The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I don't see why we would trade Hays. He is a RHB. Feels like Norby would have already replaced him by now if they wanted to go in that direction. We would already be taking some risk in replacing Mounty with Mayo so I have to think we would keep our options for RHB's. Or do you think they are trading for a RHB? 

Hays isn’t hitting again. His defense is down. I don’t see a need for him.

And yes, a trade for RH CFer I think is still possible.

A Detmers/Pillar/Estevez deal makes sense for both sides.

17 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yeah I'd love to him him. Miller's got 5 years of control after this year. His statcast info is underwhelming but the results are good.

5omm5zjk o

He’s just so bad on the road it’s bizarre. 4.9 K/9, 5.51 ERA, 5.76 FIP, 4.90 xFIP.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

vs LHP

Mullins - .381 OPS

Cowser - .672 OPS

Maybe we don't need Robert, but Pham would be nice.  The main point is that we need two SP.  That need should take precedent over 1 RP.  You can drag me in the weeds on RH CF, but that doesn't change the reality of our rotation.  Just helps you to argue/nitpick a small segment of my statement.  Unfortunately, that nitpick doesn't start games on days Burnes and Grayson don't pitch.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays isn’t hitting again. His defense is down. I don’t see a need for him.

And yes, a trade for RH CFer I think is still possible.

A Detmers/Pillar/Estevez deal makes sense for both sides.

Hays has 7 PA's in the second half. It's really hard to tell what he is or isn't doing/going to do based on such a small sample. On the season he is close to a .900 OPS vs LHP's. Pillar does make a heck of a lot of sense. They could option Hays without trading him. My operating assumption is Norby will be traded which will make RHB depth even more of a premium. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm as confident as ever.  I'll lay a bet down on us to win the WS today.  Well, and the Giants too at +18000.  

We just need to make some moves.  

What's the reason for the Luis Robert hate?  I think it's largely because people want to see an all "homegrown" lineup, and if we get Robert then that means that ain't happening.  

I want to win.  I don't care if the players were drafted by us or even earthlings.  Just win baby.  

Who cares about a homegrown lineup? Would adding Luis Robert improve the team? Of course! Will Getz have a reasonable expectation of his value? Of course not!

To me it’s a moot conversation as there is no way Elias overpays for a position player when we have such dramatic pitching needs.

Edited by casadeozo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hays has 7 PA's in the second half. It's really hard to tell what he is or isn't doing/going to do based on such a small sample. On the season he is close to a .900 OPS vs LHP's. Pillar does make a heck of a lot of sense. They could option Hays without trading him. My operating assumption is Norby will be traded which will make RHB depth even more of a premium. 

Why is the cut off the second half?  He has 34 at bats this month and has a 79 wRC+. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Why is the cut off the second half?  He has 34 at bats this month and has a 79 wRC+. 

Just an indicator of how sporadically he has played. We can't tell anything from 34 AB's either. There is also the question of who needs .700 OPS RH OF. I would be surprised (but not shocked) if he is traded.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Just an indicator of how sporadically he has played. We can't tell anything from 34 AB's either. There is also the question of who needs .700 OPS RH OF. I would be surprised (but not shocked) if he is traded.

Then send him down or release him. He provides no value. 

30 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some of why I hope Elias strongly invests in the bullpen is that the 2024 Orioles rotation is already better than the 2014 Royals rotation.

Can you even Sporcle quiz recall who they were without looking it up?

James Shields and Yordan Ventura had 123 ERA+ during the regular season, Jason Vargas 106, Jeremy Guthrie 95.     They were the only four pitchers to start games during a month long run, as one anecdote about SP5's role even 10 years ago.

I couldn't remember any of their names, but I just remember that one big corn-fed looking reliever they had that would just come in and shove.  Can't remember that dudes name either but that Royals bullpen was duck ****y tight.  

EDIT:  It just came to me.  Wade Davis.  

Edited by Moose Milligan

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No but you can tell a lot from a years worth of at bats and while he spiked back up for a little while, that’s gone.

TeaMs are desperate for offense.  He would easily be dealt. We won’t get much for him but you could trade him.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I couldn't remember any of their names, but I just remember that one big corn-fed looking reliever they had that would just come in and shove.  Can't remember that dudes name either but that Royals bullpen was duck ****y tight.  

Thinking of Holland or Herrera?

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Can we trade Hyder or whoever keeps forgetting to write Kjerstad into the lineup? This is absurd. 

Yeah zero reason Kjerstad shouldn’t be in the lineup against a RHP over either Mountcastle or Hays.

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm as confident as ever.  I'll lay a bet down on us to win the WS today.  Well, and the Giants too at +18000.  

We just need to make some moves.  

What's the reason for the Luis Robert hate?  I think it's largely because people want to see an all "homegrown" lineup, and if we get Robert then that means that ain't happening.  

I want to win.  I don't care if the players were drafted by us or even earthlings.  Just win baby.  

You're as confident as ever but you're pointing to a little skid like it's something.

I don't care about an all homegrown lineup.

Here's the reason for the Luis Robert hate.  It's been pointed out to you several times but here goes once more:  

image.png.554412cff67b6380c4379dfa05ad8c40.png

When I look at the numbers under the "G" column, I see a guy that cannot stay on the field.  He makes David Segui look like Cal Ripken.  I'm not in favor of trading anyone for a guy who's 50-50 at best to be on the field when we need him in late September/October.  

He is also a guy that has little OBP skills...you don't want that in this lineup.  There's no plate discipline there, there's no good approach.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thinking of Holland or Herrera?

Holland was nasty...I don't remember Herrera.  But it was Wade Davis.  

I think they tried him as a starter before and when he went to the bullpen he was about as good as anyone in the game for a 3 or 4 year stretch.