The 2024 Trade Deadline

I know Mayo has been getting a lot of time at 1B recently but does anyone know if Santander has been fielding there at all in warmups? I’ve gotta think he’d take some starts there if we moved Mountcastle so that Kjerstad can get more looks in RF if he stays. 

2 minutes ago, CTBear said:

I know Mayo has been getting a lot of time at 1B recently but does anyone know if Santander has been fielding there at all in warmups? I’ve gotta think he’d take some starts there if we moved Mountcastle so that Kjerstad can get more looks in RF if he stays. 

He might be, but if he is we haven't heard about it. Bit surprising maybe. He looked pretty good over there in a tiny sample. I'm sure he stays somewhat ready for an emergency. But Hyde also has Urias. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Could argue we need 2 more relievers to be honest…even if DC is coming back.

The O's probably need 2 more relievers and another #3 starter or better, but the prices are going to be outrageous.  I'm thinking that Elias just gets a backend reliever.  I hope he at least does that.  The O's gave up both their 2nd round picks in 2023 for Eflin.  The best way to find out who among your low level prospects is going to end up making it is to trade with Tampa.  Ok that's an exaggeration, but it's ok to trade in the division but try to avoid trading with Tampa and I understand why Elias did it.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think they would hold before accepting Kjerstad as the headliner. I certainly would.

But if they would?

BRB, gotta go start the "Kjerstad Appreciation Thread."

I agree with you it's unlikely the Tigers would accept an offer that excludes one of the Orioles top three prospects. They're not in a position where they're forced to trade Skubal and can trade him next offseason or just keep him.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Has to be for someone with multiple years of control. I suspect any Skubal rumors stemmed from the Os being willing to move Kjerstad as the headliner…not that he’s enough but still, I think that’s the best guy they would deal for the right player.  Maybe Mason Miller as well.

I'm surprised if Detroit would even discuss Skubal without one of the big 3 in play.  A lot of ESPN expert types had the O's trading top of our top 3 like it was nothing for Skubal.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He might be, but if he is we haven't heard about it. Bit surprising maybe. He looked pretty good over there in a tiny sample. I'm sure he stays somewhat ready for an emergency. But Hyde also has Urias. 

Yeah I don’t see Urias getting moved anymore but he looked like he was in his own head a bit Saturday still so I’m not sure how he feels about the matter. 

I don’t love losing Mounty mid season, especially with Gunnar’s recent throwing struggles, but this might be selling at a high point right now. First base is just so involved in almost every play but if I had to choose, I’m definitely keeping Mullins for CF over Mounty for 1B. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He reminds me of Delmon Young. Both with hitting and fielding. For better or worse. Haha. But he does fit the profile of the RH bat for lefties and our wall. His numbers aren’t strictly HR driven. He’s a high contact, gap to gap hitter. Versus the all or nothing try and hit the ball over the LF wall approach. 

As a cheap bat, role player, we could do alot worse. 

Gotta love the 1.100+ OPS vs LHP. 

Hello Andujar, goodbye Pache.  How much do we really need a backup CF if we are keeping Mullins.  Seems like Andujar is a bigger upgrade than Pache.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I spoke to a National League executive over the weekend who said the Orioles won’t discuss Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo or Samuel Basallo from the farm system or Colton Cowser on the major league club, and that’s an impression shared by some other front office personnel.

Sorry. You posted it. I did think the Mayo comment was interesting. 

17 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mounty's OPS would likely be higher in SEA.  It's currently higher away from OPACY.  And his expected HR total in SEA is 15.  An .800 l+ OPS is in the realm of possible.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/ryan-mountcastle-663624?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

None of that trumps GM and budgetary approach.

I definitely think that Mounty has the biggest gripe of anyone about Walltimore. Hit 33 HRs before the wall. I could see him being a good change of scenery player for someone. 

6 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Rangers trading Michael Lorenzen to KC.

We should be pestering them about Jon Gray now. He'd upgrade the #4 spot significantly over Kremer and he has another fairly cheap year of control ($13 mil).

Eflin, Gray, Grayson, and Kremer is a pretty good start for the 2025 rotation, IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Apologies if already posted

Smoke coming out the warehouse this morning..

This is one of my favorite Orioles days. Years of toil to get to this place  

To actually be in the mix, with a deep prospect pool, an owner that’s open and a GM that’s capable.

Looking forward to Eflin’s start today too. Hell, even Povich’s. 

6 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Apologies if already posted

Smoke coming out the warehouse this morning..

Given that we've heard nothing each time we've made a buy trade, I'd scratch these three names off the list, probably Fedde too.  Since, obviously the CWS would know if we were interested in him or Crochet.   So that puts us with a trade or one of Kikuchi or Anderson.