The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I see Elias going to find some under-valued/less-sexy SP because otherwise teams will take him right to the wire trying to pry Mayo or Basallo from him. And we don't really have time for that. 

Teams other than CWS and MIA are probably not selling right now. The NL is so bad that only the Rockies and Marlins are more than 1.5 games back of a WC berth right now. I doubt we know anything about who is selling until mid-July. 

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t understand why anyone would want to give up high end assets for Crochet. 

To me it’s a dogmatic obsession with winning a WS this year under any circumstances despite all evidence this is misguided.

IMO we should be upgrading the bullpen and bring up Mayo. That will have the biggest effect on this team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Teams other than CWS and MIA are probably not selling right now. The NL is so bad that only the Rockies and Marlins are more than 1.5 games back of a WC berth right now. I doubt we know anything about who is selling until mid-July. 

No doubt. 

If we didn't already have similar guys in Irvin and Povich, I would say that JP Sears is a logical target for an innings eater lefty type. Maybe he still is if they'd rather keep Povich as depth in AAA since he's relatively untested. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Yep..go get Nardi now. He’s a great target and makes a ton of sense for us.

17 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Exactly. 

Because he's one of the best pitchers in the league,  has fantastic walk:strikeout  numbers, is 24/25 and has 2+ years of control?

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t understand why anyone would want to give up high end assets for Crochet. 

I don’t think he’s worth Holliday/Mayo/Basallo level just because of the injury/innings limit concerns, but he’s pitching this year like one of the best SP in baseball and has 2.5 years of control (which will be cheap years in arb, considering he’s gone through once at just over league min). 

The key with Crochet is he has to still be starting in the playoffs to get full value from him then. That means either you let him keep rolling and hope the innings don’t catch up, or you do load management by some combination of skipping starts, pitch count limits and/or shifting him to the pen.

I could see a team using Crochet as a RP until September and then stretching him back out before the playoffs when you have expanded rosters to help bridge the innings during the initial shorter starts. But it’d be pretty wild to see a team pay what it’s going to take for him to then immediately shelf him like that. 

36 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Looking at the numbers objectively, Irvin & Suarez have out pitched Rodon.  If you are giving points for name recognition, then sure, Rodon would be a more popular choice.

Have you taken a few minutes to check out their statcast #s?  Suarez has objectively been the better pitcher.  

Suarez has not had one single quality start this season. While I love what he has given us, he is the classic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher, which is fine, especially for the regular season as long as you have other starters (like Burnes) who can give consistent length.

The problem with that for the post season is that forces your middle relievers into the game against teams with the best offenses. I’m not confident that the odds are necessarily stacked in our favor in some of those matchups.

But hey you never know, Akin sure surprised me on Friday with a stellar outing.

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I don’t think he’s worth Holliday/Mayo/Basallo level just because of the injury/innings limit concerns, but he’s pitching this year like one of the best SP in baseball and has 2.5 years of control (which will be cheap years in arb, considering he’s gone through once at just over league min). 

The key with Crochet is he has to still be starting in the playoffs to get full value from him then. That means either you let him keep rolling and hope the innings don’t catch up, or you do load management by some combination of skipping starts, pitch count limits and/or shifting him to the pen.

I could see a team using Crochet as a RP until September and then stretching him back out before the playoffs when you have expanded rosters to help bridge the innings during the initial shorter starts. But it’d be pretty wild to see a team pay what it’s going to take for him to then immediately shelf him like that. 

The whole “the key with Crochet” is exactly why trading for him makes no sense.

On top of that, how does he bounce back next year after throwing so many more innings than he ever has?

Im not questioning his talent, his upside, age, service time or anything.  It’s all on the side of the team that has him.

But they are going to want multiple top 50 type prospects for a guy with ace potential and a lot of service time.  His name shouldn’t even be mentioned imo.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Suarez has not had one single quality start this season. While I love what he has given us, he is the classic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher, which is fine, especially for the regular season as long as you have other starters (like Burnes) who can give consistent length.

The problem with that for the post season is that forces your middle relievers into the game against teams with the best offenses. I’m not confident that the odds are necessarily stacked in our favor in some of those matchups.

Do you actually watch the MLB postseason?  Most teams get their starters out by the 6th inning.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Which one you want pitching 5 innings for you?  Playoff games starter will typically go 5.  Maybe 6. 

IMG_3403.png

IMG_3404.png

Edited by emmett16

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole “the key with Crochet” is exactly why trading for him makes no sense.

On top of that, how does he bounce back next year after throwing so many more innings than he ever has?

Im not questioning his talent, his upside, age, service time or anything.  It’s all on the side of the team that has him.

But they are going to want multiple top 50 type prospects for a guy with ace potential and a lot of service time.  His name shouldn’t even be mentioned imo.

It all depends on the price, they are going to want multiple top 50 prospects but I’m not sure they get that. I think they’ll get offers of 1 top 50 plus other pieces around top 100. We can’t know what the White Sox will do, but it’s similar to Cease - hard for his value to go up while his service time goes down + risk of injury.

For the Orioles it’s pretty easy, Kjerstad is the only top 50 prospect that should be on the table. If the White Sox won’t trade him without getting one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo then it’s an easy no. But if it’s Kjerstad + lesser prospects, then I’m listening. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It all depends on the price, they are going to want multiple top 50 prospects but I’m not sure they get that. I think they’ll get offers of 1 top 50 plus other pieces around top 100. We can’t know what the White Sox will do, but it’s similar to Cease - hard for his value to go up while his service time goes down + risk of injury.

For the Orioles it’s pretty easy, Kjerstad is the only top 50 prospect that should be on the table. If the White Sox won’t trade him without getting one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo then it’s an easy no. But if it’s Kjerstad + lesser prospects, then I’m listening. 

I’d rather trade Kjerstad + for Robert if I’m dealing with the WS