Gammons: Steven Strasburg demands

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mechanics aside, I take Strasburg if he falls and give him a record deal. He's MLB ready now and even if he does break down, I'm sure we'll get equal value out of his deal.

I don't think that is necessary... Call his bluff, offer him Price money + 10% and at 11:59 the night of the deadline the odds are significantly in favor of the team that he'll sign. Anything more than that would essentially be throwing money away.

I don't think that is necessary... Call his bluff, offer him Price money + 10% and at 11:59 the night of the deadline the odds are significantly in favor of the team that he'll sign. Anything more than that would essentially be throwing money away.
Might need more than Price + 10%, but I think your idea is the right one.

I really doubt he'll turn down a record contract.

Of course, if you wait until 11:59pm, then it most likely can't be an MLB-deal, it'd have to be a minor league deal with a huge signing bonus.

Might need more than Price + 10%, but I think your idea is the right one.

I really doubt he'll turn down a record contract.

Of course, if you wait until 11:59pm, then it most likely can't be an MLB-deal, it'd have to be a minor league deal with a huge signing bonus.

It will take more than Wieters I would think.

I just saw an article on SI.com by Heyman saying that this situation is already heating up. Glad this is not our problem. The Nats are starting to make the previous Orioles administration (before A McP) look not so bad.

http://tinyurl.com/cbr4bt

"He is Sidd [bleeping] Finch," Boras allegedly said.

hahah Boras has huge brass ones.

This one is iffy to me, in regards to signing him or not. Here's my logic:

The issue isn't talent, it is precedent. We're talking about taking slotted salary -- and escalating it 400%. In addition, it'd be paying the money to a #5overall pick, not the top pick. There's a process of negotiation involved in this, and outright satisfying the demands of Boras could potentially have negative implications for future situations involving Boras. This kid is an ace, an elite talent, ready for the majors now -- I get it. I've also heard it before. The only way to tell if this kid is truely worth 50 million, in my opinion, is empirical in nature. To demand that money, you've got to be a sure thing. You have to have done it before. Quite frankly, I don't care how good you are in college, or what your scouting report says -- things that appear too good to be true, probably are.

I tend to "LOL" at people that hate Boras, the Yankees etc for their lucrative ways.

They are playing a game by a certain set of rules, and they are very very good at it.

You all would love to have Boras represent you, I'm sure, if you could earn 60% more at your current job.

Hate the rules as they are (and I do, believe me) but not the people playing by them.

I tend to "LOL" at people that hate Boras, the Yankees etc for their lucrative ways.

They are playing a game by a certain set of rules, and they are very very good at it.

You all would love to have Boras represent you, I'm sure, if you could earn 60% more at your current job.

Hate the rules as they are (and I do, believe me) but not the people playing by them.

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3: Very, very well said.

Archived