Why Pie now?

wildcard

Regarding my original post and wanting to compete now, I get what you guys are all saying (predictable I might add), but my point is this: It's okay to give Pie 300 at bats this season, just do it in July through September! He can pinch run and defensively replace for the first couple months. Who knows, maybe we're hovering around .500 in late June and we bring up the pitching cavalry.

What's the advantage of sitting him on the bench for 3 months over starting him now? If you're thinking that we start Wiggy at DH and put Scott in LF full time, then you're giving up our primary pinch hitter from the bench and diminishing the quality of our defense in LF in order to get a guy full time play (Wiggy) who's clearly best used situationally.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but at times he looked terrible at the plate as some here apparently forget.

Also, perhaps Crowley can work with Pie and get him to shorten his swing.

That's been what this spring has been all about for Pie & Crowley. Here is the latest from Roch & Dave Trembley:

"I think his last nine at-bats have been very good," Trembley said. "Much more under control. Much more compact swing. Not as many wild, out-of-control swings. Not chasing pitches out of the strike zone. A lot more deep counts. But he's a guy who, every morning, has to meet with Crow. They can't let him slip back into that area where he had a comfort zone, and that comfort zone wasn't allowing him the amount of success that we think he can get if he stays with what Crow wants him to do."

I think if there's a guy that can get Pie to turn it around and develop his swing, it's Crow.

Sorry folks, but I'm really starting to get irked at our writing off this season before it starts. I WANT TO COMPETE.

Starting Pie over Scott, Wiggington, Montanez, Reimold and maybe even Freel is bothersome. I know all about his potential and needing a chance, but why not put him on the bench (or minimal duty) until we are eliminated/July and then let him get his experimental at bats? And please stop comparing this situation to Adam Jones - we had nobody else to play his position.

If I'm a veteran, giving this kid a shot he hasn't earned would really tick me off. I'll bet Trembley is grinding his teeth.

I'll bet Felix is a great kid, but sadly I find myself already rooting against him.

I want to take the two points of your post, and examine them -- starting Pie in LF and "competing." I assure you, the two are not linked. In fact, I don't see a correlation at all. The difference between an Orioles team that finishes .500+ and the Orioles team we'll likely see this year is the pitching staff. There just ain't no other way, the Orioles do not have the arms to compete in the AL east. Putting Pie in LF is a perfect fit for this season.

I get the idea of wanting to start Reimold, or Scott -- I understand. I want the best players to play as well. But for a team that isn't competing this year, young players need to be given their chance. Luke Scott hitting 25 HR's would be great, but it doesn't have nearly the same value if Pie finally gets comfortable in LF this season. If you ask me, you can take all the stats that Reimold, Scott, Wiggy -- everyone, and combine them... they don't compare when you consider them against a potentially starting caliber player in Pie. We know what we have with the vets, let Pie work himself off the team for a season, not 10 AB's.

I sort of agree with you but the same can be said of Montanez or even Reimold. The Orioles seem to be a notorious bad judge of what talent to trade or retain. Examples of this are easily found such as Jack Cust, John Maine, Willie Harris, and Jason Wyerth.

I don't agree with you at all... none of the players that you mention had the potential and tools that Pie has. Each had huge holes that kept them from being considered a 5 tool top prospect. Now, Pie's potential has not translated in his ML opportunities - but he has shown that potential in the minors and that is why you give him every opportunity on the big league club.

In the Oriole Hangout system, toolsy players with a high but unproven ceiling are considered especially heinous. On the OH, the dedicated posters who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the I Am A Victim Of MacPhail Unit. These are their stories.

Markakis was a very disciplined hitter even in his first year.

Felix Pie has had 287 Plate Appearances at the major league level, and has taken 19 unintentional walks.

In Nick Markakis's first 285 PAs at the major league level, he took 22 unintentional walks.

No, Pie isn't as patient as Markakis was, but he's also probably not as awful as he's shown, especially given the inconsistent nature of his playing time.

Pie has had 1,241 PAs at the AAA level over 3 years starting at age 21, and he hit a combined .300/.350/.478 during that time.

In the PCL which is a hitter's league. Scott Moore also did well in the PCL but International League pitching, much like ML pitching and the parks are tougher to hit in...

Pie's MLE splits for last season in AAA are .236/.275/.367/.642 which seem right in line with what he is doing thus far in ST and what he's done in the majors...

In the PCL which is a hitter's league. Scott Moore also did well in the PCL but International League pitching, much like ML pitching and the parks are tougher to hit in...

Pie's MLE splits for last season in AAA are .236/.275/.367/.642 which seem right in line with what he is doing thus far in ST and what he's done in the majors...

And the DT's for his 2007 stint are 316/.364/.502. We can all cherry pick data.

Cardinal radio announcers have twice mentioned how great they think Pie has looked in LF today. They said he's been getting great jumps on everything hit to left and that his speed has turned several potential hits into routine outs.

He just flagged down a hard hit liner off of Colby Rasumus' bat to retire him for the first time today and the Card announcers said Pie made the play easily.

Archived