The 2024 Trade Deadline

31 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I like this plan and it's probably close to what Elias will do, at least in the players given up if not the players obtained.  As has been covered repeatedly, Elias is risk adverse and I think he will think it is too much,risk to take for 1 pitcher, even an ace.  I would probably do it, but I'm just a fan who wants to win really bad and haven't seen a WS winning team since I was 13.  I'm disappointed how little I remember about 1983.

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I was just shy of my 24th birthday and I remember it very well.  😀

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

It's certainly the bargain avenue, but I get the feeling - as I had last year - that some of these young guys who are on the MLB team, have been debuting, and are about to debut are not pieces the Orioles want to deal right now.  It's almost that they are still in their audition phase and the club isn't going to part with them until they know their full value.

There was an article last week posted on the board with the premise that we wanted to deal from the middle of the farm.  Hence the "Cash Considerations" aisle.  I don't follow other teams enough to know whether there are vet arms or players that are on the cusp of waivers that might be able to fill a roll.  Clearly not SP, but RP's maybe.

Anyway, it's just wondering...

I understand the sentiment, IMO it's just the wrong situation.

Teams that are this good, young, and inexpensive should not cast their lot on "cash considerations" kinds of players.

We are arguably the best team in baseball with a very legit shot at a title (first in over 40 years). The waiver wire/players who are DFA's is not the way to go this year. Even if an opportunity arises where a useful player like Aaron Hicks becomes available (like he did last year), it is doubtful that we would be high enough in the peaking order to claim such a player (given how good our record is).

I don't think you should ever shut yourself off from any avenue of talent acquisition. But I'm curious why you think "the waiver wire"/"bargain bin"/"cash considerations" is the best way to improve the team? 

How funny will it be when the Mets can't afford to buy Scherzer back for L. Acuna if they wanted, and Cohen realizes he listened to the experts and wasted 40 million?  That's probably more than what Bernie Madoff took him for.  

4 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Would Owen Murphy (hi-a Braves) + for Hays work? 

I believe it was last year's trade deadline where Elias said like "don't be surprised if we make some 'buy' trades and 'sell' trades".  Maybe this is the year he starts to deal a bit from the top of the deck?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I understand the sentiment, IMO it's just the wrong situation.

Teams that are this good, young, and inexpensive should not cast their lot on "cash considerations" kinds of players.

We are arguably the best team in baseball with a very legit shot at a title (first in over 40 years). The waiver wire/players who are DFA's is not the way to go this year. Even if an opportunity arises where a useful player like Aaron Hicks becomes available (like he did last year), it is doubtful that we would be high enough in the peaking order to claim such a player (given how good our record is).

I don't think you should ever shut yourself off from any avenue of talent acquisition. But I'm curious why you think "the waiver wire"/"bargain bin"/"cash considerations" is the best way to improve the team? 

I'm not @drjohnnyfever1 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! LOL.  Anyway, it seemed that he was saying that he feels that this may be the way the O's go, as opposed to what he personally thinks is the best way to go about things.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Would Owen Murphy (hi-a Braves) + for Hays work? 

I think Owen Murphy by himself would be a bit ambitious if he was healthy. Although FG has him as #10 in an admittedly bottom 1/3 system, he's still a 45 FV prospect and has a fairly large amount of helium. Just for reference that would put him in the same neighborhood as Beavers. Given that he just had TJS, he might be available at a discount, though If I'm the Braves I probably just wait rather than sell low. 

• Upvote 1

The Giants, 3 games under .500 today, traded Austin Slater to Cincinnati, 6 games under .500 today.

I have no idea if Ryan McKenna is doing well at AAA, but Slater's been that RH reserve OF type for a bunch of years.    He may be kind of washed by now.

Just now, Just Regular said:

The Giants, 3 games under .500 today, traded Austin Slater to Cincinnati, 6 games under .500 today.

I have no idea if Ryan McKenna is doing well at AAA, but Slater's been that RH reserve OF type for a bunch of years.    He may be kind of washed by now.

Is anyone rushing to get that type of return for Hays?  Hays is more valuable to our cause this year.