1.078 in 29 AB

2023 - .777 in 36 AB

2022 - .736 in 76 AB

3 options remaining. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And we may still get a chance to get Baumann back when Seattle eventually DFA's him! :D

Solid return that give the Orioles some upper level catching depth.

@Tony-OH where would you slot Hunt in on our top 30 prospect list?  MLB pipeline has him at a 40 overall grade. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH where would you slot Hunt in on our top 30 prospect list?  MLB pipeline has him at a 40 overall grade. 

I'll probably add him to the players to keep an eye on right now. He doesn't throw particularly well so there is some question on whether he can be an effective backup. Seems to have some ability to hit though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I guess this wraps up the saga on why he was DFA'd instead of Perez.  Perez has zero trade value. They were able to move and asset and acquire another one instead of just losing an asset.  Pretty solid move even if Hunt doesn't turn in to anything.  I sure was wrong about others wanting him.  Big arms are hard to pass up.  I still don't think he will do much, but best of luck to Baumann in his career.  

Edited by emmett16

See, if we had optioned Akin to buy some more time, we'd still have Baumann for the Means IL, and we could bring back Akin early due to the injury. 

It's hindsight, of course, but I thought it was odd that Elias would make that move now instead of doing his usual thing of delaying decisions as long as possible, and keeping as many guys as possible. The reason you do that is because of situations exactly like this. 

Who are we bringing up for Means? Vespi? Heasley? You can't tell me either of those guys are better than Baumann. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

See, if we had optioned Akin to buy some more time, we'd still have Baumann for the Means IL, and we could bring back Akin early due to the injury. 

It's hindsight, of course, but I thought it was odd that Elias would make that move now instead of doing his usual thing of delaying decisions as long as possible, and keeping as many guys as possible. The reason you do that is because of situations exactly like this. 

Who are we bringing up for Means? Vespi? Heasley? You can't tell me either of those guys are better than Baumann. 

I think I’d rather have this catcher plus the advantages we’d get from optionable pieces on the Norfolk shuttle. 

Edited by sportsfan8703