The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

They got two very talented but very young guys in Perez and Albertus.  It seems Dodgers gave up a lot in this deal.

Yeah, but the Cards didn't give up anything.  I keep waiting to hear that Beni's horrid contract was included (at least) but it doesn't seem that way.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not sad about it.  

It was funny when, despite having a historically terrible team, they still couldn't have a top 10 draft pick next year, but even as a Cub fan I'm starting to feel bad. If they botch Crochet/Roberts there's no helping them and they might be in the worst place a franchise has been in modern history. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Yeah, but the Cards didn't give up anything.  I keep waiting to hear that Beni's horrid contract was included (at least) but it doesn't seem that way.

Yeah I think the return from Dodgers is solid I just can’t figure out what the Cardinals gave up in this deal for them to get two solid major leaguers. 

• Upvote 1

Albertus and Perez actually look like interesting prospects - 19 year old middle infielders with .840+ career OPSs. Feels like that plus Vargas is not an unreasonable return for Fedde.

The head scratcher is how the Cards get Fedde and Pham while giving up only Edman. 

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

Yeah I think the return from Dodgers is solid I just can’t figure out what the Cardinals gave up in this deal for them to get two solid major leaguers. 

I can see Tommy Edman being a tricky guy to peg if he is a real MLB shortstop, just one that hasn't been on the field yet this year with an almost back prognosis.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hilarious how much WS fans think their players are worth. Their lack of knowledge on their own players and how the market works is hilarious

Fedde should headline with two top 100's or a bit higher and a bit lower. 

Glad this sort of delusion is not found on OH

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If the CWS trade Crochet, Fedde, Kopech, Robert, and Pham, they could be in the running for worst record of all time.  Just funny, that we heard so much about this when we "tanked".  Haven't heard much this season even though they are 27-81.  

The biggest difference between their suck and Baltimore's is payroll.  They're paying over $123M for this team.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You always need shuttle guys. Ideally, I would think they’d like to have 2-3 spots they can interchange between 5-6 guys. That allows them to maybe get some younger arms in there, like McDermott and the others we mentioned already.  Bautista, if he is back to his old form, Seranthony, Cano, Soto (who I think may just surprise some people), while Cionel and Akin are not sure things. Either could be moved. They should make some moves there, IMO. Cionel has not really improved as much as I had hoped. Akin has had a very good year. Are they ARB eligible this year?
    • You’re the one who threw Ripken into the discussion.  And I don’t think anyone is necessarily saying that Gunnar will be as good as Ripken.  Cal is 3rd all time in Total Zone Runs for a SS.  But, Cal also proves that you don’t judge a SS solely on how many errors they make.  The years that Cal made 26, 25 and 25 errors, he was +11, +23, +O Rtot.  And  Gunnar is playing a solid SS now by the advanced metrics.  
    • Coby's problem is not the SSS at bats, but rather his sample size on defense, both minors and majors. He has no position at this point in his career. He's a DH and not in the lineup today because AS is Dhing. Eloy is on the bench as well. Both are PH options so stay ready. 
    • I do not know if there were extenuating circumstances or not.  Could be it's a quieter locker room without the rest of the guys, which would make sense in a concussion situation.  So, maybe I did rush to an unfair conclusion here.  At the time, I felt like it more of a "spring training look" when the starters all leave the field after they're done playing.....so yes, there could be other very reasonable explanations. I'll stand corrected, and retract my conclusion.
    • Message to Coby.....you better learn how to use a glove.
    • Totally agree.  And at no point will some people be able to admit that the shiny, new rookie may be overmatched, and putting him just because hangouters want him in there may not be the best move for team chemistry or results  People need to earn their way when given a chance, and with where we are in the standings, leashes are going to be short.  We're not the White Sox who can afford to play anyone they want because it doesn't matter.
  • Popular Contributors