Extend Burnes

Big Al

I guess we don't know how deep Rubenstein's pockets are, but I'm skeptical of signing a pitcher with a declining strikeout rate to a contract that would probably have to be something north of 8/240. To tell the truth, I'd have to go into any long-term contract for any pitcher today assuming that you're going to get a healthy, effective pitcher for half of the total years of the deal. So is it ever worth it, except in rare cases where the pitcher's UCL happens to not shred?

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Im glad we are discussing this…I feel like it hasn’t been mentioned before.  😁

I understand, however the recent Means and Wells news puts a new spin. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I understand, however the recent Means and Wells news puts a new spin. 

Why?  Means was a FA after this season and Wells should never be counted on.

If anything, those injuries just highlight how risky it is to rely on pitchers.

I have said I would sign Burnes to a 5/200 deal…if I’m in favor of that, I guess I would have to do a 7/210 deal.

While I don’t believe he will be worth that, the team has no money long term and so many guys are set to make nothing for a while.

I would also offer him an opt out after 2 years.

None of those deals will get it done imo and I’m not going beyond that.  I don’t even really want to do that.  Should have traded for Cease as well.

Edited by Sports Guy

There will be more options on the market next season. We also should be looking at not yet established starters to trade for who we can develop. 

Trust in Elias and co. to do their job. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess we don't know how deep Rubenstein's pockets are, but I'm skeptical of signing a pitcher with a declining strikeout rate to a contract that would probably have to be something north of 8/240. To tell the truth, I'd have to go into any long-term contract for any pitcher today assuming that you're going to get a healthy, effective pitcher for half of the total years of the deal. So is it ever worth it, except in rare cases where the pitcher's UCL happens to not shred?

This is the second time (at least) that I've seen you reference his declining k rate as a reason against signing him. I'm actually a little surprised that you care how a guy is getting outs as long as he is getting them. I still see a very effective pitcher (not saying you've said anything to the contrary). Could be a change in philosophy for him, could be a few things. But as long as the ball isn't getting hit hard(er) off of him, and he's still got good WHIP and other peripheral numbers, the ONLY risk in signing him IMO is what you think of the durability of his arm. As we say, they all break. And they all get older. So signing any pitcher is going to carry some risk. Not telling you anything you don't already know. 

Shoot, I'd see if he'd go for 4/150 and bet on himself to get another 9 figure deal after that. I'd bet the farm he would get it unless he gets injured. IMO, after watching the Snell debacle, anything is possible in the SP contract landscape moving forward, and I have to think we have the inside track with Burnes if only because we're the team watching him up-close and personally this year and know his health status better than anyone.