6 possible rental relievers

OriolesMagic83

Locked on Orioles podcast reviews 6 rental relievers (contract for only this year) who the O's could trade for.

6.  John Brebbia, White Sox

5.  Adam Ottavino, Mets

4.  Carlos Estevez, Angels

3.  Paul Sewald, D Backs

2.  Yimi Garcia, Blue Jays

1.  David Robertson, Rangers

Listed in the order they appear in the video, which is also the host's view of their value--increasing to Robertson at the top.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Locked on Orioles podcast reviews 6 rental relievers (contract for only this year) who the O's could trade for.

5.  Adam Ottavino, Mets

3.  Paul Sewald, D Backs

Listed in the order they appear in the video, which is also the host's view of their value--increasing to Robertson at the top.

Sewald and Garcia are the only ones I'd even consider.

Estevez interests me. He was AL relief PoM inJune. Seems to have figured himself out since leaving Colorado. Was good last year though appeared to tire by the end of the season. He's throwing strikes and not walking guys. According to MLBTR, "Estévez is making $6.75MM before returning to free agency next winter. He’s owed just under $3MM for the rest of the season. That’d drop to roughly $2.18MM in remaining commitments by the deadline." That means if you take on all of the contract you may not need to give up too much in prospect capital. 

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

5.  Adam Ottavino, Mets

3.  Paul Sewald, D Backs

I prefer going longer ….Kelley and Cleavinger from Tampa.

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I think we could add a guy like Lucas Ercegg from Oakland for a reasonable price.   He would be an immediate upgrade over Baker and Tate

I don't see why they would trade a guy who has five more years of control. I also don't see why we would burn so much prospect capital for five years of a reliever vs fill RP with a 1-2 year rental and try to develop guys more cheaply for the longer term.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If the D-backs are selling I would be all over Gallen.

Gallen has one year of control left beyond this season. Asking price is likely to be high though. Gallen is much more likely to pitch into October as opposed to Crochet. If the goal is deep playoff run this year then Gallen is the better bet.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• No, not at all. Im saying guys who hammer the ball and show a lot of characteristics of good hitters are more prone to be good at hitting a baseball than players who don’t do those things. Yes he has a hole in his swing and if he never gets better, never develops and never learns anything, he is likely no more than a really good fielding, platoon guy with elite speed..which still makes him one of our 3 best OFers.
    • Looks like his 100 PA rolling xwOBA going back to the end of May has hovered between .330 and .360 for the most part, without ever falling below league average. That probably only covers his last 30 games though, which were better production wise at least than the 30 games before that.  
    • OMG, I just started a super similar poll/thread!! LOL!! It's now deleted.
    • I think Owen Murphy by himself would be a bit ambitious if he was healthy. Although FG has him as #10 in an admittedly bottom 1/3 system, he's still a 45 FV prospect and has a fairly large amount of helium. Just for reference that would put him in the same neighborhood as Beavers. Given that he just had TJS, he might be available at a discount, though If I'm the Braves I probably just wait rather than sell low. 
    • In order of preference to trade: Mayo Basallo Holliday Mayo is going to be a big time power hitter, but his defense just isn't where it needs to be. Maybe 1B eventually, but the Orioles just don't value 1B as a defensive position. They'd rather coach people up to it (see: Santander, Urias, etc.) or bring it outsiders (O'Hearn). Basallo I'm very high on. I have no idea about how his size and defense will play in the long run at C. His future might very well be a power hitting, LHH 1B/DH. But if C is in play, that is super powerful for this organization because you can rotate Adley and Basallo at C, and play Basallo at 1B when he's not catching. Holliday is special, SSS in the majors be damned. His ceiling is SS, but that is going to be at odds w/ Gunnar, so 2B it is. But the speed is there. I can easily see Holliday being a 20/20 or a 30/30 guy year in and year out w/ an exceptional eye/patience. That is incredibly valuable. And he's only 20.  There isn't a sizable gap between Holliday and Basallo for me on how special they both are, just so we're clear.
    • How do you think the unthinkable?               Mike Tyson:  With an ithberg.
    • Definitely would be willing to trade a lot more for Skubal considering he would have 2 additional years team control after this season if I were the Os. He would slot into Burns role next year as the TOR with Grayson after him 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now