The 2024 Trade Deadline

From MLB Pipeline, Jim Callis answers Q&A

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-prospects-orioles-could-deal-at-trade-deadline?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Coming up on this Trade Deadline, it seems like the Orioles are at a crossroads. If you were running the team, would you view the trio of Jackson Holliday, Samuel Basallo and Coby Mayo as untouchable? I guess I'm asking, should the Orioles say, "Our top three are untouchable, but Heston Kjerstad and below, take your pick"?

-- Will M., Richmond, Va.

All three of those guys rank in the top 15 of our gently updated Top 100: Holliday at No. 1, Basallo at No. 12 and Mayo at No. 15. My general philosophy is that no player ever should be untouchable because there's always a return that will be enticing. I wouldn't want to deal Holliday, but if the Pirates offered Paul Skenes ...

Garrett Crochet, who's leading the Majors in strikeouts for a dreadful White Sox club and comes with two additional years of team control, looks like the biggest prize of this Trade Deadline. If I were in charge of the Orioles and had to have Crochet, Holliday would be the only player I'd refuse to part with.

Baltimore already has more quality young position players than it has spots in its lineup. There's a chance that Basallo and Mayo both are best suited for first base, so I'd be willing to surrender one in a Crochet deal. The Orioles also have an abundance of outfielders, so I could include either Colton Cowser or Kjerstad.

Basallo/Mayo and Cowser/Kjerstad would be a strong foundation for a Crochet trade that other clubs would have difficulty beating. And Crochet would enhance Baltimore's already formidable chances of winning the World Series.

Edited by Say O!
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Callis' opinion is as valid as any of ours. Especially because he’s doesn't give a nod to how Elias thinks.

The Sox wanted two top 100 plus for Cease. They didn’t get close to that with #85, a RP, and 2 others. They aren’t getting anywhere close to what Callis mentioned.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Sox wanted two top 100 plus for Cease. They didn’t get close to that with #85, a RP, and 2 others. They aren’t getting anywhere close to what Callis mentioned.

The idea of Chris Getz taking this down to the deadline holding out doesn’t sound like something I want to hinge a game 3 SP on. There’s too much risk in a Crochet deal for Elias. Being the risk adverse Dude he is, I’m thinking we go the rental route and maybe trade 1-2 guys #4-#20 for us to get one of Scherzer or Kikuchi. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The idea of Chris Getz taking this down to the deadline holding out doesn’t sound like something I want to hinge a game 3 SP on. There’s too much risk in a Crochet deal for Elias. Being the risk adverse Dude he is, I’m thinking we go the rental route and maybe trade 1-2 guys #4-#20 for us to get one of Scherzer or Kikuchi. 

One of the guys on the White Sox suggested a deal that I’m going to create a thread about.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:54 PM, Greg Pappas said:

The deadline is July 30th at 6PM EST.  

Here you can post your trade ideas, trade-related articles, tweets, videos, etc..., or feel free to add your own thoughts.  

Hat tip to the OP for the valiant attempt at a consolidated thread.  Of course the closer we get to the deadline more and more anxious posters feel the need for new threads suggesting solutions.  Anyway the Dallas Morning News had a story yesterday and if the new ownership is willing to pick up some contract $$ we should be able to preserve the top of our prospect class.  The Rangers will seem to want to squeeze under the penalty number if they aren’t making the playoffs.   Eovaldi and Robertson also could provide some insurance for next year for us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/why-texas-rangers-should-be-sellers-at-trade-deadline-if-they-don-t-turn-things-around/ar-BB1px0LZ

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Hat tip to the OP for the valiant attempt at a consolidated thread.  Of course the closer we get to the deadline more and more anxious posters feel the need for new threads suggesting solutions.  Anyway the Dallas Morning News had a story yesterday and if the new ownership is willing to pick up some contract $$ we should be able to preserve the top of our prospect class.  The Rangers will seem to want to squeeze under the penalty number if they aren’t making the playoffs.   Eovaldi and Robertson also could provide some insurance for next year for us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/why-texas-rangers-should-be-sellers-at-trade-deadline-if-they-don-t-turn-things-around/ar-BB1px0LZ

Thanks. I've been thinking of starting a new thread, a 2.0 so to speak, but folks will be posting new threads quite a bit as we get nearer to the deadline.  So, I'll just leave things as they are and that's okay.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with you . I don’t think Crochet is coming to the Orioles .  If we here notice red flags on him , I’m certainly sure Elias notices them too .  Too much resources for poor risk.  Just my opinion . 

37 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I agree with you . I don’t think Crochet is coming to the Orioles .  If we here notice red flags on him , I’m certainly sure Elias notices them too .  Too much resources for poor risk.  Just my opinion . 

I certainly agree that Corchet carries a lot of risk and may be too risky of a move. But I also believe that not doing any thing of substance in a year that may be Burnes only season and while the clock continues to tick on Gunnar and Adley is very risky as well. 

I don't think that it will be a good acceptable move if Elias does another "hedge move" a minimally risky minor trade (like at last year's deadline) and it blows up in his face like last October where Flaherty was so useless that he couldn't even be given the ball in the postseason and Fujinama was kept off of the postseason roster as well. 

IMO you can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat. It will be very bad and unwise to waste another year of Adley/Gunnar "hedging".

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I certainly agree that Corchet carries a lot of risk and may be too risky of a move. But I also believe that not doing any thing of substance in a year that may be Burnes only season and while the clock continues to tick on Gunnar and Adley is very risky as well. 

I don't think that it will be a good acceptable move if Elias does another "hedge move" a minimally risky minor trade (like at last year's deadline) and it blows up in his face like last October where Flaherty was so useless that he couldn't even be given the ball in the postseason and Fujinama was kept off of the postseason roster as well. 

IMO you can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat. It will be very bad and unwise to waste another year of Adley/Gunnar "hedging".

Yes , I’m with you on the “not doing anything at this deadline while Burnes is verge of FA and service clocks of Gunnar & Adley “ is not a wise decision on Elias’s part .  My question is……….does it has be Crochet ?   I know many think he and Skubal are the best available deadline players . I think there are some talented SPs & RPs on the market .  I believe we won’t see Suki 2.0 or Flaherty 2.0 . But if happens , I will post my words here and own up to them 

3 minutes ago, lifelongbirdfan said:

This is our best hope.  Root for the Rangers to fall apart and add 3 more starters to the market (and result in less need to overpay). Lots of good options on that staff! 

While I’d prefer a younger reliever David Robertson isn’t a bad option, he’s still an effective reliever and his SO9 is the second best of his career. The Orioles could really use two relievers so maybe they get one rental and another one with at least a couple years of control.

On 6/25/2024 at 5:18 PM, RZNJ said:

Remember when @Chicago White Sox wanted no part of Joey Ortiz but was drooling over his own hypothetical ask of a deal headlined by Spencer Jones?   

Jones has 6 homers, a .702 OPS and 90 K’s in 264 PA.  In AA.

That’s weird because I only posted 50 times that I wanted Joey Ortiz as the second piece in a Cease trade.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The fit here seems almost too obvious. Veteran rentals where we’ll only have to take on a relatively small amount of money and probably won’t cost us anything particularly high-end. 

Given my choice, I’d probably lean toward Heaney and Robertson. I like the idea of adding a lefty to what it appears at the moment will be a pretty righty heavy SP group, and Heaney is in great form at the moment. And I think Robertson’s performance seems a little more sustainable than Yates’s, given their more recent track records. He’s also got a ton of playoff pitching history, so I’d have a little more trust in his ability to manage the moment.

I think the biggest mystery for me is what would Texas be seeking. The ML lineup seems pretty set, so it’s hard to envision a Norby or Stowers having value there. Maybe a “now” pitcher like Povich/McDermott plus a couple lower level/higher ceiling guys?