Sunday Afternoon May 26th: Orioles at White Sox going for the four game sweep. (Start of game to be delayed by rain)

Funny the history of the word retarded is a 1950's version of PC.  It was to make people not use words like moron or idiot.  Then real life happened and kids in the 50's through the 80's used it any way they wanted.   And now the new PC crowd says retarded isnt the proper word.  But in ten years whatever PC word they come up with to say instead will the new "bad" word.  

And the word police continue on.  Fearless and brave. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Gurgi said:

Funny the history of the word retarded is a 1950's version of PC.  It was to make people not use words like moron or idiot.  Then real life happened and kids in the 50's through the 80's used it any way they wanted.   And now the new PC crowd says retarded isnt the proper word.  But in ten years whatever PC word they come up with to say instead will the new "bad" word.  

And this has what to do with today's game?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I assume something prompted this post?

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I'm fine with not using the word in that context, whatever, not an issue.  There are always more words.

What bothers me is that the word retard has meanings outside that context and folks get up in arms when you use it in such a manner.

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I like you and your posts, but respectfully, I disagree. Words shift in meaning--as do cultural norms. I think it's respectful to not use words that folks who have family members with developmental disabilities may find offensive. Just my two cents. Last thing I'll say on it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with not using the word in that context, whatever, not an issue.  There are always more words.

What bothers me is that the word retard has meanings outside that context and folks get up in arms when you use it in such a manner.

Eh, DirtyBird doesn't exactly have a vast vocabulary, he struggles to articulate himself like a grownup and when you can't think of better word choices, you just throw one of 10 words you do know, no matter what.

• Haha 2