3 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I think it’s risky to avoid an entire demographic because of risk. Henderson, Holliday, and Mayo, three of our best prospects over the past few years were high school players.

I don’t disagree with you. It just seems like we don’t do it unless we have a lot of conviction on that player. What other reasoning is there?

they’ve only taken 2 hs pitchers in the last 4 drafts, and 1 is constantly injured and the other got traded within a year. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

I don’t disagree with you. It just seems like we don’t do it unless we have a lot of conviction on that player. What other reasoning is there?

they’ve only taken 2 hs pitchers in the last 4 drafts, and 1 is constantly injured and the other got traded within a year. 

I think if they had hit on guys like Fabian, Wagner, Watson, Haskin, etc. I’d find it less annoying, but they haven’t.

44 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

We’ve only averaged like one or two a year…and haven’t always signed them. 

Lott and Ritchie in 2023 - did not sign 

holiday and showalter in 2022 - both signed

creed in 2021 - signed 

2020 - mayo and baumler (shortened draft - both signed)  

Prep players just isn’t a part of Elias’s strategy. Too much risk I expect? 

Gunnar.

There's always a reason behind the HS picks.  But Elias does prefer the extra data against higher level competition.  And the draft pool allocation.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

image.thumb.png.1ab5d084646a020348243f4c56e8265f.png

That’s really interesting.  For one thing, I didn’t know they had DRS at the college level.   But to have the top 3 in one organization is appealing.  Now, can any of them become decent hitters?  TBD.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

image.thumb.png.1ab5d084646a020348243f4c56e8265f.png

If you don’t draft pitching, just draft elite defenders to help out your pitching! All 3 of the top outfield defenders from 2023 in the same system. I’ve seen different evaluators claim Honeycutt or overn as the best defensive cfs in 2024, and one claimed Honeycutt was the best defender in college regardless of position. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s really interesting.  For one thing, I didn’t know they had DRS at the college level.   But to have the top 3 in one organization is appealing.  Now, can any of them become decent hitters?  TBD.

There is a site that tracks it independently. I think it's SIS if I recall correctly.

Yes, it's Sports Info Solutions.

We track college baseball data across Division I, charting as many games as we can. That allows us to use what we call our “Synthetic Statcast” tool to calculate some statistics that you normally wouldn’t be able to get. Here’s where Honeycutt ranks in Hard-Hit Rate and Barrel Rate among players in major conferences

Hard Hit % Barrel %
49.4% (97th) 12.8% (93rd)
Edited by Malike
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm sure all the other teams knew about them.

Most murder mysteries are easier to figure out than the O's approach to the draft these days.  My early guess?  They believe they can carry one defense only player if he's really, really good and it's a premium position - any offensive value is a bonus.

Somebody will have to explain to me the catcher fetish and the lack of pitching interest though.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Seems like more data and analytics the less HS players. The main issue with HS players to me is overslot. The Mariners almost paid double slot money to their second round pick. Someone needs to get with these agents and show them the data. William Schmidt turning down 3-5 million dollars to go to LSU seems like a risk I wouldn’t take at 18 years old.