Bowden on some Os related deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

17 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Its the years of control with the #2 thats the problem. We have 6 years of Basallo. Elias clearly puts alot of value in that, as he should.

Also, the Adley years are three after this season. Unlikely Basallo starts with the team next year so at most he's part of two years of AR. They can split Catching duties which should keep both bats fresh. 

Hopefully it extends Adleys longevity as well.  

13 hours ago, PHRESH said:

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

I agree

14 hours ago, PHRESH said:

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

So, I get it, however, even moving Kjerstad has to be thought of considering the long-term plan. Are they extending Santander? He's a FA this winter and he'll be more expensive to keep. The Orioles still have to operate as a mid-market team and that means keeping guys like Kjerstad. Now, does that mean he's untouchable? No, but I'd like to see him in RF next year and beyond. Santander is a good player and I've said so often through his years with the team, but time to say goodbye and thank you. I'll say the same for Mullins and Hays. If Basallo, Mayo, or Holliday aren't expendable for the current market then neither should Kjerstad. Does anyone really think his bat won't be more productive than Santander's in the near future?

We have guys in the system who should be productive for years as Orioles' players. Let's hold on to them for as long as possible unless it's the right deal.  And that doesn't include guys who will be unavailable to pitch in the post season this year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, PHRESH said:

They've been starting Kjerstad in LF and he's been making all the routine catches as far as I know. Im inclined to hang onto him at the moment.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

So, I get it, however, even moving Kjerstad has to be thought of considering the long-term plan. Are they extending Santander? He's a FA this winter and he'll be more expensive to keep. The Orioles still have to operate as a mid-market team and that means keeping guys like Kjerstad. Now, does that mean he's untouchable? No, but I'd like to see him in RF next year and beyond. Santander is a good player and I've said so often through his years with the team, but time to say goodbye and thank you. I'll say the same for Mullins and Hays. If Basallo, Mayo, or Holliday aren't expendable for the current market then neither should Kjerstad. Does anyone really think his bat won't be more productive than Santander's in the near future?

We have guys in the system who should be productive for years as Orioles' players. Let's hold on to them for as long as possible unless it's the right deal.  And that doesn't include guys who will be unavailable to pitch in the post season this year.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

They've been starting Kjerstad in LF and he's been making all the routine catches as far as I know. Im inclined to hang onto him at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this process of developing talent and shipping out/letting walk the vets looking for big contracts. I agree re: Kjerstad. I would love to see him become the man here. 

16 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Are they extending Santander? He's a FA this winter and he'll be more expensive to keep.

I think a team like the Orioles don't really have the luxury of extending a pretty good 30-year-old outfielder.

Always take bb-ref comps with a grain of salt, but Santander's top comps through age 28 include:

Jay Gibbons (less than 200 PAs after 30)
Mark Trumbo (below replacement from 31-on)
Carlos Quentin (below replacement from 31-on)
Deron Johnson (1.6 WAR in 3198 PAs from 31-on)
Willie Kirkland (productive career over at 28)
Bo Jackson (yes, injuries, but done at 31)
Nick Esasky (last good year at 29)
Josh Reddick (OPS'd .711 with 2 WAR from 31-on)

Also Paul O'Neill and Jay Buhner. So 8/10 would have been terrible choices to extend at 30.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think a team like the Orioles don't really have the luxury of extending a pretty good 30-year-old outfielder.

Always take bb-ref comps with a grain of salt, but Santander's top comps through age 28 include:

Jay Gibbons (less than 200 PAs after 30)
Mark Trumbo (below replacement from 31-on)
Carlos Quentin (below replacement from 31-on)
Deron Johnson (1.6 WAR in 3198 PAs from 31-on)
Willie Kirkland (productive career over at 28)
Bo Jackson (yes, injuries, but done at 31)
Nick Esasky (last good year at 29)
Josh Reddick (OPS'd .711 with 2 WAR from 31-on)

Also Paul O'Neill and Jay Buhner. So 8/10 would have been terrible choices to extend at 30.

We have plenty of options with Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, and Bill Cook. Plus we have O’Hearn. Plus Hays and Mullins each for 1 more year.

Edited by Roll Tide