06/11 Roster Moves: Mateo reinstated from Concussion List and Bryan Baker recalled. (Coulombe to 15 Day IL and Norby back to Norfolk)

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Could it be this is just a precautionary load management move like they did with Grayson? 

Let’s hope so. He’s been really good lately though and hasn’t been pitching a crazy amount. He is on pace for almost 15 more innings than last year (which was already a career high) but seems like they definitely could use him for the NYY series.

3 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I'm not pouring through the numbers right now, but my best recollection from Norfolk box score-watching is that Baker has put together a string of very successful relief performances over the past couple weeks. Maybe he's ironed something out down there. 

Found it - 8 of his last 9 outings were scoreless.

8.2 IP 10K 3BB 3ER (all coming in one outing in late-May)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I would rather just sign Jorge Lopez than have Bryan Baker here.

I don't know what Lopez's state of mind is right now (look at his blow up with the Mets), but if he's in condition to pitch then I'd rather take a chance on him over Baker.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Obviously we don't know and any pitcher's arm could go poof anytime, but I do feel like "inflammation" on a standalone basis is code for load management.

Coulombe's a good enough pitcher to rate some attrition protection.

If rule setters want to slow the carousel a little, they could think about 20 or 30 day minimums for this kind of stuff some other CBA.

I'll guess like Grayson he will not require a minor league rehab outing when the time's up.

This upcoming stretch of games seems like a poor time to play the load management game. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could it be this is just a precautionary load management move like they did with Grayson? 

Not with Atlanta, Philly and the Yankees all falling within his 15 days.  You couldn’t pick a worse time for “load management.”   What a terrible time for us to be without our best lefty reliever.   

We could use 3 relievers really. 

Someone to replace Danny, someone to replace Tate, and someone to replace Akin. 

Better hope Perez continues to be good. 

I would do whatever it takes to get Tanner Scott, as well as some more under-the-radar cheaper guys. I dunno man. Elias has his work cut out. Good luck, bud. 

Edited by interloper

So Baker has been "better" recently. He's still not as good as Vespi and now this pushes Perez and Akin into higher leverage lefty roles.

Absolute terrible timing w/ the next 9 nine games coming up.