How far do you go to try to save this?

vab

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Payroll obviously matters, look at the history of World Series winners in the last 15- 20 years. I never said it didn’t.

You don't see a conflict between the above quote and this one? " My point was and is OWNERSHIP/THE TOP OF ANY EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION MATTERS. Not the Dodgers payroll. "

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Elias is going to try and add another starting pitcher for depth as the #3 in this rotation. Irvin and Suarez have been good surprises, but I don't know if you can count on the both of them starting every 5 days for the rest of the season.

An established veteran starter would go a long way to bolster the starting rotation for the second half of the season.

I'm an Irvin believer.  That doesn't mean I think he's an ace, but I think he can be good to very good.  Whatever they've done with him since he's arrived here has helped him tremendously.

I'm not so sure about Suarez.  

I agree that they'll try to add another starter but it's not going to be an ace.

For a team that had pitching questions and drafts offense only at the top of the draft, I'm rather impressed this team is still afloat with a rotation consisting of what is probably our #1, #3, #6, #8 and #9 best starters. With 4 SPs on the shelf, the depth is gone, though Kremer coming back helps there...but the team feels like it at least needs a guy to slot after Grayson and ahead of Irvin in a playoff rotation. On the low end, that would be someone like Fedde. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm an Irvin believer.  That doesn't mean I think he's an ace, but I think he can be good to very good.  Whatever they've done with him since he's arrived here has helped him tremendously.

I'm not so sure about Suarez.  

I agree that they'll try to add another starter but it's not going to be an ace.

You should write a song about it. I'll buy it on Spotify.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

The issue is not if Elias/Sig are great at drafting, talent developing, or utilizing data science to improve performance; the most obviously are.

I see two critical questions that need to be answered: 1) What type of meaningful support will Rubenstien provide for Elias? (I know some just want an owner to stay out of the way. And continue to adhere to “budget ball” principles. But I am concerned that will not be enough. Great orgs/companies most often have great leadership flowing from the top.)

2) Can Elias/Sig continue to adapt their processes and methodologies given the change in competitive reality/expectations? And can they continue to find new ways to exploit market m/industry inequitIes?

Be  , regarding your first question, I believe Mr Rubenstein can be the ‘great leadership’ at the top, along with Elias and Sig . He needs be make financial commitment to Orioles continue success also . The big question, will he ?   Time will tell us 

Your second question I already answered in my previous reply to your post . But I will repeat it for you . Yes I do believe Elias and Sig can and will use exploit new technology and principles to help Orioles now and in future.  
Your previous post mentioned that Orioles will be drafting near the bottom of 1st round , which is true . But drafting low hasn’t stopped Dodgers , Yankees, Braves, Rays , Brewers , etc from being contenders. I can’t see why it should stop Orioles either 

18 hours ago, vab said:

With a front line starter out for the year and probably our best reliever so far out for months from a bullpen that already needed help, we're now looking at trying to get at least a mid-rotation starter and at least two relievers at the deadline. For that kind of help in a seller's market with so many teams still in playoff contention, I don't think the Norbys and Stowerses are going to do it. How much are you willing to give up to try to save this thing?

Well, then what could you get for Burns if you were "punting" for next year?

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think trading Kjerstad would be a huge mistake given that we likely lose Santander and later, Mullins. Also, Mayo and Basallo are off limits for me..

Yeah, I know we want to win a WS, but I think we need another year or so to evaluate these top prospects. I'd rather have the "opportunity to win a WS" for 7 or 8 years then "go all in" for two years.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Half of me thinks they should bring Mayo, Norby, and Kjerstad up and just let them play out the string so they get valuable experience and we have a better picture of who they are against MLB pitching and see where the chips fall with the rotation and the pen.

Are you not saying Holliday there too because of the current small injury, or do you feel like he has played his way out of that range?

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

You don't see a conflict between the above quote and this one? " My point was and is OWNERSHIP/THE TOP OF ANY EFFECTIVE ORGANIZATION MATTERS. Not the Dodgers payroll. "

No. My point was that ownership matters. My main point was not to get into a quibble about the Dodgers historical payrolls. 

I see how you/anyone could have been confused with my word choice. My apology.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Burnes would bring an absolute haul for a contender.

Yeah, I mean I know they won't trade him, but they absolutely could get better than what they gave for him. And if the arms we need to add are not available for reasonable prices, then maybe you cash in on Burns. I know this is not historically how teams do business, but....

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Are you not saying Holliday there too because of the current small injury, or do you feel like he has played his way out of that range?

He's hurt right now, yeah.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Some of what I think is unique about the position this decade is this CBA they literally changed the rules so no one can do what Elias did.

It is a year ending in "4" so it might be time again for Toronto to tamper with the Orioles general manager.

Yeah , regarding the new CBA , one change I noticed is for draft .  The 2022  Orioles is the last team to pick 1st overall without lottery pick system began in 2023 . The idea behind lottery pick system is MLB frowns upon tanking teams . Did they done this in response to Elias  ?   Have no idea 

Regarding Toronto ‘tampering’ with Elias away the Orioles ?  I haven’t heard any rumors of that . Plus why would Elias want to leave Orioles for Toronto ?