Thursday, May 23: Orioles at White Sox

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

There is a brief replay clip now on MLB.com, and...I got nothing.  No idea why interference was called.  It looked to me like Vaughn was just heading back to 2B.  Maybe he bumped into Henderson, but it was clearly inconsequential contact.  

It looked like Vaughn was looking at the bag while casually walking back to it.  He did nothing to purposefully interfere Gunnar's path catch the ball, other than Gunnar sort of brushed by Vaughn.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Had to watch the White Sox telecast because I'm in that market. They showed lots of replays.

Gunnar was playing up the middle. As he was coming in to catch the ball, Vaughn was walking back to 2nd and kind of got in Gunnar's way. Gunnar side stepped towards 3rd and went around him. As he was going around him, he brushed Vaughn a little.

I'm not sure how the rules make this 3 outs, but Vaughn is guilty of interference. I thought the interference makes it a deadball, but I guess not. The infield fly rule is not a deadball. Runners are allowed to advance at their own peril.

Lots of comments from the White Sox announcers. Even right now in their post game show talking about how bad this call was. I would think they would have someone explain the rules to them.

I think the umps followed the rules and it's just unfortunate for the White Sox.

Thanks, that makes sense. Great job by MASN to provide zero explanation lol

• Haha 1

Ozzie Quillen just said in the White Sox postgame show that they should poison the umpiress food tomorrow so that they can't umpire the game tomorrow.

I can't make this up. I rewound it to make sure that's what he said.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

You want to blame a the bullpen for a game when they should have only had to pitch 2 innings. Grayson stunk.

So we are arguing about who to blame for a win?

Just now, Yossarian said:

I've never seen that called. 

It reminded me of the trivia question:

How can you get credited for an unadjusted triple play without touching the ball?

Unassisted, that should say

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Are you sure the GI wasn't just from Heasley pitching?

It can be vulnerable at times.  This was one of these times and he just pushed me over the edge.

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Had to watch the White Sox telecast because I'm in that market. They showed lots of replays.

Gunnar was playing up the middle. As he was coming in to catch the ball, Vaughn was walking back to 2nd and kind of got in Gunnar's way. Gunnar side stepped towards 3rd and went around him. As he was going around him, he brushed Vaughn a little.

I'm not sure how the rules make this 3 outs, but Vaughn is guilty of interference. I thought the interference makes it a deadball, but I guess not. The infield fly rule is not a deadball. Runners are allowed to advance at their own peril.

Lots of comments from the White Sox announcers. Even right now in their post game show talking about how bad this call was. I would think they would have someone explain the rules to them.

I think the umps followed the rules and it's just unfortunate for the White Sox.

Is interference not, at some level, a judgement call?

Posted (edited)

Vaughn was clearly in the way of Gunnar as Gunnar was running in.  The runner can’t do anything to hinder a fielder that’s attempting to field a ball and Gunnar’s run toward the ball was impeded.

Edited by LarryHarlow
typo
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm almost ashamed to win a game that way.   We've been the victim of some terrible ball-strike calls this year, but this is another level of umpire misconduct.  

I wouldn't be upset at all if the league office overruled the call and had the teams play the final out tomorrow.  Won't happen, but honestly it should.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Why can't the O's attempt to fix our bullpen especially when there are RP's available on the waiver wire?  Elias needs to take action instead of doing nothing.

What do they need to fix?  They brought up Heasley today and he choked with a 6 run lead.  It happens.  He will probably be replaced.  Cano got a hold and Kimbrel got the save.  The Orioles are 30-18.  They were in a hitting slump but a few good pitchers in there got them.  The other team is trying too.  The St Louis Cardinals are 3 game under 500 but hardly a trash team.  If you ever watched a baseball season before there are ups and downs.