Connor Norby 2024

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo will be heading to Sarasota within the week...he will have a short rehab stint and then if all goes well will return to Norfolk by third week in June...he'll be back..and soon..hopefully the Orioles bring him up when hes ready...he could be a lethal bat...

Could be.  Thanks for the update.

Norby's going to beat Whit Merrifield by about 27.3 - 24.0 at MLB debut age.

Merrifield was a vivid answer Norby gave back in the day to a question about a MLB player he kind of sees himself like.

I got to see Longenhagen at a prospect Q&A during AFL back in November say something like Norby's got a lot of dog in him.     I think he meant it good.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

That's true, and I could see them citing that if they do keep rolling with Urias.

I wonder how Mateo would do at 3b. He had 27 MLB innings there in 2021 (no starts though).

He’s got the arm for it I think. Probably just not the best utilization of his speed. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

In the post game Hyde said Norby will be in there tomorrow. 

Cool. I want to see Norby get a chance to prove himself. As another poster pointed out maybe Norby stays and Stowers goes down when Mateo returns. The Orioles could use another productive right handed bat on the roster.

I'm not used to the Orioles having this much talent at their disposal in the past Stowers and Norby are likely playing everyday already.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

He may get to lead the hitters meeting as the Jays probably need a AAA fill-in, not that I know if Norfolk has played Buffalo yet.

But they have surely played Buffalo sometime during Norby's 3 years there.

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Geoff Arnold reports on the broadcast Norby got the good news by phone call from Eve Rosenbaum.

Right after his bro finished his CWS regional game at ECU.  What a day for the Norby Family. 

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Good, let this guy get regular ABs until least Mateo gets back. The rest of the lineup is-doing well enough and Urias is perfect in the roll he plays now.

15 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I really didn't want to lump Mateo in with Urias. One is a guy that can be DFA'ed right now and the other does have value. That was an error on my part . I do agree that Mateo has played above expectations, but I still don't believe in his bat as an everyday option. His defense at 2nd has been excellent.

Mateo is nothing like Urias this season. Actually, for all Urias’ struggles he still has a .673 OPS. He’s had so few ABs that he’s a hot two game stretch away from .750. Maybe a good 5-9 stretch.

I like Norby. He looked decent in the field last night. He had a nice flip to Gunnar to start a double play. I don’t see why he can’t be a piece for us going forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mateo is nothing like Urias this season. Actually, for all Urias’ struggles he still has a .673 OPS. He’s had so few ABs that he’s a hot two game stretch away from .750. Maybe a good 5-9 stretch.

I like Norby. He looked decent in the field last night. He had a nice flip to Gunnar to start a double play. I don’t see why he can’t be a piece for us going forward. 

On one hand I want to say he just doesn’t have anywhere to play, on the other hand…he’s playing because of injuries/ineffectiveness of other players so while he seems buried in the depth chart and we’re barely in June and that depth is being utilized. 

I’ve been writing him off as a sure thing to be traded and never putting on an Orioles uniform. I’m reassessing that a little considering he hits right handed and I’m happy that Holliday wasn’t called back up for reasons of positional need rather than he’s actually ready.