Basallo for Crochet?

caljr

With Basallo getting pulled from today's Baysox game, I started thinking, maybe he isn't completely untouchable. I know there is a lot of talk about the White Sox making Crochet available. So, my question for the board, would you do this trade straight up? For me, it's a little risky to give up Basallo for Crochet due to his lack of innings throughout the course of his career, but I could see the Os doing it with the big need for a starter to go in the top of the rotation with Means and Bradish gone. It also gives us a top of rotation option next year with the likelihood that we lose Burnes in free agency. 

No.  I love Crochet’s talent and he could make a difference in the playoffs and, best case scenario, be in our rotation in 25 and 26.   I would be willing to do a deal involving Kjerstad but that’s as far as I would go.   It’s doubtful another team is going to give up a higher rated prospect than Kjerstad.  If they say no, move on.

There’s too much uncertainty with Crochet’s health and availability to give up 6 years of a potential star.   The fact that Basallo is a catcher is also great insurance.  We have more depth in the infield and outfield.   Kjerstad is also a potential slugger but not as integral and certainly not the pedigree of Basallo. 

Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon is in the ballpark, IMO.   I think that’s tough for the WS to pass on.

Crochet while pitching great this year isn't worth giving up Basallo. If Crochet established that he could be durable like Corben Burnes and give you over 150 innings then you think about parting with a top prospect like Basallo.

Crochet has already reached a career high in innings and has an injury history. You can't give up a top prospect only to shelve Crochet in September because he has a tired arm.

I'm not against trading for Crochet, but I doubt there's a trade package Elias would be comfortable giving up that also meets the White Sox trade demands.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Crochet while pitching great this year isn't worth giving up Basallo. If Crochet established that he could be durable like Corben Burnes and give you over 150 innings then you think about parting with a top prospect like Basallo.

Crochet has already reached a career high in innings and has an injury history. You can't give up a top prospect only to shelve Crochet in September because he has a tired arm.

I'm not against trading for Crochet, but I doubt there's a trade package Elias would be comfortable giving up that also meets the White Sox trade demands.

I don't think there are injury concerns going forward with Crochet. I also don't believe that him likely hitting an innings limit this season is "BS". You don't throw a guy 190 IP after 12 in 2 years, especially if you are trading away a lot of talent for him. You protect that asset.

Just now, Malike said:

I don't think there are injury concerns going forward with Crochet. I also don't believe that him likely hitting an innings limit this season is "BS". You don't throw a guy 190 IP after 12 in 2 years, especially if you are trading away a lot of talent for him. You protect that asset.

How can you say a guy who has had TJ surgery, a shoulder injury and is about to blow past his career high innings total doesn’t have injury concerns?  That doesn’t make sense.  

The odds are high that he will get hurt again

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

How can you say a guy who has had TJ surgery, a shoulder injury and is about to blow past his career high innings total doesn’t have injury concerns?  That doesn’t make sense.  

The odds are high that he will get hurt again

So guys who have had TJS are all just waiting to get another? He had a shoulder issue last year but he's a big strong kid and he sure as hell doesn't look like he's about to break. If they throw him 200 IP then, sure, they can break him. You're acting like every guy who had TJS or missed time with an injury is a huge risk going forward and that's dumb.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

So guys who have had TJS are all just waiting to get another? He had a shoulder issue last year but he's a big strong kid and he sure as hell doesn't look like he's about to break. If they throw him 200 IP then, sure, they can break him. You're acting like every guy who had TJS or missed time with an injury is a huge risk going forward and that's dumb.

Once you have had one, your likelihood for another jumps.

So yes, he’s more susceptible.

And yes players don’t tend to get healthier after having a history of poor health as they get older.

Crochet isn’t a bet im making with any of our top 3 prospects. It’s illogical and a poor bet to make.

And yes players don’t tend to get healthier after having a history of poor health as they get older.

Crochet isn’t a bet im making with any of our top 3 prospects. It’s illogical and a poor bet to make.

Not trying to snipe here but do you have a source for that?

I'd like to read it.

I never said anything about trading for him. I said I believe he is at no greater risk of injury going forward than any other pitcher in baseball if they don't throw him 180 IP this season. Every pitcher has missed time, most have had TJS, they are all risks by that logic.

Imagine Adley had been drafted out of high school, was crushing AA in 2011 at age 19, and projected to be in the majors in 2013. Recall that Wieters debuted in 2009. In that way, it would be a similar situation to Basallo/Adley. Now imagine that the O's were one year ahead of schedule and were contenders in 2011 rather than 2012. In that way, it would be similar to the O's being contenders now.

In this hypothetical, the O's trade Adley for a starter. Say Jair Jurrjens, who was 25 in 2011 and led the league in wins/ERA by the break that year and was an all star. Before 2011, Jurjens had a 3.52 ERA in 92 starts and finished top-three in ROY voting in 2008. He wasn't a free agent until after the 2012 season. He was a good, young pitcher who was not a rental. Garrett Crochet is similarly 25 years old, has a 3.52 ERA this year, and is not a rental.

Now let's revisit what happened to those players in reality. Wieters missed most of 2014/2015 to TJ and played his final season for the Orioles in 2016. Jurjens fell apart literally and figuratively as he posted a 6.26 ERA for the rest of 2011 owing to an injury that ended his season. Jurjens suffered another injury in 2012 and was optioned with an ERA around 10. He then signed with the Orioles in 2011 for $1.5 million and rode the carousel between Norfolk/Baltimore. He was never relevant again.

The only reason you trade Basallo is if you think what he is doing is a mirage and that he's not as good as his stats/age indicate. Because otherwise, I'm not trading one of the best prospects in baseball based on the illusion that we have no need for a catcher/plus bat or that a starting pitcher is going to fix all of our problems.

• Upvote 2