Introducing Catie Griggs - President of Business Operations

86this

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The question I always have about this type of hire: who are they replacing? And if they're not replacing anybody, what role does this help that we didn't have before? 

My guess is she fills the position once held by John Angelos but only on the business side of things.  Jerry Dipoto was still handling baseball operations when they were both with the Mariners.

- I think that it’s a good sign that we poached from another club; I recognize she wanted to be East Coast, but it’s still positive when someone chooses your ballclub for a lateral move

- They didn’t layer Elias and Catie has experience in Seattle working under a similar org structure 

- She is very qualified and relatively young; in my view represents a further professionalization of the club (owner taking less of a role in the day to day operations)

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, 86this said:

My guess is she fills the position once held by John Angelos but only on the business side of things.  Jerry Dipoto was still handling baseball operations when they were both with the Mariners.

That'd actually be good news because it means that Rubenstein (and his PE buddies) aren't that involved. 

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The question I always have about this type of hire: who are they replacing? And if they're not replacing anybody, what role does this help that we didn't have before? 

Have we ever had this big a chunk of $$$ to spend on stadium enhancements before?

3 hours ago, 86this said:

She recently resigned from the same role with the Seattle Mariners, citing her desire to be back on the East Coast and closer to family.  Her first day with the Orioles will be August 19, 2024.

https://www.mlb.com/news/catie-griggs-named-orioles-president-of-business-operations

Her 3 years with the Mariners resulted in the 2023 All-Star Game and the 2024 NHL Winter Classic.  She also has some time with the MLS Atlanta United front-office.

I see it as good to have someone focus on ballpark improvements and community affairs.  

Maybe we can have an all star game and winter classic in the near future too!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Upper Deck John said:

Maybe we can have an all star game and winter classic in the near future too!

I'm expecting the All-Star game soon.

I would have said as quickly as possible after the sale but now I think they will wait until the renovations are complete.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting the All-Star game soon.

I would have said as quickly as possible after the sale but now I think they will wait until the renovations are complete.

I heard from an OPACY staffer that he was told the 2029 ASG is slated for Camden Yards.  (A worker, not an executive.)

15 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Looks like they are doing to Greg Bader what the O’s previously to Mike Flanagan.  Flanagan was the top baseball exec but his title was EVP of Baseball Ops, and then they brought in Andy McPhail as President of Baseball Ops over him, thereby usurping his authority as top man in the department.   Bader has held the title EVP of Business Ops for a couple of years, reporting directly to ownership, and now he’ll have a President of Business Ops over him.  

It will be interesting to see if Elias is given the President of Bsseball Ops title at some point.  

• Upvote 1