The 2024 Trade Deadline

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's coming IMO. Tons of interesting guys from the last few drafts starting to pop this year.

We don't have a pitching pipeline.  We are developing some interesting pitchers in the lower minors, including international signees, but that is far from a pipeline... in my estimation.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

We don't have a pitching pipeline.  We are developing some interesting pitchers in the lower minors, including international signees, but that is far from a pipeline... in my estimation.  

Right now despite being considered a good deep farm I think there is a drop off after the big 3. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Right now despite being considered a good deep farm I think there is a drop off after the big 3. 

You would kind of have to expect that though as the top 3 are all top 12-15 in the sport. You wouldn't expect more tiered in the top 50- 75 especially with the superstar graduations that we've had.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agreed.  The well is running dry in comparison to the 'Big Three and those that have already come up in the past couple of seasons.'  Once Holliday, Mayo and Basallo are gone, the system looks very mediocre.  Of course, that should be expected after so many guys coming up.  The hope is that the international signees will begin to make their mark (beyond Basallo) and help us get to stay within the top 10-12 farm systems in the game.  

34 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Sure, that's fair. 

• Upvote 1

I’m hoping we get a mid rotation starter and a backend reliever. Nothing sexy for the starter, but someone who can keep us in games and maybe start a playoff game and could be around next year. I’m OK with a rental for the reliever. I feel if we do it this way, it will cost less in prospect capital. 

There was a time when I wanted us to try to land the big sexy starter and plug holes for next year, but honestly, I feel like you maybe pay more at the deadline. The buttoning up of the backend of the bullpen helps us more for the World Series IMO. I’d honestly be interested in two back end arms. Here’s to hoping.  

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 2

I’m squarely in the camp of trading lower level (outside of top 5 prospects) for an expiring contract starter and reliever.  With 36% of pitchers as of last year having TJ, I’m not in favor leveraging the farm for long term investments with high risk.  I think the Ortiz trade is a perfect example of the type of trade I’m for.  I love Joey, my favorite Elias prospect, but getting Burnes is a win/win on both sides and we aren’t wed financially to Burnes after this year.  I love the guy but I sincerely hope we don’t re-up because the reward is not worth the cost given the risk, no elite pitcher is quite frankly. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

We really need to get the rotation more LH in the future. I heard a stat that since the WALL became a thing that we only have like 150 IP at by LH SP and our opponents have like 320 IP by LH SP at OPACY. 

We rank like 28th in MLB in terms of IP by LH SP at home since the WALL. 

We put up the darn wall. We should at least play to it in our home ballpark. 

Povich and DeLeon are our only two LH SP prospects. 

• Upvote 1

We should just pull off a blockbuster with the CWS and get Crochet, Fedde, Robert, and Brebbia. 

Somehow if we could keep 2/3 of the big 3 and give up much of the system for that, then we should. Fixes all of our needs. We could use Fedde to help load management Crochet. 

We get our game 2 and 4 SP. 

Fix the biggest hole in our Lineup. 

Get our RH reliever. 

Get two pieces for next year’s rotation. 

We’d have to give up a ton. Obviously. 

Holliday, Cowser, EBJ, Norby, Stowers, McDermott, Johnson, and Stiven Martinez. 

We’d really have to do Holliday, Cowser, and Basallo. 

15 hours ago, Malike said:

They got him without giving up any of their top prospects. Ortiz had no position on this team and Hall is Hall. If Burnes had 2 years of control they wouldn't have gotten him for those players, hence he wouldn't be an Oriole.

I’ve never really understood the idea that Ortiz had no place here. One of Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo have played nearly everyday this year. Ortiz is certainly an upgrade over them. Of course Burnes is brilliant and I’m good with the trade. But I don’t know why we have to act like Ortiz couldn’t have helped us. Short term, he had a role playing everyday at 2B/SS/3B. The infield production would be better with him in the fold. Beyond this year, it’s easy to see a logjam form if:

1. Mayo sticks at 3B (I think he’ll gravitate towards 1B)

2. Holliday is a stud at 2B at 20/21 years old (he wasn’t yet) 

3. everyone is healthy 

But that’s a few if’s. In my opinion, not so definitive as “he had no place here” 

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I’ve never really understood the idea that Ortiz had no place here. One of Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo have played nearly everyday this year. Ortiz is certainly an upgrade over them. Of course Burnes is brilliant and I’m good with the trade. But I don’t know why we have to act like Ortiz couldn’t have helped us. Short term, he had a role playing everyday at 2B/SS/3B. The infield production would be better with him in the fold. Beyond this year, it’s easy to see a logjam form if:

1. Mayo sticks at 3B (I think he’ll gravitate towards 1B)

2. Holliday is a stud at 2B at 20/21 years old (he wasn’t yet) 

3. everyone is healthy 

But that’s a few if’s. In my opinion, not so definitive as “he had no place here” 

And what if he got hurt or wasn’t productive when he was here?  Then his value would have been very little, especially given his age.

Long term, one of Westburg or Ortiz had to go. It made perfect sense to make the move then, especially since you felt Holliday would be up at some point this year, likely sooner than later.