Heyman: O’s Acquire Julio Teheran on minor league deal

1 hour ago, Orioles Jim said:

Certainly not, but the way Heyman worded it led me to wonder. And judging by the rest of the thread, that was a common sentiment.

Yes, it's disturbingly common for random people online to assume that Major League GMs make transaction decisions based on six-year-old rumors. And then actually post those thoughts without taking five seconds to think through whether that makes any sense whatsoever. Clancy the Beer Man knows Julio Teheran hasn't been an effective pitcher in five years, but somehow Mike Elias is blissfully unaware of this and just signed him to take us to October glory?

The most likely explanation here is that Norfolk needs a pitcher, and the O's scouts and analysts think that just maybe they can tweak enough to get him back to semi-serviceable MLB pitcher for deep depth.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Philip said:

They sure plopped Thyago Vieira into the pen without a second thought, and he is definitely a dead armadillo, so the concern is not groundless.

Absolutely it's groundless. Giving Vieira five batters of exposure in a 0.0 leverage index relief appearance, then releasing him, is very, very different than "plopping him into the starting rotation and expecting him to be a solution." I can't believe we're actually discussing this. There's zero indication that Elias wanted Vieria to be anything but a short-term mopup arm, but people were actually suggesting this means that Teheran was signed to go straight into the O's regular rotation? C'mon.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, it's disturbingly common for random people online to assume that Major League GMs make transaction decisions based on six-year-old rumors. And then actually post those thoughts without taking five seconds to think through whether that makes any sense whatsoever. Clancy the Beer Man knows Julio Teheran hasn't been an effective pitcher in five years, but somehow Mike Elias is blissfully unaware of this and just signed him to take us to October glory?

The most likely explanation here is that Norfolk needs a pitcher, and the O's scouts and analysts think that just maybe they can tweak enough to get him back to semi-serviceable MLB pitcher for deep depth.

Can’t help ya if you don’t read Jon Heyman’s words.

Which, to be fair, is probably for the best if you avoid reading him. 😂

It seems like Teheran wants a MLB job. He signed minor deals with us earlier, the Mets and the Cubs. And they DF'd him.  I doubt Teheran will stick around if we don't call him up to the club.  Teheran doesn't want to accept he is done.

12 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

It seems like Teheran wants a MLB job. He signed minor deals with us earlier, the Mets and the Cubs. And they DF'd him.  I doubt Teheran will stick around if we don't call him up to the club.  Teheran doesn't want to accept he is done.

Perhaps he thinks that the O's can straighten him out a bit, and that's the best shot he has at getting back the Majors. So far in 2024, between (mostly) AAA and the Majors he's pitched 35 innings and allowed 38 runs. He'd have to be wildly delusional to think he has any leverage at all, like threatening to leave the org if they don't call him up.

• Upvote 1

Had a peer who use to say, do stupid now and then just so all the stupids ya got to deal with think they be smarter. Probably not pertinent IMO in this case but somehow that came to mind. Back to my nap.

On the MASN telecast tonight, Geoff Arnold seemed to imply that Teheran was signed in order to start Thursday's finale vs the Jays.

Not sure if he was guessing, or if he knows something we have yet to hear elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

On the MASN telecast tonight, Geoff Arnold seemed to imply that Teheran was signed in order to start Thursday's finale vs the Jays.

Not sure if he was guessing, or if he knows something we have yet to hear elsewhere.

I hope it was speculation on Arnold's part because I don't like the idea of Teheran getting a start right away when he's signed to a minor league contract.

7 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Had a peer who use to say, do stupid now and then just so all the stupids ya got to deal with think they be smarter. Probably not pertinent IMO in this case but somehow that came to mind. Back to my nap.

Strategic stupidity...  I wonder if Sigbot just woke up from his nap.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Absolutely it's groundless. Giving Vieira five batters of exposure in a 0.0 leverage index relief appearance, then releasing him, is very, very different than "plopping him into the starting rotation and expecting him to be a solution." I can't believe we're actually discussing this. There's zero indication that Elias wanted Vieria to be anything but a short-term mopup arm, but people were actually suggesting this means that Teheran was signed to go straight into the O's regular rotation? C'mon.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Absolutely it's groundless. Giving Vieira five batters of exposure in a 0.0 leverage index relief appearance, then releasing him, is very, very different than "plopping him into the starting rotation and expecting him to be a solution." I can't believe we're actually discussing this. There's zero indication that Elias wanted Vieria to be anything but a short-term mopup arm, but people were actually suggesting this means that Teheran was signed to go straight into the O's regular rotation? C'mon..

I was being mildly humorous, but also agreeing that Tehran starting on Thursday is not an impossibility. Probably won’t happen, but isn't impossible. Sheesh. Come on….

is it impossible for you to understand?

Edited by Philip

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I was being mildly humorous, but also agreeing that Tehran starting on Thursday is not an impossibility. Probably won’t happen, but isn't impossible. Sheesh. Come on….

is it impossible for you to understand?

I get that if the situation presented himself Teheran could get a spot start, because someone has to and when he's inevitably DFA'd no one would care. But the implication was that he was a "solution" to some supposed hole in the Orioles' rotation. Solution, to me, means plug him in there every five days for the rest of the year, which is totally preposterous unless Elias and Co think they have some kind of infomercial one easy trick to fix for all that's wrong with him.